• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

Sam Ash

Any member here who has had the opportunity to use and/or experience both the Trinnov Altitude 16 and Acurus Muse?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not know if this will help. But posted below are my measurement graphs as measured per speaker by the trinnov’s sensitive microphone—before, after and the graphs of correction filters used
View attachment 185516
WOW!!
Not in my near terms plans, but this Trinnov is slowly becoming the control center of my endgame audio/video system ... for now .. :D

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your least expensive option is the Monolith HTP-1 as Denon and Marantz can't even manage two independent subwoofers.

Can you elaborate on this? D+M can only time align two subs but the LFE channel is mono anyway so does it mean the HTP-1 can not only time aligned 3 subs but also EQ them independently for use with the non LFE signal?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's actually a 20 channel processor with full and sophisticated DSP control of all 20 channels. The room eq and 3d remapping is part of the cost, but it also has DSP controls similar to a mini DSP for 20 channels. It can be used to control a fully active system without an external DSP crossover which helps simplify a system and reduce the need for either digital outs (which is uncommon) or redundant AD/DA conversion and loss of sound quality in a less than SOTA DSP. Most DSP processors would not measure up to ASR standards either (This actually measures quite well).

Thank you for the info but I was just counting the number of DACs Trinnov vs his Topping D90 that JohnV was comparing their prices. So my point is that for Trinnov to implement their DACs to match the performance level of the D90, the cost will no longer be a case of say $700 vs $17,000 because there will be 16 channels DACs (again of the same performance level/specs etc.) vs just 2 channels, that is 8X more. So going up to the ES9038Pro from say the ES9026Pro (don't know which one the Trinnov has) would probably add 8X$50 (considered volume discount) = $400 and again that's just the DAC chips.

I do see JohnV's point but my question for him and others who feel the same about the DAC performance is, would they rather pay $1,000 to $3,000 more (that's just my guess, considering the factor of 8 involved) for higher SINAD than 99 dB? To me, I would be willing to pay the difference if the Trinno only managed 75 dB, but its 99 dB is more than good enough for me. Now if in their next replacement model they could achieve 110 dB at the same price or a few hundred dollars, that would be a slightly different story.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I am confused. The discussion here is quite cordial.
Now, on the MQA threads, many, including me, have very definite and unmistakable positions. :p

Honestly, I the Trinnov came a 7 channel version for under 6K, I'd be game.
Atmos is not tenable, technically nor aesthetically and has a Zero FAF rating (Family Approval Factor).

You'd be surprised how enjoyable and convincing 4 Salon2s and a Voice2 can be for HT. Music central movies like A Star is Born, Yesterday (Great flick) are amazing even in my puny 5.2 channel count system. I also appreciate Atmos remixes which are often carefully designed for surround. You might say, I have an effective set of "bed channels" ;)

- Rich

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My system requires the ability to both time-align and EQ my four subs to optimize the bass response. I do not know what other AVR/AVP units can do that. I mean that literally, I simply do not know. At the time I was looking, about two years ago, none of the major vendors would, so an outboard bass controller like a miniDSP, Anti-mode, or similar was required. I was considering a processor upgrade and fell into a good deal on an SDP-75 and haven't looked back.

LFE itself is mono, though bass management could use stereo (etc.) subs, but even for a mono sub feed I need different EQ per sub to optimize the response in my room.

YMMV - Don

D

Deleted member 43441

I am confused. The discussion here is quite cordial.
Now, on the MQA threads, many, including me, have very definite and unmistakable positions. :p

Honestly, I the Trinnov came a 7 channel version for under 6K, I'd be game.
Atmos is not tenable, technically nor aesthetically and has a Zero FAF rating (Family Approval Factor).

You'd be surprised how enjoyable and convincing 4 Salon2s and a Voice2 can be for HT. Music central movies like A Star is Born, Yesterday (Great flick) are amazing even in my puny 5.2 channel count system. I also appreciate Atmos remixes which are often carefully designed for surround. You might say, I have an effective set of "bed channels" ;)

- Rich

It was until I started to get followed around by that guy, and everywhere I posted he quoted me, At that point after I told him I was going to block him he posted again, and I did block him.

It appears like he got defensive and started to write me a book everywhere I went and I didn’t want to hear it anymore.

That’s my prerogative right?

This is like beating a dead horse at this stage, and my only point again was at this price point it should measure better than it did, I don’t see anything that this pre-pro does that I can’t get for less than half the price. Is it’s room correction that good? I think that’s getting into subjective territory. Anyway that was my point, I didn’t come on here to bash it. Yet again I would love to own it, and maybe I would defend it like that gentleman did to me after I spent some time with it.

In my opinion this subject is a non-issue, and I'm over it.

Please everyone have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My system requires the ability to both time-align and EQ my four subs to optimize the bass response. I do not know what other AVR/AVP units can do that. I mean that literally, I simply do not know. At the time I was looking, about two years ago, none of the major vendors would, so an outboard bass controller like a miniDSP, Anti-mode, or similar was required. I was considering a processor upgrade and fell into a good deal on an SDP-75 and haven't looked back.

LFE itself is mono, though bass management could use stereo (etc.) subs, but even for a mono sub feed I need different EQ per sub to optimize the response in my room.

YMMV - Don

The RMC-1 has had bass level issues which remain in the current release. I was able to use REW to measure and applied independent time and EQ but it I was not overly effective, so I ended up using the subwoofer phase, level adjustments. This is likely a reflection of the skills of the operator ;)

- Rich

hemiutut

I do not know if this will help. But posted below are my measurement graphs as measured per speaker by the trinnov’s sensitive microphone—before, after and the graphs of correction filters used
View attachment 185516
Thanks for the graphs,yes it is that,but my comment is if you then make measurements with REW for example to compare vs after Trinnov,since in those Optimizer graphs the vertical axis in dB is very close together and it is not
and you can't see what smoothing the graphs have.
Hence my query.

Written with translator

Greetings

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you elaborate on this? D+M can only time align two subs but the LFE channel is mono anyway so does it mean the HTP-1 can not only time aligned 3 subs but also EQ them independently for use with the non LFE signal?
My understanding is that D+M has 2 sub-out but these are not independently time aligned and treated as a single sub because they share a common internal connection so current owners are recommended to just use a Y-splitter to one single sub-out. HTP-1 on the other hand is capable of Dirac Live Bass Management currently considered one of the best bass management systems in the business.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

YMMV - Don
If I am understanding correctly, you are using 4 subs on 4 different outputs and using the EQ on the processor to EQ subs, correct? I am assuming this is a manual process? One of the reasons I went with Storm is DLBC which is automated. Was it very difficult process of EQing 4 subs in this way?

Beast76

If I am understanding correctly, you are using 4 subs on 4 different outputs and using the EQ on the processor to EQ subs, correct? I am assuming this is a manual process? One of the reasons I went with Storm is DLBC which is automated. Was it very difficult process of EQing 4 subs in this way?
I think the Storm, JBL/Arcam, and HTP-1 units are the only one’s available that offer DLBC on more than 2 sub outputs. I remember reading that Trinnov is working on solving the multiple independent subwoofer issue in their optimizer, but I haven’t seen an estimate on when it will be available. We can assume, based upon their track record, that they will do it well, though, I would guess.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The Trinnov Optimizer handles all four subs on separate (independent) channels. So, it is automated, piece of cake.

For the SDP-75 I also have the option of using Harman's Sound Field Management (SFM) but I have not done that yet.

My previous AVP, Emotiva XMC-1, would handle two independent subs (delay and crossover in the processor itself plus Dirac Live would handle them independently). I set them up as two pair (I have a pair in the rear and another in the front) so I did not add an outboard unit. However, my room is not symmetric, so being able to do each sub independently is a Good Thing for me.

Trinnov also provides very flexible bass management. For example, you can set up the subs to be paired with nearby speakers if you want stereo (or more), and you can set multiple crossovers for a group of speakers. The latter means you can route the bass from say a smallish left overhead or wide speaker below 100 Hz to the left main (base) speaker, and then route the bass from that speaker (which now includes bass from the smaller speaker) below 80 Hz to a sub.

HTH - Don

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that D+M has 2 sub-out but these are not independently time aligned and treated as a single sub because they share a common internal connection so current owners are recommended to just use a Y-splitter to one single sub-out. HTP-1 on the other hand is capable of Dirac Live Bass Management currently considered one of the best bass management systems in the business.

Okay thank you for clarifying your point. In that case your understanding is incorrect. D+M's from the AVR-X3700H, SR6015 through the higher models have two sub outs that are independent in the sense that each has their own volume control and DAC. They have the Sub EQ HT feature that will level match and time align the two subwoofer outputs, as described in the Owner's manual:

1644517642986.png

Beast76

The Trinnov Optimizer handles all four subs on separate (independent) channels. So, it is automated, piece of cake.

For the SDP-75 I also have the option of using Harman's Sound Field Management (SFM) but I have not done that yet.

My previous AVP, Emotiva XMC-1, would handle two independent subs (delay and crossover in the processor itself plus Dirac Live would handle them independently). I set them up as two pair (I have a pair in the rear and another in the front) so I did not add an outboard unit. However, my room is not symmetric, so being able to do each sub independently is a Good Thing for me.

Trinnov also provides very flexible bass management. For example, you can set up the subs to be paired with nearby speakers if you want stereo (or more), and you can set multiple crossovers for a group of speakers. The latter means you can route the bass from say a smallish left overhead or wide speaker below 100 Hz to the left main (base) speaker, and then route the bass from that speaker (which now includes bass from the smaller speaker) below 80 Hz to a sub.

HTH - Don
It handles all 4 subs on separate independent channels, but it doesn’t optimize the overall response of the 4 subs - at least to my understanding which I admit may be lacking.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When our host measures speakers in his room do you see any treatments anywhere? Unless I just don’t see them I don’t think they’re there, and I’m not criticizing because I want to learn as much as I can.
our host is using a measurement system that delivers better than most anechoic chambers in a normal room. He then listens in his room. That’s what you see.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It handles all 4 subs on separate independent channels, but it doesn’t optimize the overall response of the 4 subs - at least to my understanding which I admit may be lacking.
it optimises the overall response in the room.

D

Deleted member 43441

our host is using a measurement system that delivers better than most anechoic chambers in a normal room. He then listens in his room. That’s what you see.

It wasn’t a knock on our host.

Is that your stance, that the room I see the measurements done in is better than an anechoic chamber?

You’re kidding right?

Here’s what I think, if some of the reflection points were treated it would make room correction a whole lot easier.

Most recording studios that I see now, modern ones have a treated room. Yes there’s a lot of DSP going on, but they do some treatments also.

I’m sorry but comparing those measurements to one’s done in a anechoic chamber was enough for me, I’ve had enough lol please stop quoting me, because now this is getting knee deep.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay thank you for clarifying your point. In that case your understanding is incorrect. D+M's from the AVR-X3700H, SR6015 through the higher models have two sub outs that are independent in the sense that each has their own volume control and DAC. They have the Sub EQ HT feature that will level match and time align the two subwoofer outputs, as described in the Owner's manual:

View attachment 185700
My bad, thanks for the correction!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is that your stance, that the room I see the measurements done in is better than an anechoic chamber?

You’re kidding right?

It's pretty cool technology. Should be for $100k.

Erin has a pretty good video that describes the system.

Here’s what I think, if some of the reflection points were treated it would make room correction a whole lot easier.

The room is irrelevant.

Here is a thread that goes into it.

Thread 'Understanding How the Klippel NFS Works' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nderstanding-how-the-klippel-nfs-works.13139/

Last edited:
Top Bottom