• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Triangle Borea BRO9 vs Elac Debut Reference DFR52

Hi, I am new here and I am planning on getting my first stereo system in 15 years. (I had a Luxman amp + Marantz speakers when I was a kid, from an uncle in the music business) I have decided to build myself a stereo/double Hypex NC400 and probably use one of the new Denon AVR's or Topping E30 as a source. The only thing I can not come to a conclusion to is the speakers. First I was thinking the Klipsch RP-8000F, but because I am from Belgium I would actually prefer a European brand (smaller cabinet). The question remains though: French or German?

BRO9's:
- Heavier and slightly larger cabinet
- tweeter, mid and 3 bass drivers
- FQ: 35Hz - 22 KHz (could go without a sub)
- Impedance: min 3.3ohm / average 8ohm (easier to drive)
- Pretty good measurements, going by measurements of BRO3 and BRO8
- Only great reviews
- € 599 (edit)

DFR52's:
- tweeter, mid and 2 bass drivers
- FQ: 42Hz - 35KHz (would need a sub)
- Impedance: min +-2ohm / average 6 ohm (more difficult)
- Very good measurements, going by measurements of DBR62
- Mediocre to super reviews
- € 599 (edit)

I can't really decide and don't have any place close to audition them.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ELACs are definitely a safer bet, as they've been measured here and showed exceptional performance.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I would really need sub with the Elacs, that is + €999 and the E30 is also of the table, because I need the AVR to run the sub.
You might be right. Looking at the BRO3 measurements, they look decent, though probably a little less so than the Elacs. The extra 7Hz of extension may be enough to push them ahead without sub support.

Crutchfield has the ELACs, and they have an awesome 60 trial period where you just have to pay for shipping to ship them back($10 for bookshelves and $75 for towers). Would be great to have them both in your room at the same time to compare. Might cost you a little more money, but might be worth it to ensure you're 100% satisfied.

In my opinion, though, both of those arguably need sub support for true full range sound. How likely is it that you'll want to upgrade later by adding subs? If you're likely to get subs in a year or so anyway, it might make sense to go with the speaker that has better mids and highs, even if the bass is a little less satisfying in the meantime. If not, then the Triangles might make sense here.

Beave

You might be right. Looking at the BRO3 measurements, they look decent, though probably a little less so than the Elacs. The extra 7Hz of extension may be enough to push them ahead without sub support.

Crutchfield has the ELACs, and they have an awesome 60 trial period where you just have to pay for shipping to ship them back($10 for bookshelves and $75 for towers). Would be great to have them both in your room at the same time to compare. Might cost you a little more money, but might be worth it to ensure you're 100% satisfied.

In my opinion, though, both of those arguably need sub support for true full range sound. How likely is it that you'll want to upgrade later by adding subs? If you're likely to get subs in a year or so anyway, it might make sense to go with the speaker that has better mids and highs, even if the bass is a little less satisfying in the meantime. If not, then the Triangles might make sense here.
I don't think the $10 return shipping to Crutchfield applies to persons living in Belgium, but I could be wrong. ;)

OP
S
Thread Starter #7

I am planning to eventually have a surround/atmos system build around those speakers. So the AVR and subs are coming at some point. In that way it makes sense to go for the best mids and highs, as you say.

Don't buy triangle. A guy advertising for the Borea literally said in youtube review that Triangle is paying him so that they can get deeper to the US Market.

valerianf

Triangle is an old speaker brand that has a very good reputation for its speaker.
Triangle has a custom design for the tweeter.
Before choosing between Elac and Triangle you need to go listening to them.

I had the Celius 202 for 5 years or so. They had a similar configuration to the Borea. It was a good sound, imho, but I got a decent subwoofer early on, because i felt they needed it.

hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
Triangle is an old speaker brand that has a very good reputation for its speaker.
Triangle has a custom design for the tweeter.
Before choosing between Elac and Triangle you need to go listening to them.
The closest place to audition them is over an hour and a half away. It is not really an option for me.

Top Bottom