• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt it but I'll ask anyway...@amirm would there be any advantage to run a D90 through this? I remember @John_Siau saying his dac was better off with a pre in front of it IIRC.

Incredible performance for $599

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Does this remember the last volume setting per input? With the variety of gear that's likely to be plugged in, there might be a want or need to trim level per device.

It doesn't make much sense without the extender, but I could see someone with vintage studio equipment needing a bunch of balanced analog inputs. Then again, at an actual studio you might as well go from your equipment into an audio interface.

Is that the ASR mascot?

The standard mic preamp should have up to +70dB gain to work with for insensitive dynamic microphones and quiet environment. This preamp only has 10dB/16dB. And usually mic preamp has 1k input impedance and operation usually is single ended. This is not that.
So basically it wouldn't work well as it's not designed to have high gain. But at some point I plan to make some microphone preamps or AD converters even.
Heck yeah. Bring on the Topping Lunchbox. :D

martijn86

I don't know why but this just makes me incredibly happy. Any negative performance impact this thing makes is way waaay outside of what's audible, way below the noise floor of your source and hardly able to be measured. Just seeing it basically measuring the AP but with volume control and gain. That kind of reassurance is easily worth twice the price. Now to find a 120dB sinad streamer/DAC with balanced line-out. I'd keep my Purifi amp.. BAM! Setup complete (for the next six months).

kopczas

Most of the devices tested on this site are very niche products...

I guess that topping must have strategy for future. With this preamp they fulfilled line of small, desktop-like devices and it`s also quite new to audio world. Small but well regarded, with amazing reviews they building company reputation. For this particular unit, small size is it`s limitation, and it is small to fit company lineup. As someone said: bigger unit means a lot of problems like stupid things like storage space. Albo bigger unit means more weight, more weight more materials and so on..
I believe that Topping is capable of making preamp with 2021yr functionality, a lot of inputs etc. but it`s not the time for them for such investment. I have no idea what Topping plans for the future but power amp would be natural to be next, and that would change everything as even smallest mono Class-d amp with decent power output would need bigger chassis that any current device from they offer. So to match new lineup new preamp would be needed. It means more expensive gear, and another issue: who would pay for it? To offer that kind of equipment Topping needs to go deeper into hifi market to find costumers. Maybe they should present their gear during Audioshows around the world. That would be awesome.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like an unintended consequence of chasing SINAD. A high SINAD (albeit Frankensteinian) solution looking for a problem.

ASR might be encouraging a new type of life-style product - a high SINAD lifestyle with compromises on form and/or function. Audibility optional.

Perhaps ASR should go the Betty Crocker Seal of Approval route and franchise a label

"ASR approved. Designed by engineers for engineers"
:D

Ouch. Way to pull an Emperor's New Clothes.

nobody

I guess that topping must have strategy for future. With this preamp they fulfilled line of small, desktop-like devices and it`s also quite new to audio world. Small but well regarded, with amazing reviews they building company reputation. For this particular unit, small size is it`s limitation, and it is small to fit company lineup. As someone said: bigger unit means a lot of problems like stupid things like storage space. Albo bigger unit means more weight, more weight more materials and so on..
I believe that Topping is capable of making preamp with 2021yr functionality, a lot of inputs etc. but it`s not the time for them for such investment. I have no idea what Topping plans for the future but power amp would be natural to be next, and that would change everything as even smallest mono Class-d amp with decent power output would need bigger chassis that any current device from they offer. So to match new lineup new preamp would be needed. It means more expensive gear, and another issue: who would pay for it? To offer that kind of equipment Topping needs to go deeper into hifi market to find costumers. Maybe they should present their gear during Audioshows around the world. That would be awesome.
I agree, I can pack my current stereo setup (D90 + A90 + 2x NC500 monoblocks) to backpack (without loudspeakers of course). And the sound can match or beat high-end devices costing $$$. But I moved completely to digital so I'm fine with two analog inputs... I appreciate, that I have fully balanced rig for "pennies" :) The question is, can Topping match Hypex/Purifi sound quality (or maybe would be better say transparency, as they don't have any "sound" on their own) at the same price?

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I strongly feel that all car analogies on ASR need the caveat that the analogized cars are limited to road-legal speeds (because legal speed is analogized to audibility). Therefore, in such analogies, you're evaluating cars (and electronics, by extension) on their looks, on-paper bragging rights, and "daily driver" conveniences.

If the pre90 is a Ferrari based on paper numbers and lack of conveniences, that's fine--there's a place in the world for Ferraris.

Where the car analogy fails is where the Ferrari will garner instant and universal respect and admiration from the average onlooker. Whereas, showing off your "Topping" amp will impress pretty much nobody, not even the average audiophile - only a very specific audiophile who understands and appreciates technical specifications, even those that do not translate to audibility.

A better parallel analogy would be dropping a Ferrari engine into a Toyota Prius, and saying hey check out my Prius, did you know it has a Ferrari engine in it?

Parkerjon

From the info on the Topping web-site it remembers the last volume level for each input so certainly could be used in HT Bypass mode on one of the inputs. Anyone read anything that would contradict this. I wouldn't be contrary to going with an amp rather than an integrated amp if this could be put in between my AVR and an amp.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agree. Look at Auralic, another China-based company. Their stuff measures "decently well," but they stuffed it in a really nice chassis (with a couple of exceptions), and sent it over to Stereophile to get a nice Class A stamp. At the time, their transports had insane low-jitter specs (speaking of technical measurements that, after a certain point, make absolutely no difference).

Universal Cereal Bus

Where the car analogy fails is where the Ferrari will garner instant and universal respect and admiration from the average onlooker. Whereas, showing off your "Topping" amp will impress pretty much nobody, not even the average audiophile - only a very specific audiophile who understands and appreciates technical specifications, even those that do not translate to audibility.

A better parallel analogy would be dropping a Ferrari engine into a Toyota Prius, and saying hey check out my Prius, did you know it has a Ferrari engine in it?
You mean this?

bungle

Purist brand bings out purist balanced pre with astonishing preformance and low price.
Comments endless moaning about product being a purist piece. :facepalm:

Yes, it is frustrating. I have been searching for years for products that would unite pro-audio and consumer audio.

win

meanwhile i have 4 preamps

1 phono preamp (parks puffin)
1 analog preamp (freya+)
1 digital preamp (shd studio)
1 dac preamp (topping d90 can work as a preamp)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I agree, I can pack my current stereo setup (D90 + A90 + 2x NC500 monoblocks) to backpack (without loudspeakers of course).

So do you regularly put your HiFi in a backpack, leave your speakers behind, and go hiking? I thought people took food, sleeping bags and spare underpants in their backpacks. Who knew.

kopczas

Who knew.

Which part is strange for you? it`s simple. when I go for a walk all I need is backpack with D90 and small UPS fully charged to provide AC voltage . On my chest I wear belt with A90 for my headphones. Few wires to hook it up and I can walk for hours since those devices don`t need much energy. UPS lasts for 4-5 hours. Who needs food, come on!

D

Deleted member 19195

Purist brand bings out purist balanced pre with astonishing preformance and low price.
Comments endless moaning about product being a purist piece. :facepalm:

Astonishing performance that no one can hear coupled with underwhelming functionality. I'm not sure what is 'pure' about that....is it a spiritual thing?

I thought we banned car analogies. ;)

I wish we would.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Which part is strange for you? it`s simple. when I go for a walk all I need is backpack with D90 and small UPS fully charged to provide AC voltage . On my chest I wear belt with A90 for my headphones. Few wires to hook it up and I can walk for hours since those devices don`t need much energy. UPS lasts for 4-5 hours. Who needs food, come on!
:D In many countries, you will soon be surrounded by the bomb squad in protective gear and guns pointed at you.

Top Bottom