• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

TimW

Major Contributor
The main functionality I need to integrate my one analog source with a digital one is input switching and remote control volume. Yes, would be nice to have a direct input selection but otherwise no more functionality is needed in the modern world.
Don't you need to squash that room mode of yours?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Which part is strange for you? it`s simple. when I go for a walk all I need is backpack with D90 and small UPS fully charged to provide AC voltage . On my chest I wear belt with A90 for my headphones. Few wires to hook it up and I can walk for hours since those devices don`t need much energy. UPS lasts for 4-5 hours. Who needs food, come on!
Not every weekend, but when I was in search for new loudspeakers, it was pretty easy to bring my complete setup with me for test session... And sometimes I take some parts of my rig to friends and do some comparisons, good whisky and audiphile chitchat ;)
Try this with Krell FPB 600 :cool:
Portable Rig.jpg

Lorenzo74

599$
It is an instrument grade, more transparent than transparent (home glass detergent commercial...?)

what else?

Thank you Amir, this is the proof you don’t have to spend many salaries to enjoy music.
it’s becoming commodity like computers and Flat TVs.

however esoteric niche of tubes, LP and high end cables lovers will survive util new educated generaion will become the majority wiping out coloration and legacy taste.
best
L.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:D In many countries, you will soon be surrounded by the bomb squad in protective gear and guns pointed at you.

At which point you scream, "Back off now! Do you know have any idea what this equipment is capable of? 130dB SINAD!!!"

Lieutenant: "OH dear God, everyone stand down now, you heard the man. He's not bluffing. I saw the Topping logo."

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The main functionality I need to integrate my one analog source with a digital one is input switching and remote control volume. Yes, would be nice to have a direct input selection but otherwise no more functionality is needed in the modern world.
... only when playing perfectly recorded music (how many of yours fall into this category?) from analog sources. Otherwise directly accessible sophisticated tone controls are a must.

I'd say the modern world uses digital sources only and a DAC/preamp like the RME ADI-2 DAC is all you need instead of an analog preamp.

eduardw

Forum Donor
I know this pre has a volume memory for the input. Is it also possible to config a fixed volume for one of the inputs then it is even better to use for a HT bypass.
Could i use the xlr input for my topping D90 dac and the rca input as ht bypass for connecting to my denon 3700h. As power amp I use a stereo amp based on ice modules (acoustic reality ear two) but next year I will replace them for a purify amp(waiting for the an higher power version).
My current pre is a older parasound 2100 classic from 2012.

Eduard

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
... only when playing perfectly recorded music (how many of yours fall into this category?) from analog sources.
The tapes that I have fall in that category.

Ddd

With Pre90 Resistor Ladder Volume control and Remote control,
Which is a tempting features..

Is it bad to sound quality if
using D90 MQA in DAC mode into Pre90,
Pre90 to A90 (Mid Gain MAXED full Volume),
And A90 to Headphones?

Doing so because i guess maybe Pre90 is a better preamp device than the digital built in pre amp in D90?

Basically want to turn A90 into a Power Amp and benefit remote control operation and the good channel imbalance performance of the resistor ladder and maxing volume of A90 removes the potentiometer channel imbalance as well although it already done very well with it.

But wondering if controlling the volume from Pre90 and limiting the full voltage signal to the A90,
would it cause a bottleneck?

typericey

Best measuring preamp indeed and credit to where credit is due. But unfortunately not for me. I will not use a preamp where I will need to cycle through inputs with a tiny button, be it on the unit itself or the remote. And I will not apologize for nagging about this with the hope that manufacturers such as Topping would eventually listen.

Because of ASR, manufacturers such as Topping have become obsessed with measurements and it has become a product drag race. Yes, it's awesome to have a car that does a quarter mile in 10 seconds, but I need it to have AC and automatic transmission too. Yes I am belaboring this and have started to use car analogies so I better end here.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not and that is a miss.

I use an ESI U24XL, feed it into the PC via USB, and it gives me room correction on my analog component (turntable) for cheap without drama

Top Bottom