• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Astonishing performance that no one can hear coupled with underwhelming functionality.
The main functionality I need to integrate my one analog source with a digital one is input switching and remote control volume. Yes, would be nice to have a direct input selection but otherwise no more functionality is needed in the modern world.

win

Yes, would be nice to have a direct input selection

this reason alone is my only real issue with the d90. It HAS to be fixable through firmware.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think they need a new remote with independent buttons for each input selection and then yes, all it needs is simple firmware change.

Parkerjon

The main functionality I need to integrate my one analog source with a digital one is input switching and remote control volume. Yes, would be nice to have a direct input selection but otherwise no more functionality is needed in the modern world.
The C1 and C2 buttons would seem to at least allow you to quickly switch between two main modes.

PeteL

Major Contributor
In 2021, a pre-amp ain't a required pre-amp IMO unless it has at the minimum:

1. Phono, minimum two analog and two digital inputs with proper impedance that will make it work with just about anything.
2. A remote for switching, volume, mute. Previous volume memory per input.
3. A trigger out.
4. A cross-over with selectable crossover point for Mains+2 sub-outs and delay setting between speakers.
5. A HT by-pass
6. A 2.2 digital loop out/in for an external processor (e.g., room correction)
7. Channel balance setting
8. Sufficient output gain to match with any amplifier.

A price target of <$1000 for the above with 90+ SINAD.

Everything else is just a toy or a very niche product.
Do you have one in mind that does all that?

nobody

So do you regularly put your HiFi in a backpack, leave your speakers behind, and go hiking? I thought people took food, sleeping bags and spare underpants in their backpacks. Who knew.
Not every weekend, but when I was in search for new loudspeakers, it was pretty easy to bring my complete setup with me for test session... And sometimes I take some parts of my rig to friends and do some comparisons, good whisky and audiphile chitchat ;)
Try this with Krell FPB 600 :cool:

bungle

I have reel-to-reel, c-cassette, and a turntable. All of them have RCA output (turntable via separate RIAA/pre). On a digital side I have CD player that can also output analog with RCA/XLR, but also digital (AES/EBU, S/PDIF), and Chromecast Audio (S/PDIF). All the rest of digital sources are HDMI (Apple TV, Playstation, Chromecast, DVB-T2 tuner). And I have powered speakers. Yes, I am a very niche market, and perhaps a fossil. I can make sacrifies on usability side.

Perfect pre for me would allow switching and volume control on these. If it means separate coverters, I am fine with it. Everything that can be done externally do not need to be in pre. Things like decoding digital audio or room correction or even eq or tone/balance controls, phono stage. Stereo is fine with me.

Last edited:

win

Here's an idea. Have a button for each input with a label on it. I'm sure it's been done before. ;)

I get your point, but I'm totally fine with a bias towards aesthetics and not having tons of buttons, especially when you have lots of available sources like the d90 does. I'm also cool with them not bundling a remote that has all these functions on it for a cost reason. But, please, PLEASE! expose the inputs as directly selectable through an IR command that you publish. miniDSP has done this with the logitech harmony remote, and it's beautiful.

D

Deleted member 19195

I just mentioned this thread/item on Canuck Audio Mart and, not unlike my experience with the P6, someone was happy to see a new alternative as they found their P6 underwhelming in regard to sound quality.

Unhappy with the sound quality of his preamp? He must be an audiophile. Did he try upgrading to audiophile power chord and cables first? ;)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Sadly, as well as this preamp measures, I feel that we are in a race to the bottom aiming for the best specs by introducing unnecessary compromises.

Douglas Self has said that balanced connections are rarely necessary in a domestic environment - he has also pointed out that balanced connections are inherently noisier* than unbalanced connections, and require a lot more silicon to even match the noise specs of an unbalanced input (let alone better it).

What we have here IMHO, is the MQA of preamps - it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

It is possible to build a very low noise preamp without the input impedance compromises. Even 10k is too low for non DC coupled sources, unless they have large (=>47uF) coupling capacitors in the output stage.

*electronically noisier - the balanced connection does offer improved noise immunity to EMI etc. which is a different type of noise.
This preamp is obviously without any noise issue. There is EMI, yes, but now more than ever balanced line level connections are relevent IMO. The way I see it is an insurance policy. Thing is, unbalanced connections work well, for gear that talk well to each other.
Over the years, the manufacturer's practices regarding audio ground scheme varied quite a bit. Even the AES modified their guidelines and standards. Most audio gear enthusiasts that I know that use equipment from different manufacturers and different era have had to deal with a hum in their system at one point or the other. Troubleshooting is a pain, ground loops can comes from anywhere. It's time consuming, can be intermittent, can be faulty cable, can be gear incompatibilities, can be defective equipment, can come even from gear that is currently unused and powered off, it's a pain. Going balanced mostly fix the issue of swearing a lot an costing time. That's the most obvious reason.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In 2021, a pre-amp ain't a required pre-amp IMO unless it has at the minimum:

4. A cross-over with selectable crossover point for Mains+2 sub-outs and delay setting between speakers.

Thought the DSP in my MiniDSP Plate amp is infinitely better. ;)

Maybe add DSP room correction and WiFi control to the list, and a built in Espresso machine.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Going balanced mostly fix the issue of swearing a lot an costing time. That's the most obvious reason.

The bonus being that as the Pro industry all use it, companies like Van Damme make millions of miles of 'as good as it gets' quad core signal cable, which sells for peanuts.

Top Bottom