• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 172 46.1%

• Total voters

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review.

For a little more (~430 usd) I would definitely get an NC252MP based amp like the Nord below (link measurements from KJF). Better high frequency behavior, more power, internal power supply.

I second that thought.

I purchased a Buckeye NC252 from Dylan for a similar price (US$575 plus shipping to Aus) and am extremely happy as it is very clean (SINAD 94db) and powerful (150W into 8ohms). When you take into consideration US assembled vs China, and the failure rate of recent Topping amps, it is IMO a no brainer.

I greatly appreciate Amir introducing us to new products at ever increasing performances and ever decreasing prices, his work is invaluable for all audio enthusiasts, however, service and reliability have a place and Dylan is great to deal with.

Last edited:

Gio

Forum Donor
Topping's commercial policy is regrettable: they remove the PA5 one year after the introduction of the model on the market making it immediately obsolete. They probably know that 50% of customers complain about quality defects and make it disappear and replace it with the PA7. At least they had the good taste to offer PA5 customers a replacement offer. They are losing face.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Non plus version has slightly less power for 449 USD.
PA7 is released this long after the PA5, because we spent a very long time identify and fixed the previous failure rate issue of PA5 and made sure it's not an issue anymore on PA7. I'm very confident with the quality of the new PA7 . The non plus version has superior performance to cost ratio and it's highly recommended.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Topping's commercial policy is regrettable: they remove the PA5 one year after the introduction of the model on the market making it immediately obsolete. They probably know that 50% of customers complain about quality defects and make it disappear and replace it with the PA7. At least they had the good taste to offer PA5 customers a replacement offer. They are losing face.
PA7 was supposed to be a step up in power and was planned to release last year. We wouldn't release a new power amp without identifying and fixing the underlying issue.

okok

$500 for this one is somewhat a bad joke, we'd afraid

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
PA7 is released this long after the PA5, because we spent a very long time identify and fixed the previous failure rate issue of PA5 and made sure it's not an issue anymore on PA7. I'm very confident with the quality of the new PA7 . The non plus version has superior performance to cost ratio and it's highly recommended.
Care to offer a fair trade-in deal the ASR owners of the defective PA5 design that haven't died yet? I wouldn't mind swapping my ticking time bomb with something that you are very confident in.

delta76

Major Contributor
can you share what problems you identified and fixed ? so far it has not been clear what went wrong.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Thanks to Amir for the review, as always.
I find it very difficult to get excited about a topping amp, the PA5 seemed like a great product, and would have been if it weren't for its inherent problems which led to a great many failures.
But the PA5 had impressive top amp measurements, a very low price and enough power for most home applications, probably this was achieved by compromising on durability.
This pa7 is still cheap, but not that cheap, it's more powerful, but not that powerful, it has good measurements, but not great measurements, plus it carries the bad reputation of its predecessor.
I don't see at the moment a real reason to choose it over other alternatives that have been mentioned before.
I really don't know where to go topping with this philosophy.

BoredErica

can you share what problems you identified and fixed ? so far it has not been clear what went wrong.
An explanation of what went wrong would definitely be interesting.
OK, Topping service/Pa5 drama aside, if buying this I recommend buying from a retailer based in your country or has a good return policy. Removes a lot of risk.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In short, majority of the failures come from the sealed module, and it's the opamps that are overheating. It wouldn't have been an issue at all if someone hadn't copies and patented our earlier designs that we wouldn't need to make the module. Too many opamps in a small package is not a good idea. In report in the repair department, there's pretty much no damage done to the chip itself and no DC would ever appear across the terminals. Anyway lessons learned so no more than 2 opamps in one small module is our rule of thumb.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review.

For a little more (~430 usd) I would definitely get an NC252MP based amp like the Nord below (link measurements from KJF). Better high frequency behavior, more power, internal power supply.

Performance-wise I fully agree with you, BUT in terms of usability, a NC252MP amplifier clips when the input is at 2.9 volts (meaning your speakers get fried if you turn volume to the max with most of dacs), while I expect this amp to be designed to accomodate input voltages of at least 4 volts input, therefore safely supporting most of dacs.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$500 for this one is somewhat a bad joke, we'd afraid
Did you take your own poll and are speaking for others beside yourself? It looks like, from Amir's ASR poll, that 81% so far find it either "Fine" or "Great". It's okok if you find it somewhat of a bad joke, please state it in the first person or otherwise show proof that would support your use of "we". Unless, you're using the "Royal We". (Is that you Charles?)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
An explanation of what went wrong would definitely be interesting.
OK, Topping service/Pa5 drama aside, if buying this I recommend buying from a retailer based in your country or has a good return policy. Removes a lot of risk.
Yep. Buying from the closest retailer has been highly recommended.
Apart from Amazon warehouses,
there are Audiophonics in EU
Addicted to audio in AU
Apos in NA.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I purchased a Buckeye NC252 from Dylan for a similar price (US$575 plus shipping to Aus) and am extremely happy as it is very clean (SINAD 94db) and powerful (150W into 8ohms).
I have a NC252 from Buckeye too. Really happy with it. I also have the DIY NC400 mono blocks I bought direct from Hypex DIY. I really can't hear a difference between the NC252 and the NC400. When one considers the SNR capabilities of their speakers, noise level of their listening rooms, and actual amount of power that's needed to drive their speakers to above reasonable listening volumes, these class D amps make a ton of sense. Seems like amplifiers and DACs are a solved problem.

staticV3

Master Contributor
fetchimage.jpeg

Jokes aside, it's great to see you back on ASR!

Talisman

Forum Donor
In short, majority of the failures come from the sealed module, and it's the opamps that are overheating. It wouldn't have been an issue at all if someone hadn't copies and patented our earlier designs that we wouldn't need to make the module.
This sounds like a bad excuse for your own design error and inadequate long-term sustainability assessments that you have not taken financial responsibility for towards your customers. It is not with these statements that you will recover the lost trust.

Last edited:

Ziroz

That power brick is UGLY, if they could just put that thing in a metal box similar to the amp itself.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This sounds like a bad excuse for your own planning error and inadequate long-term sustainability assessments that you have not taken financial responsibility for towards your customers. It is not with these statements that you will recover the lost trust.
Please take it as you see fit. I'm not passing judges to others. Only thing that will recover everything is time. So I respect your opinion. But like I said lessons learned.

delta76

Major Contributor
This sounds like a bad excuse for your own planning error and inadequate long-term sustainability assessments that you have not taken financial responsibility for towards your customers. It is not with these statements that you will recover the lost trust.
Let's just treat it as technical-only statement. I'm not saying Topping is not to blame, but that criticism toward JohnYang1997 is a bit harsh IMO. He is most likely not responsible for that.

BoredErica

In short, majority of the failures come from the sealed module, and it's the opamps that are overheating. It wouldn't have been an issue at all if someone hadn't copies and patented our earlier designs that we wouldn't need to make the module. Too many opamps in a small package is not a good idea. In report in the repair department, there's pretty much no damage done to the chip itself and no DC would ever appear across the terminals. Anyway lessons learned so no more than 2 opamps in one small module is our rule of thumb.
Are there any plans you could disclose about a future Pa5 successor? Something in Pa5 price range.

Top Bottom