• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 172 46.1%

• Total voters

Firespeed

Hello to all,

Thank you Amir for this review and these measures.

I didn't see this one coming (not so soon)...

Good replacement for the PA5 even if slightly below in terms of pure performance...certainly inaudible except on some high frequencies maybe?

The gain in power will delight some who needed it in certain configurations.

I also notice that if the E50 matched perfectly the PA5, today it is the E70/E70V which will make a very good stack for this PA7.

Another well placed offer that completes the existing catalog of the brand. A choice for all budgets without too many sacrifices...that's always appreciated.

delta76

Major Contributor
Hello to all,

Thank you Amir for this review and these measures.

I didn't see this one coming (not so soon)...

Good replacement for the PA5 even if slightly below in terms of pure performance...certainly inaudible except on some high frequencies maybe?

The gain in power will delight some who needed it in certain configurations.

I also notice that if the E50 matched perfectly the PA5, today it is the E70/E70V which will make a very good stack for this PA7.

Another well placed offer that completes the existing catalog of the brand. A choice for all budgets without too many sacrifices...that's always appreciated.
102dB vs 105dB is completely transparent

Music1969

Major Contributor
Very nice.

Like everything with Topping, wait at least 6 months after release, for any design and/or manufacturing issues to be properly sorted.

And should be nice.

3 of these for 6 channels DSP speaker - bargain.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wouldn't we be better off getting the LA90 or the Hypex NC252MP (Audiophonics one for us in EU) for a little more and little less respectively?

PS: Golfing panther, @amirm feeling a bit generous in the middle of the night before going to sleep :p

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
You are a Machine @amirm. Too work this hard in retirement. I can’t imagine, what it would have been like to have worked for you back during your hard charging years.

Well, maybe I can just a little :cool:

Thank you for your never ending drive to provide us with data focused reviews. Data and information that can and will help our Members/Readers to put together a “State of the Art” audio system. At prices that are reasonable and reachable. Breaking the Mythology that you must spend mega bucks to ever achieve SOA. Additionally directing the spotlight on the “extremely expensive Kit” that just functions to fleece our pockets, and in some cases actually degrades the audio quality chain.

The value you/we/us bring to the Audio Market is immense. Winning one new member at a time and constantly chipping away at the misinformation that permeates the Audio Market/Industry. Your persistence is contagious and commendable Sir! Thank you for giving a sh_t and fighting this fight for the average person. :cool:

TNT

That rise of THD+N at 10 and 15Khz may be hard to hear (for older ones like me) but the 5Khz where we are sensitive is very close to be audible.
Otherwise decent power.

Thanks Amir!
The 5 k distortion trace describe "the level of distortion produced by a 5k signal" i.e. the first overtone is at 10k.... - no? (Your wrote "5Khz where we are sensitive")

I also thought this but then I watched the multi-tone again. And... well, most dirt is -115 down at 10k...

//

RandomEar

I don't know, but at >500 $ for an amp, I would expect the basics to be covered. That includes a flat frequency response. This seems to surpass 0.2 dB of deviation at 7 kHz and reaches 0.5 dB around 12 kHz. Due to the fact that the deviation is this broad, I would expect it to be audible to some degree. That's... not great. Yes, you can EQ this flaw out and you can't EQ in higher SINAD scores, but still.

JakeK

Forum Donor
Thanks for such detailed measurements. I'm wondering how the volume pot compares to the one in the Topping PA3s which according to this post is disappointing compared to the main measurements.

Despite this I'm still happy with the PA3s I bought but left wondering about how to attenuate the input in an inexpensive but hi-fi way so I can use the volume pot at a higher position where it's better balanced. I would want to be sure the volume pot in an amp is better than that before spending $500.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I also thought this but then I watched the multi-tone again.

//
Multitone is at 5W,not full power.
And it is indeed odd that it appears as 80 SINAD in single measurement and -110 at Multitone even measured with the same bandwidth.

JeremyFife

Perversely pleased that this has dropped (inaudibly) in the SINAD ratings from PA5/LA90 ... hugely impressive performance.

Hypex challenging, decent power, trigger, bypassable volume, balanced and a neat form factor. Really very quiet indeed and not expensive in the grand scheme of things. Distortion drifts with frequency (above 5 kHz) - not Hypex performance - and I'm not completely clear if this is an audible issue, looks like it might be (but minor?).
Cracking amp, looking forward to the review of the regular PA7

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
My PA5 is still in operation, but after seeing nearly 50% of these fail in the ASR population, I'm a bit scarred by Topping reliability fear. Can't say I'd be the first on to jump on this one after seeing so many turn to paper weights. Topping has proven plenty of things with their little amps, unfortunately reliability is not yet one of them.

That said, this is indeed very impressive performance if you are willing to take your chances.

pma

Major Contributor
Multitone is at 5W,not full power.
And it is indeed odd that it appears as 80 SINAD in single measurement and -110 at Multitone even measured with the same bandwidth.
Multitone has very low amplitudes of individual sine tones. It is constituted of 32 tones and their sum may not exceed the maximum swing. Thus it is not too difficult signal for the amplifier and especially it does not reveal large signal non-linearity at high frequencies. It does not reveal slew induced distortion, e.g. The result is strongly dependent on non-linearity profile and its frequency dependence. It is just one of the test signals and it cannot substitute 2-tone IMD testing like DIN IMD and CCIF.

Top Bottom