• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Lambda

Major Contributor
Gift? You think Amir accepts "gifts" from manufacturers?
I'm not sure?!
I can imagine its in the interest of an company to get a product reviewed so they would send it to Amir and don't care if they get it back.

This was not meant to be offensive. i was just assuming Topping would not want this unit send back to china...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me speculate here.
- Topping PA9 mono power amplifier.
- 500W at 4 ohms (1% THD+N)
- SINAD 5W 105ish
- RCA or XLR inputs
- Ideally paired with D90SE and Pre90 for a high end system (think floorstanding speakers in a mid to large room).
- Class D
- Chassis similar to D90SE and Pre90
- 800 usd each

So about 3k usd for DAC, preamp and monos in a flagship system.
How cool would that be? :)
I think that is unlikely (at least in the near future). @JohnYang1997 has specifically teased a 100W+ amp (we have that now) and a 200W+ amp. (In work). Nothing higher power has been hinted at so far. (in fact specifically excluded when he mentioned these two)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think you need much fantasy to imagen this design concept to be adapted for desktop use...
I did more than that and suggested the issue of dust gathering in between the fins but you overlooked that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
better then dust gathering inside...
I beg to differ. I don’t see the dust but everyone will see it on the heathsink.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If you listen to modern recordings, DR < or << 10 dB -> You want 90 dBSPL peak -> 20 watts is OK with KEF Q100 at 3 meters.
Well as an example, Spotify will ask you to master your music at -14 LUFS, Itune at -16 LUFS. I know it's a bit different than dynamic range, it means that the general volume will be at -14 or -16 dBFS. It means that in these cases, if you only give 10 dB headroom for your listening level. A peak at -3 dBFS would be clipped if there is some in the track you listen to. Y think that 80 dB SPL is not very loud.

Rusty Shackleford

I'm not sure?!
I can imagine its in the interest of an company to get a product reviewed so they would send it to Amir and don't care if they get it back.

This was not meant to be offensive. i was just assuming Topping would not want this unit send back to china...

Would be interesting to know if Amir has to return this amp (and other gear) to Topping or get to keep it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well as an example, Spotify will ask you to master your music at -14 LUFS, Itune at -16 LUFS. I know it's a bit different than dynamic range, it means that the general volume will be at -14 or -16 dBFS. It means that in these cases, if you only give 10 dB headroom for your listening level. A peak at -3 dBFS would be clipped if there is some in the track you listen to. Y think that 80 dB SPL is not very loud.
You cannot translate LUFS to dBFS not one to one, not any way. They are almost not related. Former is average in time, the other is peak at any instant.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would be interesting to know if Amir has to return this amp (and other gear) to Topping or get to keep it.
I don't have to return it. On low cost items, companies usually don't ask for them back but some do.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I beg to differ. I don’t see the dust but everyone will see it on the heathsink.
I think the problem with internal dust build up is it will eventually clog the cooling airflow. On an external heatsink you can clean it off.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the problem with internal dust build up is it will eventually clog the cooling airflow. On an external heatsink you can clean it off.
You are assuming that there is an internal heat sink instead of the case is used as a heath sink. We simply have no idea in order to make a comment one way or another.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You are assuming that there is an internal heat sink instead of the case is used as a heath sink. We simply have no idea in order to make a comment one way or another.
There is good coupling to the case as the whole thing gets slightly warm.

PeteL

Major Contributor
You cannot translate LUFS to dBFS not one to one, not any way. They are almost not related. Former is average in time, the other is peak at any instant.
That is exactly what I said? Loudness unit to full scale so. "Average in time" is what the general listening level is. -14 Volume unit to full scale means this recording will sound "on average" as loud as a (1K) tone at -14 dBFS. You can still have transient or bass notes at 0 dBFS or maybe you don't but the point is, there can be.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Gift? You think Amir accepts "gifts" from manufacturers?
Yes and i think this question got answered.
I don't have to return it. On low cost items, companies usually don't ask for them back but some do.

Well the case has holes/vents presumably not for decoration...
So we know there must be some surfaces inside to to give of heat. this process is hindered if covered by dust.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is exactly what I said? Loudness unit to full scale so. "Average in time" is what the general listening level is. -14 Volume unit to full scale means this recording will sound "on average" as loud as a (1K) tone at -14 dBFS. You can still have transient or bass notes at 0 dBFS or maybe you don't but the point is, there can be.
It really doesn’t work that way. Every track will be different. Try and see it for yourself.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

PeteL

Major Contributor
It really doesn’t work that way. Every track will be different. Try and see it for yourself.
Try what? What are you trying to say? this system is in place exactly for the reason to have all songs play at "about" the same volume when listening to Spotify as in the exemple. For "every track" not to be too "different" in percieved loudness. If your master is lower or higher than this general volume, Spotify will normalise it for you. Lower it will bring the volume up and you'll end up having compressed peaks, higher it will bring the volume down and your song will peak at less than 0dBFS. and isn't how we set the volume of our listening, based not on peaks but an average? Are you saying that it's not possible to have peaks 14 dB above that ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom