• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Desktop amps are cool and all, but guess what's better... desktop amps that are already inside your fantastic speakers! Just so happens that fantastically measuring Kali LP-6v2 costs less than this amp... and you get a whole speaker with EQ options included, less boxes, less cables.

Also quickly rising distortion at high frequencies is not too hot if you ask me. Benchmark still is much better in my eyes but obviously way more expensive. This thing is quite good for its use case but I find it's use case very limited and nearly dead thanks to active speakers.

Reactions: EHC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Desktop amps are cool and all, but guess what's better... desktop amps that are already inside your fantastic speakers! Just so happens that fantastically measuring Kali LP-6v2 costs less than this amp... and you get a whole speaker with EQ options included, less boxes, less cables.

Also quickly rising distortion at high frequencies is not too hot if you ask me. Benchmark still is much better in my eyes but obviously way more expensive. This thing is quite good for its use case but I find it's use case very limited and nearly dead thanks to active speakers.

I agree to a certain degree - there are so many great active speakers out there now, I doubt I'll ever need a desktop amp. But for a small hifi setup? In an office, or in a bedroom? Even a small main setup, with efficient speakers, this thing is killer.

If the 200W version which has been hinted at has similar competitive pricing and performance it will be a game changer.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me speculate here.
- Topping PA9 mono power amplifier.
- 500W at 4 ohms (1% THD+N)
- SINAD 5W 105ish
- RCA or XLR inputs
- Ideally paired with D90SE and Pre90 for a high end system (think floorstanding speakers in a mid to large room).
- Class D
- Chassis similar to D90SE and Pre90
- 800 usd each

So about 3k usd for DAC, preamp and monos in a flagship system.
How cool would that be? :)

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree to a certain degree - there are so many great active speakers out there now, I doubt I'll ever need a desktop amp. But for a small hifi setup? In an office, or in a bedroom? Even a small main setup, with efficient speakers, this thing is killer.

If the 200W version which has been hinted at has similar competitive pricing and performance it will be a game changer.
If you already have nice speakers and you want something small, cheap then yeah this is quite good.

Though I would love to see CCIF IMD 19+20kHz at like 25W... I feel like it won't be a pretty picture.

dr0ss

Don't tell me you go plugging and unplugging without first powering down ?
Please, don't any more, oh please.
There are even recommendations to ensure volume ZERO before powering up...!!!!
PA="power amp", I suppose. It is important for power amps to have an ability to be turned on/off automatically: a 12v trigger, auto-sensing, or - the old traditional way - being plugged into the "switched power" outlet on a preamp, or into a power strip operating all devices. This one doesn't have a trigger or auto-sense, so will presumably be operated by many with the electrical equivalent of plugging/unplugging.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly the mainstream adoption of Eigentakt has been between slow to non-existent. Not that this one will be more successful than Eigentakt but Topping sells less than a thousand unit per year. I don't think either of them has a big chunk of the market, or consider each other competitors but BP definitely intends to be a big contender, their technology is just usually awkwardly priced.
Agreed—the lack of adoption of Purifi technology by mainstream audio brands is curious. It could be the price point. However, UcD and NCore did not have this problem, nor IcePower. Confusing.

My guess is that Topping moves significantly more product that you estimate, but still limited by the size of the enthusiast community.

Last edited:

Eggs Ackley

Of each product model they designed yes i believe so. at least that's what I remember @JohnYang1997 sharing.
That surprises me. Are Topping, SMSL, Sabaj and possible other brands all related? When you spread many similar products across different brands that could account for smaller sales numbers for specific products, I guess.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Let me speculate here.
- 500W at 4 ohms (1% THD+N)
- SINAD 5W 105ish
- RCA or XLR inputs
- Ideally paired with D90SE and Pre90 for a high end system (think floorstanding speakers in a mid to large room).
- Class D
- Chassis similar to D90SE and Pre90
- 800 usd each

So about 2.5k usd for DAC, preamp and monos in a flagship system.
I counter. :) Three amplifiers
1. Subwoofer amplifier for example

Two Topping PA5 to full register two-way speakers. One PA5 to bass / midrange driver, one PA5 to the tweeter. :)

DAC:
Topping E30 or
Topping d10s

Round: 10 -11k usd

You should get quite far with that rig. I think.Perhaps. Depends on ... hm the amplifiers at least relieve each other.

More money over to measuring microphone, to be able to PEQa and of course more money over to good subwoofers and full register speakers.
Damn what fun it is to think of different solutions when you have such GOOD STUFF to throw into the game. He he.:p
Your solution seems really good by the way.
Edit:
My suggestions. For those who want to keep on fixing and tinkering, I should add. It may be needed. :)

Last edited:

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Let me speculate here.
- 800 usd each

So about 2.5k usd for DAC, preamp and monos in a flagship system.
Quite cool but consider a stereo Purifi Eval1 amplifier from VTV is just 1100$.
To be really cool Topping needs to have a better performance for less price, also taking into account Purifi proven reliability

Top Bottom