• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

AudioArchitech

I figured it was worth a shot. I wanted to try a 2nd highest rated SINAD amp on AudioSciencereview and see if it would work. Not a big deal to try, sell it and try something else. I have tried a lot of gear, sometimes you find a real bargain out there. Example, my last amp was a Audiolab 6000A, great value, sounded great. Still haven't decided what to get next. A couple on the radar: Atoll AM100 or AM200 Signature, 2x IOTAVX PA3 Mono, NCore 252 or 500, and yes the mono Starkrimsons have been on my mind as well. A couple of other used ones too.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
FWIW, I was impressed with the Atoll integrated. I could not hear a difference with a SIM nor would I attribute any signature to either. I heard it on both some Wilsons and my own speakers with music I know well.

JohnnyNG

My system has become rather Topping-heavy (haha) since I picked up a D90 (MQA-free version) two years ago. I'm now running that D90 (along with a phono stage) into a Pre90 through a K231 active crossover into a PA5 which powers Revel M106 crossed to a pair of subs @ 80 Hz LR4. Cables are Canare L-4E6S with a mix of XLR and TRS.

I don't have a very broad audiophile vocabulary but the PA5 sounds wonderful in this setup. Clear, smooth, detailed and open with seemingly more than enough power at 9' from the speakers. And, while the M106 are the best speakers I've ever owned, gfinlays has me drooling over those damn ZRT... ;)

Sorry, just quoting myself to note that I decided to try the PA5 directly powering the Revel M106, sans active crossover/subs, and it's working very well in that config also. I can't say it gives up anything in my setup, at my levels, to the twice-as-powerful, much heavier and larger class A/B Outlaw it replaced. The M106 are pretty clean and revealing and there's no harshness or sibilance to speak of. And bass seems even better and punchier to the extent I've moved the subs and crossover out of the system. The whole chain, D90/Pre90/PA5, is dead silent even with my ear almost touching the tweeter. Overall I'm very happy with it. I'm not concerned with how it compares to the current SOTA, just wanted something small (and balanced) to replace the old A/B amp which took up an entire shelf and not take a hit on SQ.

yavormoskov

I have a question. Can I keep the volume pot of Topping PA5 at max at all times. Is there any negative or distortion if I do that? Thanks.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your source's max output is high enough, you might make the PA5 clip. And you're more likely to hear upstream noise after it's amplified.

Usual advice is to turn down the amp to 0, max out the source's volume, then slowly increase the amp's output until it's a tiny bit louder than you'd ever need. At that point, you can control volume from the source without worrying about the amp.

ToriCatcher

D30pro is very good as a DAC+preamp.
Any reason you recommend the D30pro and not the updated D30pro+ version?

As it is an updated version, I'd expect it to be better (also backed by amir's reviews, to my understanding).
Is it not the case?

Thanks

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any reason you recommend the D30pro and not the updated D30pro+ version?

As it is an updated version, I'd expect it to be better (also backed by amir's reviews, to my understanding).
Is it not the case?

Thanks
Is there a D30Pro+? If you mean DX3 Pro+ it doesn't measure better than the D30Pro. Maybe you mixed it with the original D30 (not Pro). These Topping model names get real confusing..

ToriCatcher

Is there a D30Pro+? If you mean DX3 Pro+ it doesn't measure better than the D30Pro. Maybe you mixed it with the original D30 (not Pro). These Topping model names get real confusing..
Wow, they got me.
Now I have to reevaluate thier line for the dac/preamp I'm looking for...
Thank you for your help.

AudioArchitech

Look like a Topping EX5 is best value at $349 with Balanced Outs, Volume Control, Bluetooth, Headphone amp...
ba3f2f9510ed68b88e47d41fe399b0fa_22eba3de-0664-4bb3-a6aa-9c10ad9c64ac_2048x2048.jpg
5111b146c16d237cbae207e05dbf083b_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It probably means you could possibly experience a dip in the perceived volume at 1khz with the speaker using the PA5 if you push the speaker levels?? Possibly affect the perceived tonality of the speaker if it runs out of power at 1khz ??

Top Bottom