• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for doing that, and obviously for understanding WHY it was important. I couldn't find where the power level was given for the CCIF, but if that is at full power, it's impressively clean, and would to an extent alleviate some of the concerns that the bad THD20 creates. If it was at 5W like the THD+N, it suggests it is impressively clean at lower power levels.

For those who still doubt why any of this 20kHz THD stuff matters, here you go:

from Doug Self.

And a Q&A with Bruno Putzeys (designer of the Purifi/Hypex modules): https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits...eaders-qa-with-lars-risbo-bruno-putzeys-r815/

Bruno: I like the way you put it, “unmeasured”. Because that’s really the point when measurements and ears diverge. Measurements are scientific experiments: to test a hypothesis. Remember that you can’t ever prove a hypothesis, the best thing you can do is try very, very hard to disprove it. Every time you fail to prove your hypothesis false, it becomes more solid. So if your hypothesis is that “this is a good amplifier” you try to make it do things you don’t want it to do. It’s not enough to run a handful of standardised tests, you have to invent all sorts of tests that you target specifically at weaknesses you expect.

Lars: Like a 20kHz THD test in its own right is not very useful because the harmonics are inaudible. So you do an IMD test with 20kHz and 19kHz tones and all of a sudden the whole audible spectrum clutters up with distortion. The silly thing is that the standard CCIF test that this signal came from then ignores all of that and only looks at the lone second order product at 1kHz… You have to look at the whole spectrum and that’s really enlightening. It’s one of the major tests that really tell you which is the better amp. Probably a reason why this test isn’t commonly included in amplifier data sheets.

Bruno: The nice thing is that this high frequency IMD test is about the worst thing you do to an amp with an input that’s still technically an audio signal. Of course you can make an amplifier go completely mad by feeding it radio frequency signals but that’s not going to tell you anything about the sound. But to come back to your question, I’m always looking for test methods that are within the remit of audio and that somehow make amplifiers do unexpected things. Admittedly that well has dried up a little. Even a class D amplifier is simple enough that with two sine waves you can pretty much probe all there is to probe. The only real surprise we had recently was to do with the output choke. Magnetic materials have something called hysteresis, but there is precious little information about what this really does. If you test a magnetic core with a sinewave the distortion looks a little like soft clipping, perfectly benign. But what came out of tests on iron parts in loudspeakers was that hysteresis has a long term memory so you can get intermodulation between things that happen now and things that happened 10 minutes ago. With music this distortion sounds like half correlated noise.

Yet, the closest thing ASR generally will test which comes even close to telling us whether "this is a good amplifier" is a 15kHz THD+N sweep. All the standard tests are doing is telling us whether this might be a good amplifier. As Putzeys says above, though, it just is not enough to do a "handful of standardized tests". Yeah, there's a multitone. Which is good for, um, frequency response. https://www.ap.com/technical-library/multitone-analysis-with-apx500/. Now, that's a little uncharitable, since it can show more than that, but why this isn't a terribly difficult test was pointed on here more than three years ago: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...odulation-distortion-testing.4769/post-105899. Still, it persists. Two minutes more effort doing a high power and a low power two tone up front and there would be far, far fewer doubts, and frankly, more than double the information currently being presented about whether an amplifier is really good, from a perspective of technical superiority. The theory, of course, being that if an amplifier can pass this worst-case test with flying colors, it's unlikely to perform worse when less stress is placed on it. Whether any of this is all that audible unless the results are really bad is highly debatable.

Case studies: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-hifi-brooklyn-amp-power-amplifier-measurements. Now go down to Fig. 7. Recognize that wild rise in distortion at high frequencies? It's what the Topping does, except that Topping is an even more comical rise since the THD+N at 1kHz is maybe an order of magnitude lower. Now go here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/classé-delta-mono-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements. No rise in high frequencies, and a very clean CCIF. And here's a Parasound which is more typical: https://www.stereophile.com/content/parasound-halo-jc-1-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements-0. Same THD20 rise, bad CCIF. And a McIntosh: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-laboratory-mc462-power-amplifier-measurements. Some rise, but much less, and 20dB lower on the sideband and the 1kHz difference component is quite low (and this is at 100W). Is it necessarily guaranteed that a poor showing on a frequency sweep will lead to bad results on the CCIF IMD test? No. There are some contrary examples, particularly with Purifi or Hypex modules where people have done stupid implementations. But that's why it matters to do the test, and why that 20kHz distortion rise is a big, flashing red WARNING sign.

Like it or not, Stereophile is still doing one of the better jobs out there of doing the proper tests to characterize an amplifier's performance. ASR still does not do them, which leads to a litany of people who care about technical performance thinking they do not matter, and refusing to believe they might. It's depressing on a site dedicated to audio science. It's like testing a Bugatti Veyron and running it through a 0-60 and a top speed test, and refusing to go around a corner because you think corners just don't matter. I suppose if you just drag race and flying mile your Veyron or just listen to 1kHz tones and no cymbals on your amplifier, both would be enough. Anyway, thanks to pkane for filling in some gaps. If this was at a higher power than just 5W, Topping deserves a lot of credit for making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The nasty THD20 might not be causing the problems it usually does.

And it goes on, why don't you start a new thread?

What are the moderators doing?!?

ryanmh1

And it goes on, why don't you start a new thread?

What are the moderators doing?!?

Clearly, trying to determine whether the high THD at high frequencies of the amplifier which is the subject of this review is actually causing problems elsewhere in the spectrum, as would be expected, and explaining why this would be expected, along with some lamenting that the testp protocol provides insufficient information to do much more than waive a red flag without resolving the issue. And then someone else posted something indicating it might not present the expected problem. And I then I asked him what power level he measured it at, and demonstrated why that was important. Pretty germane to the device under test. :cool:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly, trying to determine whether the high THD at high frequencies of the amplifier which is the subject of this review is actually causing problems elsewhere in the spectrum, as would be expected, and explaining why this would be expected, along with some lamenting that the testp protocol provides insufficient information to do much more than waive a red flag without resolving the issue. And then someone else posted something indicating it might not present the expected problem. And I then I asked him what power level he measured it at, and demonstrated why that was important. Pretty germane to the device under test. :cool:

But it doesn't cause problems - regardless of whether you expect it or not. As shown by the 19/20 test posted by @pkane

MarkWinston

I think more tests, I mean MORE tests should be done to differentiate one amp from another. Accept it, we are not at the pinnacle of testing and Im sure many other tests would show the differences we are hearing between amps or anything for that matter. Science doesnt stop, so we shouldnt. In fact, scientifically, we are newborns, so dont be over confident when stating something. Does science stop? No. So you dont. Simple. As a PA5 owner, it real good, but there are certain areas that dont top my cheap@ss DA9.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Regarding @pkane measurements, the 60hz and 7khz one is based on 5w? Also, may I know why the 60hz tone show such a wide range that cover 50hz to 70hz? Is it expected behavior for such measurement?

20220203_104336.png

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding @pkane measurements, the 60hz and 7khz one is based on 5w? Also, may I know why the 60hz tone show such a wide range that cover 50hz to 70hz? Is it expected behavior for such measurement?

View attachment 183946

Measured at 5W. FFTs have a limited frequency resolution. Because of the logarithmic scale, lower frequencies are stretched out compared to higher frequencies. This, combined with FFT windowing is just a measurement artifact and nothing to do with the device.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Measured at 5W. FFTs have a limited frequency resolution. Because of the logarithmic scale, lower frequencies are stretched out compared to higher frequencies. This, combined with FFT windowing is just a measurement artifact and nothing to do with the device.
Thanks @Lambda and @pkane for explaining.

@pkane, since distortion for higher frequencies only high when using higher power, I am curious about distortion when a song has strong sub bass. Are you able to do a 50w 30hz and 7khz measurements?

Thanks!

ryanmh1

Got it. So it's not quite an "apples for apples" comparison to most other amplifiers where we have a CCIF test since those have typically been done at higher power level. At low listening levels, at least, it's quite clean. As power ramps up, there might be problems. A sample of this happening with tests by Archimago at 1W and 25W is here: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ewNJ3lXxJEk/XhKRHnoMuYI/AAAAAAAAV78/8lPbl_8VXpQt3YV39GkJ4h3eJL4xvSy-gCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Hypex+NC252MP+IMD+2V+and+10V.png. His test of an Emotiva amp shows this more clearly: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/12/measurements-emotiva-xpa-1l-gen-1-class.html

A test at higher powers would show what actually happens with the PA5. If it behaves like a Hypex, the 1kHz component might drop (!), but the sidebands may or may not rise to "unacceptable" levels, depending on your standards of what is acceptable.

I'll jump off the bandwagon about proper measurements. There's a good ASR thread about that here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...plifiers-with-different-topology.26942/page-2. I had hoped there was enough information on this thing out there to be able to tell whether it might actually perform as well as or at least close to a Hypex or an AHB2 throughout its admittedly limited power output ability. Unfortunately, we don't know whether Topping has cured the other ills of these TI chips, and the high THD20 remains a red flag. All we really know for sure is that they've put together a good power supply and clearly designed for extremely low THD+N at 1kHz, and have done that well. And yes, I'm overly harping on this $350 amp, but only because a lot of people think this is the "second best" amp measured next to an AHB2, when that is most likely untrue when the proper tests are done.

Someone go and pump 30W through this thing on a CCIF and SMPTE test and let's see what pops out. I really want to eat some crow if it stays this clean...

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it. So it's not quite an "apples for apples" comparison to most other amplifiers where we have a CCIF test since those have typically been done at higher power level. At low listening levels, at least, it's quite clean. As power ramps up, there might be problems. A sample of this happening with tests by Archimago at 1W and 25W is here: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ewNJ3lXxJEk/XhKRHnoMuYI/AAAAAAAAV78/8lPbl_8VXpQt3YV39GkJ4h3eJL4xvSy-gCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Hypex+NC252MP+IMD+2V+and+10V.png. His test of an Emotiva amp shows this more clearly: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/12/measurements-emotiva-xpa-1l-gen-1-class.html

A test at higher powers would show what actually happens with the PA5. If it behaves like a Hypex, the 1kHz component might drop (!), but the sidebands may or may not rise to "unacceptable" levels, depending on your standards of what is acceptable.

I'll jump off the bandwagon about proper measurements. There's a good ASR thread about that here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...plifiers-with-different-topology.26942/page-2. I had hoped there was enough information on this thing out there to be able to tell whether it might actually perform as well as or at least close to a Hypex or an AHB2 throughout its admittedly limited power output ability. Unfortunately, we don't know whether Topping has cured the other ills of these TI chips, and the high THD20 remains a red flag. All we really know for sure is that they've put together a good power supply and clearly designed for extremely low THD+N at 1kHz, and have done that well. And yes, I'm overly harping on this $350 amp, but only because a lot of people think this is the "second best" amp measured next to an AHB2, when that is most likely untrue when the proper tests are done.

Someone go and pump 30W through this thing on a CCIF and SMPTE test and let's see what pops out. I really want to eat some crow if it stays this clean...

If you are concerned about higher listening levels, sure, you should measure at higher power. PA5 is for my office use with 88dB/W/m speakers located less than 1m away from my ears, so 5W is plenty for my purposes.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Lambda and @pkane for explaining.

@pkane, since distortion for higher frequencies only high when using higher power, I am curious about distortion when a song has strong sub bass. Are you able to do a 50w 30hz and 7khz measurements?

Thanks!

I may measure it in the future, but since the amp is now part of a system, I'd rather not disconnect it unless I really need to.

BoredErica

I'm confused. pa5 is not a monster power amp. We were talking about 19khz or 20kz tones here right? By the time it's doing 20khz at significantly above 5w, wouldn't the rest of the music be clipping because music is quieter the higher the frequency you go?

Drengur

Forum Donor
I'm confused. pa5 is not a monster power amp. We were talking about 19khz or 20kz tones here right? By the time it's doing 20khz at significantly above 5w, wouldn't the rest of the music be clipping because music is quieter the higher the frequency you go?
You are not confused. You pretty much understand it 100% as I see it.

whazzup

So the PA5 is so good that people cannot hear any difference anymore, and are trying to justify their multi-thousand-dollar amps by throwing up electronic tests that have not been proven to matter sonically.

Cool~

Last edited:

gfinlays

It's been said before - a lot of this thread lately has been about finding ways to trash a budget amplifier which has exceptional technical performance. You would never achieve 5W output between 19 and 20kHz other than in a PA setup, or with a hugely inefficient speaker system in a massive room. Neither would use a 50W/8 ohm amplifier.....

Last edited:

nagster

It's time for you to publish the evidence to support your claim.
Don't just sacrifice someone else's time and assets.

whazzup

While my PA5 isn't going to replace the 180lbs of 200W, all class-A mono blocks I have in my system, I find it amusing to think that it can, considering it's 1/20 the size, 1/200 the weight and 1/40 the price and about 10x (20dB) better SINAD :)
Will be interesting to see if you perceived any difference (sonically or measured) between your mono blocks and the PA5.

Top Bottom