• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

asoka

The test between pa5 and da9 was as correct as I could do it, because I really wanted that pa5 to be good and surpass da9 and no intention to return it but after the test had no choice. The source was spotify no more hires than that but will not impact anything...I used spotify because the option to put the channels in mono...then with an volume control I switched channels full left full right...one amp connected to a speaker another to other speaker. The difference was immediately evident :( listened 2 days trying to find the better sound in pa5 but without success :( even asked the wife to help me with audition :) and his reaction was in the first 2 minutes the same...and choosed da9 as sounding better/fuller.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The test between pa5 and da9 was as correct as I could do it, because I really wanted that pa5 to be good and surpass da9 and no intention to return it but after the test had no choice. The source was spotify no more hires than that but will not impact anything...I used spotify because the option to put the channels in mono...then with an volume control I switched channels full left full right...one amp connected to a speaker another to other speaker. The difference was immediately evident :( listened 2 days trying to find the better sound in pa5 but without success :( even asked the wife to help me with audition :) and his reaction was in the first 2 minutes the same...and choosed da9 as sounding better/fuller.
I'm not surprised, you can read several comments from people who have written on forums, and the well-designed Infineon ma12070 based amps sound great.

mike70

Many times I hear that a very high technical amplifier sounds more "aseptic" ... not like the real thing. Some subjective reviewers says the same, I remember Thomas & Stereo talking about some "thin" sound in middle frequencies in class D amplifiers (in general).
He mentioned some class D models that subjectively sounds more "class A".

Going to the core aspects in ASR, I'll be very glad to find some kind of measure that shows that.

Rafaille

Many times I hear that a very high technical amplifier sounds more "aseptic" ... not like the real thing. Some subjective reviewers says the same, I remember Thomas & Stereo talking about some "thin" sound in middle frequencies in class D amplifiers (in general).

Going to the core aspects in ASR, I'll be very glad to find some kind of measure that shows that.
Even harmonics for Sabaj amp maybe?
Just out curiosity, did you try to swap speakers or did you listen to the same speaker/amp combination every time during your mono test?
How did you control volume to account for gain differences?

mike70

Just out curiosity, did you try to swap speakers or did you listen to the same speaker/amp combination every time during your mono test?

@asoka did the test :)

asoka

Yes I am in a hunt to a better class d amp...I do not want anymore the clunky big amps half the size of my room :) I read about the amps build around icepower 1200as2 as being more balanced...giving importance to all frequencies from bass to highs and not sounding thin. The da9 had ok mids...not over beefy but present but the bass it is not sufficient without help from tone corrections or dac dsp, but with them it sound really good and I do not detect an decrease in sound quality. PA 5 indeed had thin mids and amplified higs that it perhaps good for enhancing a very dark pair of speakers.

xaon60

Probably pa5 will suit better a very dark bassy speaker with rolled off highs.
The highs of my Klpsch R-820F are boosted by +5db due to the horn and are therefore very impulsive. The high frequencies produced by the PA5 are so well generated that I wouldn't want to go back to a lower level. It makes the music extremely lively!

asoka

I not swapped the speakers because I know them...previously assured that the 2 speakers sound the same. I controlled the volume with much attention by independently volume on the 2 amps until they matched very very close...but anyway the sound difference was visible immediately even with everything not matched perfectly.

Last edited:

asoka

The highs of my Klpsch R-820F are boosted by +5db due to the horn and are therefore very impulsive. The high frequencies produced by the PA5 are so well generated that I wouldn't want to go back to a lower level. It makes the music extremely lively!
It is clearly a matter of taste, and speaker matching and listening habits. I was also seeking always for the better, clearer and powerful highs that give music a taste of clarity and liveness opposed mudded barrel sound....but reached the point when it is enough and more became fatiguing...and that happened with the pa5...also disliked the thinner mids...if you could hear them in parallel you could understood.

gfinlays

if you want to use it without banana plugs, you can simply unscrew them and make the contact directly. (no holes here)
BTW : they are really easy to update for those who are looking for better Banana plugs or better connectors, checkout from Dyaudio :

Oooh, I might have to do this mod to mine - I'm a sucker for Neutrik Speakons. They're a little bit of the reason I bought a Benchmark AHB2 for my main hifi setup in the lounge.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
even asked the wife to help me with audition
Classic final arbiter of truth!

Edit: for it to be totally legitimate, the wife needs to be in another room and still hear the difference. At this point you know that no further measurement is necessary.

Last edited:

JohnnyNG

Yep - the PA5 is outstanding on my Revel M106. Very smooth, clean, and detailed.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yes I am in a hunt to a better class d amp...I do not want anymore the clunky big amps half the size of my room :) I read about the amps build around icepower 1200as2 as being more balanced...giving importance to all frequencies from bass to highs and not sounding thin. The da9 had ok mids...not over beefy but present but the bass it is not sufficient without help from tone corrections or dac dsp, but with them it sound really good and I do not detect an decrease in sound quality. PA 5 indeed had thin mids and amplified higs that it perhaps good for enhancing a very dark pair of speakers.

if we rely purely on measurements, I think the PA5 has no competitor in this price range...
On the other hand, I must admit that the MA12070 is warmer to listen to and softer in the highs.

SMSL DA9 Measurements

daniboun

Major Contributor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Oooh, I might have to do this mod to mine - I'm a sucker for Neutrik Speakons. They're a little bit of the reason I bought a Benchmark AHB2 for my main hifi setup in the lounge.
It would be interesting to see measurements before and after the mod - the AHB2 lost ~3dB SINAD moving from the SpeakOns to bananas in the binding posts.

asoka

if we rely purely on measurements, I think the PA5 has no competitor in this price range...
On the other hand, I must admit that the MA12070 is warmer to listen to and softer in the highs.

SMSL DA9 Measurements

Yep actual measurement could not tell actual sound, this is the problem. I always try to listen with real life sablon to the sound, to be able to sense if something it is out of place...best if you could peak and listen an known voice...it is more easy to perceive the wrongs you will perceive unnatural voices...too thinned or to grave...it is an natural function of our brain to respond to natural voicing. Also listening to violins ensembles, never they should sound harsh etc. Another method is to perceive the unity of sound...when the instruments in an composition start to sound disparate breaking the unity of instrumental composition this is not a sign of greater resolution or separation but a sign of some frequencies being boosted or damped. I do not consider the da9 warm by any means but more close to natural sounding. A lot of reviews confuse highs emphasize with hires sound.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yep actual measurement could not tell actual sound, this is the problem. I always try to listen with real life sablon to the sound, to be able to sense if something it is out of place...best if you could peak and listen an known voice...it is more easy to perceive the wrongs you will perceive unnatural voices...too thinned or to grave...it is an natural function of our brain to respond to natural voicing. Also listening to violins ensembles, never they should sound harsh etc. Another method is to perceive the unity of sound...when the instruments in an composition start to sound disparate breaking the unity of instrumental composition this is not a sign of greater resolution or separation but a sign of some frequencies being boosted or damped. I do not consider the da9 warm by any means but more close to natural sounding. A lot of reviews confuse highs emphasize with hires sound.

It's a respectable opinion) If I had to designate an amp "more close to natural sounding", I would go for the Satisfaction A2, based on a dual Tripath chip. I know few people who have tested it but I have many Class D amps, it's the one that struck me the most I think)

0bs3rv3r

Also listening to violins ensembles, never they should sound harsh etc.

This is an example one of the problems with listening tests and description, instead of measurements where actual numbers can be compared.

For me, violins SHOULD have a lovely harsh edge to them. Only a good system with reveal it, but it is easily heard live. They sound of the bow scraping on the string adds to the fundamental note that is being played and is part of the enjoyable sound of a violin. The very slight differences in intonation between groups of violins playing together (violins being fretless and having real world imperfections), adds a roughness to the sound that is all part of the enjoyable experience. A good system makes it all available, and closely approaching the actual live sound. I love a recording that sounds like I am standing in the middle of the ensemble that is playing.

Top Bottom