• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

xaon60

I had asked the brand directly earlier, I'm happy with the answer :)

I'm going to try in preamp but I'll make sure I don't push the dac too much I really don't want to damage the pa5

Attachments

• 2279583F-8075-499A-AE38-3FD23B68C3C2.png
    2279583F-8075-499A-AE38-3FD23B68C3C2.png
    458.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No harm in not pushing the dac too much - but even if you do you won't damage the amp.

In any case, the difference between 4V and 2.6V is only about 4dB. Keep your DAC volume below -4dB and you won't exceed the 2.6V

xaon60

Feedback from my experience on the D90se as a preamp with an R-115SW at the RCA output and a PA5 at the XLR output with 2x R-820F.

It's absolutely monstrous how clear it sounds in the highs and mids, it's purity never aggressive and low frequencies can be so punchy on my columns! I've never heard it knock like this.

As for the subwoofer, it completely shook my whole room, but in a different way. I am absolutely shocked at what is happening.

I have never heard such a beautiful sound in all my life.

nagster

I had asked the brand directly earlier, I'm happy with the answer :)

I'm going to try in preamp but I'll make sure I don't push the dac too much I really don't want to damage the pa5
It is known that there is no problem in the input part of PA5 even if a balanced input signal of 26Vrms is applied.

On the other hand, the output of PA5 starts clipping from about 23Vrms (4ohm), so it is necessary to adjust the volume knob of PA5 so that clipping does not occur.

xaon60

It is known that there is no problem in the input part of PA5 even if a balanced input signal of 26Vrms is applied.

On the other hand, the output of PA5 starts clipping from about 23Vrms (4ohm), so it is necessary to adjust the volume knob of PA5 so that clipping does not occur.
Does that mean I can put the d90se in the dac position with 4Vrms on the XLR output? I haven't dared to do it yet.
You just have to avoid putting the volume all the way up on the PA 5 if I understood correctly.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The D90SE only has either 4V or 5V output. I would stick w/ 4V out for the PA5.

xaon60

I'm sorry if I have trouble understanding some things because I'm French and the translation of some terms is not correct, so it's difficult sometimes. :D
Thank you for your details.

nagster

Does that mean I can put the d90se in the dac position with 4Vrms on the XLR output? I haven't dared to do it yet.
You just have to avoid putting the volume all the way up on the PA 5 if I understood correctly.
There is no problem connecting the D90SE XLR output terminal of DAC mode (either 4V or 5V) and the TRS terminal of PA5.
Operate the volume knob on the PA5 to change the volume.
This is the most common usage. It's also technically appropriate.

If you need to change the volume remotely, set D90SE to PRE mode. First, adjust the position of the volume knob on the PA5 to the maximum volume of your ears after maximizing D90SE.
After that, operate with the remote control of D90SE. Then it is safe.

Either of them is ok.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

Here some new pictures of the PA5 Stock brick PSU
First of all, I don't think this is neat PSU, I measured it @ 35V only with oscillations between 34 and 36V on the multimeter...

The Output caps are are branded "Vent", and tagged as being low ESR. (50V / 680uf)
The Power Management controller chip is a TEA88181T/1Y, that is a half bridge resonant converter , with PFC.

The PCB from the stock PSU inspires rather confidence but I do not have sufficient knowledge to judge...

In any case I am sure of one thing, the Connex 300RS LLC PSU is much more stable on the multimeter and I imagine it measures better without a doubt )

Some pictures so you can see from inside :

Connex LLC PSU 300RS + PA5 stacked.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi amigos,

Here some new pictures of the PA5 Stock brick PSU
First of all, I don't think this is neat PSU, I measured it @ 35V only with oscillations between 34 and 36V on the multimeter...

The Output caps are are branded "Vent", and tagged as being low ESR. (50V / 680uf)
The Power Management controller chip is a TEA88181T/1Y, that is a half bridge resonant converter , with PFC.

The PCB from the stock PSU inspires rather confidence but I do not have sufficient knowledge to judge...

In any case I am sure of one thing, the Connex 300RS LLC PSU is much more stable on the multimeter and I imagine it measures better without a doubt )

Some pictures so you can see from inside :

Connexion 300RS + PA5 stacked.

Thanks for the pictures. It is quite likely that your PSU output measures better than the stock PSU output. It is difficult though to see this translating into better measurements at the speaker, given how good the measurements are with the stock PSU. It already has a ridiculously low noise floor.

daniboun

Major Contributor
To be honest this amp measures so well it's very hard to tell the difference by ear between the two PSUs, although I feel the Connex gives more bass body and depth. A test of Amir would be necessary but I am convinced that the Connex is much better (I admit that its price can put off more than one person)

Forgot to share, the Stock PSU inside ref. is : JLY34-200813

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thanks for the pictures. It is quite likely that your PSU output measures better than the stock PSU output. It is difficult though to see this translating into better measurements at the speaker, given how good the measurements are with the stock PSU. It already has a ridiculously low noise floor.

In my opinion, where we would really notice the difference is at a high listening volume

daniboun

Major Contributor
As long as I'm at it I'll share some pictures of my disassembled PA5 even if you already know its insides)

Version is : PA5 V1.12

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion, where we would really notice the difference is at a high listening volume
True - if at maximum volume a PSU with a +/- 1V instability could take you in and out of clipping. But you'd only have to worry about it until your eardrums broke :cool:

Eldus

As long as I'm at it I'll share some pictures of my disassembled PA5 even if you already know its insides)

Version is : PA5 V1.12

Do you need banana plugs to connect speakers to the terminals or do they have holes in the stock to put bare wire?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Do you need banana plugs to connect speakers to the terminals or do they have holes in the stock to put bare wire?

if you want to use it without banana plugs, you can simply unscrew them and make the contact directly. (no holes here)
BTW : they are really easy to update for those who are looking for better Banana plugs or better connectors, checkout from Dyaudio :

Last edited:

asoka

Unfortunately I chose to return this pa5, after comparing with smsl da9, one amplif to a speaker another to the other speaker and instantly A-B between them. Discovered that pa5 sount thinner and more strident than smsl da9...and this is the exact opus as what I wanted. Pa5 had upper mids and highs exaggerated on top of the bass that will make it sound bass thin and more aggressive with thinner mids...more thin voices because this. Smsl it is better balanced with more full body voices and because not so aggressive high mids and highs with am more apparent bass presence.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Unfortunately I chose to return this pa5, after comparing with smsl da9, one amplif to a speaker another to the other speaker and instantly A-B between them. Discovered that pa5 sount thinner and more strident than smsl da9...and this is the exact opus as what I wanted. Pa5 had upper mids and highs exaggerated on top of the bass that will make it sound bass thin and more aggressive with thinner mids...more thin voices because this. Smsl it is better balanced with more full body voices and because not so aggressive high mids and highs with am more apparent bass presence.

The Merus MA12070 chip sounds warmer than the TPA325X. This is what I reported with the Sabaj A20A that is using the same dual Merus chips.
What a pity that ASR did not measure the Sabaj A20A which pleases many people, including me)

In the category of amplifiers under 400 euros, the PA5, the Sabaj A20A and the SMSL DA9 are safe bets!

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What a pity that ASR did not measure the Sabaj A20A which pleases many people, including me)

Are you sure the amplifier wasn't clipping?
and ... if the test was ok, that characteristics will be shown in the SINAD / power measurements?

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Merus MA12070 chip sounds warmer than the TPA325X. This is what I reported with the Sabaj A20A that is using the same dual Merus chips.

In the category of amplifiers under 400 euros, the PA5, the Sabaj A20A and the SMSL DA9 are safe bets!
I like too the Sabaj A20a.

Top Bottom