• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

nagster

THD+N vs input level
pa5_thdn_vs_inputlevel01copy.png

0bs3rv3r

Amir said at the conclusions : "Personally, I think 67 watts is not enough for home listening. Today's speakers have become smaller in size and shrunk in efficiency, needing fair bit of power to get them to produce proper dynamics."

Does above statement also apply to PA5 (8 Ohm speakers) ? :rolleyes:

Amir doesn't always have it right. :) "Today's speakers" vary widely. You can buy just about anything you want. My speakers are about 95dB efficient. I only need a few (3 watts) for all home listening, including small parties.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir said at the conclusions : "Personally, I think 67 watts is not enough for home listening. Today's speakers have become smaller in size and shrunk in efficiency, needing fair bit of power to get them to produce proper dynamics."

Does above statement also apply to PA5 (8 Ohm speakers) ? :rolleyes:
I could blow out my eardrums with 1 Watt into my Klipsch Hereseys... :)

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are plenty of RCA to TRS cables. Try amazon. Many are under $20 usd.
You will not have a balanced line but no worries at all.
I see a lot of RCA to TS cables but not RCA to TRS cables. Do you mean RCA to TS is fine and don't need TRS for RCA output DAC to TRS of PA5?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's nice to see.

Basically input stage can accept any reasonable voltage. Clipping only occours (I assume - you don't state what the 3 volume positions are.) when the amp reaches maximum power output.

THD+N is best (as I'd expect) when the PA5 is set to maximum volume.

qec

I had no problem using RCA to TS however it is all comes down to voltage output levels from the DACs RCA connection.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see a lot of RCA to TS cables but not RCA to TRS cables. Do you mean RCA to TS is fine and don't need TRS for RCA output DAC to TRS of PA5?
I used these RCA to TS adapters on my PA5 for a few weeks until my balanced miniDSP Flex showed up, and they worked great.

nagster

rca_trs01.png

R1=Output Impedance. If you compromise, you may omit R1.
Sometimes P1 and P2 are connected if the situation is not ideal.

nagster

That's nice to see.

Basically input stage can accept any reasonable voltage. Clipping only occours (I assume - you don't state what the 3 volume positions are.) when the amp reaches maximum power output.

THD+N is best (as I'd expect) when the PA5 is set to maximum volume.
I couldn't enlarge the text on APx500. Enlarge the image.

pa5_thdn_vs_inputlevel01copy02.png

maudio

Unless you have a massive room and listen at ear-splitting levels, the PA5 should have plenty of power.
thnx, naw, the room is bigger, but i listen on normal to more silent levels. more silent than at live chamber or jazz concert, which is not so good, because human ear perceives certain frequencies in non linear way so the music does not sound as intended by the producing engineer, but my ears like it "in a silent way".

nagster

There is no abnormality in the measurement result.

That is, it is better not to use the PA5 volume control?
There is no harm to signal quality.
Regarding noise, if the rated level signal output from the sound source is attenuated to the desired volume by PA5, the system noise will be minimized.
The same is true for other amplifiers.

simplywyn

Hi guys,

my KEF LS50 wireless speakers broke 1 month after the warranty expired.. I'm never buying active speakers again!
Just ordered their Q950 towers to get some more bass for home cinema.

Would this amplifier be powerful enough to get a good bass sound out of a tower?
Their specified sensitivity is 91dB (2.83V/1m).

I'm in love with my D90/A90 stack for headphone use, and this looks to be another gem from Topping.
Would be incredible to not have to repair the pot on my old 30kg 1993 Yamaha DSP A-1000, that monster doesn't even fit in my media console.

I have Buckeye's 500W amp for my Q950 and it's good, I just ordered the Topping PA5 and will try that today and let you know

simplywyn

Plugged the pa5 into my q950s, not bad at all.

can drive them no problems and beats the demon 600ne hands down, easily. I had the Denon and hated them. Way too underpowered.

However the 500w buckeye still beats it, feels very effortless in comparison but the pa5 can still stand on its own, especially in the bass regions

edit: after more listening, I’m conflicted, I’m liking the pa5 as it is crisper and more neutral

back to the buckeye, yeas it’s too clinical for me

Last edited:

simplywyn

PA5, very clinical, very crisp, good bass, NC500, sounds natural, veeeery powerful, effortless bass…

I’ll do more listening tomorrow, literally only had it for 20 minutes so far

listened some more, the problem is pa5 power limits.

there is honestly really no difference between the two amps. Pa5 feels a bit more clear.

what is really clear is the limited power from pa5.

Last edited:

simplywyn

To be clear though I bought these to power my future kev r3 desktop speakers …

my q950 are several ft away from me and are in my living room. The pa5 is thunderous but not as room filling as the buckeye

Last edited:
Top Bottom