• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Redheart

Dony care about the
Compared with the A07 - which is what the discussion was about - it is the same power.

If it hasn't enough power for your application then fine - unless you are underdriving the inputs by only sending 2V from an unbalanced connection to a balanced input that expects 4V. Then you are misapplying the amp.

Compared with the A07 - which is what the discussion was about - it is the same power.

If it hasn't enough power for your application then fine - unless you are underdriving the inputs by only sending 2V from an unbalanced connection to a balanced input that expects 4V. Then you are misapplying the amp.
Hey did i mentioned A07?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dony care about the

Hey did i mentioned A07?
No you didn't mention it. But my post that you replied to (and contradicted) was specifically a reply to a conversation talking about two amps with aprox the same power, the PA5 and the A07.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jukka

Nice small amp, congratulations to Topping for this!

As an active-speaker builder, I wish there was something that I could use to power 2 and 3-way speakers, had DSP, bunch of useful management features and costed less than a FusionAmp. That's where we should go from here.

I notice many are asking if they should bi-amp and use this for highs. No. Use it for mids and bass (if it meets your power requirements), but not to high frequencies. The reason is rising distortion. It's presented in the measurements, the last image should be self-explanatory.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not about the A07 at all in my complain. PA05 in itself is OK as a desktop amp. But not for living room.

Just because it is a labeled as a desktop amp doesnt mean it cant serve well in a living room or any other room for that matter. My living room is 9 meters x 7 meters x 4 meters high and the PA5 can easily power the R200/12.2 covering every square inch of that place. 90db average at the listening position @ 3 meters, with no problems handling peaks at all. I can even do that with the DA9, so unless you are driving crazy 80db speakers and sitting miles away expecting 100+db average in a 100 square meter room, its not underpowered as you claim.

Solveit

Nice small amp, congratulations to Topping for this!

As an active-speaker builder, I wish there was something that I could use to power 2 and 3-way speakers, had DSP, bunch of useful management features and costed less than a FusionAmp. That's where we should go from here.

I notice many are asking if they should bi-amp and use this for highs. No. Use it for mids and bass (if it meets your power requirements), but not to high frequencies. The reason is rising distortion. It's presented in the measurements, the last image should be self-explanatory.
Tweeters only use a few watts so it going to work fine.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone willing to make a soundclip of how Topping PA5 sounds :)
Not sure if you are joking or not - but if someone did, all you would hear would be the characteristics of the testers speakers, room and microphone.

All of which would swamp any difference you might hear between amps.

Perdonate l'ignoranza, ma vorrei acquistare il Topping PA5 insieme al DAC E50. Non ho un computer, quindi vorrei iniziare a riprodurre musica tramite il mio smartphone Google Pixel 4a, è possibile? Al momento lo uso con un Sanskrith mk2 SMSL... La connessione tra Dac e telefono avviene tramite micro usb e type c, ma vedo che l'E50 non ha micro usb

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perdonate l'ignoranza, ma vorrei acquistare il Topping PA5 insieme al DAC E50. Non ho un computer, quindi vorrei iniziare a riprodurre musica tramite il mio smartphone Google Pixel 4a, è possibile? Al momento lo uso con un Sanskrith mk2 SMSL... La connessione tra Dac e telefono avviene tramite micro usb e type c, ma vedo che l'E50 non ha micro usb

Google Translate:
Forgive the ignorance, but I would like to buy the Topping PA5 together with the DAC E50. I don't have a computer, so I would like to start playing music through my Google Pixel 4a smartphone, is that possible? At the moment I use it with a Sanskrith mk2 SMSL ... The connection between Dac and phone is via micro usb and type c, but I see that the E50 has no micro usb

It has a USB B connector, you could use a cable such as:

Alternatively you could consider a DAC with built in bluetooth such as the D50S (But that doesn't have balanced outputs)

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
…. And get something similar to the original file, if no mistake is done. I always wonder why these childish requests to make a recording with a microphone in someone’s room.

Here's PA5 playing a 2 minute music file, recorded at the speakers terminals into an 8ohm resistor. At DAC input 0dBFS the output was 5w. Blue is the original file, white is PC->USB->DAC->PA5 chain output, recorded using E1DA ADC:

1641320395806.png

When the DAC output is measured directly, bypassing PA5, the RMS null is -54dBFS. With PA5 in the chain, the null is -50dBFS, which is still very respectable for a DAC, and doubly so for an amp.

PK Metric showing the error signal adjusted for audibility:
1641320554288.png

Spectrum of the delta (null) file:
1641320597019.png

Linearity, in bits:
1641320627344.png

Delta Spectrogram:
1641320662341.png

Ha un connettore USB B, usare un cavo come:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matt...461&hvtargid=pla-492345964485&psc=1 [/QUOTE]
In alternativa potresti considerare un DAC con bluetooth integrato come il D50S (ma che non ha uscite bilanciate)

vcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046461&hvtargid=pla-492345964485&psc=1[/URL]

In alternativa potresti considerare un DAC con bluetooth integrato come il D50S (ma che non ha uscite bilanciate)

I am really grateful to you, regarding the Topping D50s I don't take it into consideration because I wanted to use the Pa5 in balanced

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1) Compare to my Purifi 1ET400A EVAL1 kit: Not even close. The Purifi sounds miles better, the bass is more powerful and more defined. The mids and highs are more clear and soundstage is more open. Anyone saying that this amp competes with the Purifi doesn't know what they are talking about, sorry :(

3) Worse offender: compare to my Aiyima 07 (stock, no opamp mods or PSU mods, using the stock 32V PSU): The Aiyima sounds better, unfortunately... It is not as silent for sure, but, the difference in the articulation on the bass to mid region is very obvious. I honestly would trade the perfect SNR and zero noise of the PA5 to the more vivid bass sound on the Aiyima any day. Very sad this one :(
I agree on 3rd one - A07 stomps all over PA5. And the bottome line - save a little more money and get a Purifi or nCore, or don't save - get A07.
PA5 works fine for my speakers JBL A170.

Top Bottom