• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 525 65.4%

• Total voters

Michal

After a few hours of listening, here's what I can say about the LA90. First I admit that my choice was conditioned by the fact that it is a class AB amp. The ASR measurements don't lie, I had no doubts about its performance but rather about its listening level.

Frankly I'm not disappointed) It is more than enough for a room of 30M2 at an honorable listening level.

For those in doubt :

VS my Purifi (Kayamb OPA2210 buffers) VS my PA5: I wanted to know how well an AB amp mounted in the rules of the art could sound compared to a Class D amp mounted in the same rules of the art.
In all honesty I find the same "grain" that I had on my MOS-120 (MOSFET IRFP240 / IRFP9240) but with the surgery and righteousness of PA5 and Purifi.

What I noticed, I nitpick but I share it all the same: when I put my ears on my Seas Beryllium tweeter, the PA5 and the LA90 are absolutely silent, so that we have the impression that the amps are totally off. With my two Purifis, there is a very slight hiss, almost inaudible, but with your ears glued together you can hear it.

Now on the overall listening, the LA90 provides a lot of pleasure, I find it generally softer but that does not surprise me. Like I said, that's the feeling I've always had with Class AB amps.
It drives my speakers very elegantly, everything is clear across the all spectrum, it has excellent holography and the good quality recordings are simply amazing! I will continue my listening and see how it behaves over time

I had a doubt about its power, but in volume bypass mode and high gain, my DAC set to the same volume as my PA5, it's quite comparable. The Purifi on the other hand is more powerful, no doubt )

My first listens let me say that this is an excellent amp, admittedly a bit expensive but what does it sound good!

My Setup :

Gustard AK4499 DAC set @ -2DB
Orbit MK2 speakers Cables
LA90 set @ volume Bypass / high gain
Playlist : Audiophile Master 2019 (HD audio)
Floor Speakers : XTZ 100% Seas woofers + Seas Beryllium Tweeters (88DB)
3th order XTZ special CrossOver.

Hi
If you still have this amplifier or if you no longer have it, maybe you remember its sound character and could help me.
How does this amplifier build the sound stage?
How deep and wide is the soundstage?
Where is the beginning of the soundstage - in front of the speaker line, on the speaker line or behind the speaker line?
Is the sound detached from the speakers and coming out to the sides?
Kind regards
Michal

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi
If you still have this amplifier or if you no longer have it, maybe you remember its sound character and could help me.
Where is the beginning of the soundstage - in front of the speaker line, on the speaker line or behind the speaker line?
Kind regards
Michal
The LA90 is a simple amplifier. It cannot "build a sound stage".

That's the job of your speakers, listening environment, music, and potentially DSP.

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi
Kind regards
Michal

Sold it sorry.... Got some reliability issues with my second one btw. Nice amplifier but I dont want to trust Topping anymore.

Michal

Sold it sorry.... Got some reliability issues with my second one btw. Nice amplifier but I dont want to trust Topping anymore.
I am aware of this, but I cannot afford a high-quality amplifier with such measurements.
Could you please write something regarding my questions?

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I cannot afford a high-quality amplifier with such measurements

Well, I think that's incorrect ... you can find near SOTA hypex amps at the topping price tag. Search for (in the US) buckeye, Vtv, ... etc.

That modules are high quality and have proved durability.

Ziofrenko

Your questions are completely meaningless... And I speak as a sound professional for 10 years and as a bass player for 20 years.
Once the crasstalk measurements are at such high levels, the soundstage cannot be compromised...
It is the other amplifiers with more relevant crosstalk and distortion values that disturb the soundstage present in the support.

D

Deleted member 48726

I am aware of this, but I cannot afford a high-quality amplifier with such measurements.
You don't need anything close to this level of THD+N.

daniboun

Major Contributor

Difficult to answer but as far as I remember. Ultra transparent amp with a great soundstage. Lack a bit of power.... Nice for small / medium rooms.
If you are looking for an alternative check my "Micro audio project" ))

Palladium

You don't need anything close to this level of THD+N.

I took my phone SPL app inside of my crappy car and measured 60db dBA broadband noise floor with the engine idling and 70dbA at 60kph, and yet people are still worried about a "mere" SINAD of ~75dB of a car amp for some reason.

Ziofrenko

In a "mere sinad" there is also distortion as well as noise!!!! THD It's always perceptible.
So if you have a 100dB speaker, that can reach easily 120/125dB of max SPL, and yuo have a room with 40dB of noise floor here the difference between 90 and 120dB of sinad is clearly perceptible.
As well is very noticeable a difference of 30dB of noise on a Mic preamp when you have to do 60 or 70dB of gain on a Mic...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In a "mere sinad" there is also distortion as well as noise!!!! THD It's always perceptible.
So if you have a 100dB speaker, that can reach easily 120/125dB of max SPL, and yuo have a room with 40dB of noise floor here the difference between 90 and 120dB of sinad is clearly perceptible.
As well is very noticeable a difference of 30dB of noise on a Mic preamp when you have to do 60 or 70dB of gain on a Mic...
If you are listening at a steady 125dB, your ears are going to be damaged before you need to worry about Sinad.

D

Deleted member 48726

I took my phone SPL app inside of my crappy car and measured 60db dBA broadband noise floor with the engine idling and 70dbA at 60kph, and yet people are still worried about a "mere" SINAD of ~75dB of a car amp for some reason.
Yeah. And in house it's about 30 dBA if it's really quiet.
No reason to chase the numbers.

Palladium

If you are listening at a steady 125dB, your ears are going to be damaged before you need to worry about Sinad.

That's only 40dB above the definite risk of incurring hearing damage. :p

I also wonder how many people have hearing damage and not even know it. 70dB SPL music is in the bloody loud territory to my ears.

At one time on a commuter train I was able to hear noise coming from someone's else earbuds from 3 meters away, that's crazy.

john11

Visitors knock on my door and say to me : We knew you were at home, we could hear your music from the bottom of the street

The neighbours: I won't tell you what the neighbours say

Ziofrenko

120dB is a normal SPL on the stage for an orchestral plenum...
So if you can call hi-fi your sistem you have to reach 110dB SPL with less THD possible...
An acoustic drum set can easily go well above 120dB.
The majority of top class main monitors on studio have max SPL above 110/115dB.

D

Deleted member 48726

120dB is a normal SPL on the stage for an orchestral plenum...
So if you can call hi-fi your sistem you have to reach 110dB SPL with less THD possible...
An acoustic drum set can easily go well above 120dB.
The majority of top class main monitors on studio have max SPL above 110/115dB.
To be clear; when you talk about dB SPL you talk about dBC -right?

If you are, I agree with you. Having a system capable of high SPL and low distortion is something everyone should try. But it's not exactly the same to say you want the levels that are present on the stage. The musicians are wearing hearing protection (I hope). :)

Top Bottom