• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Ten thousands on off cycles, that is incredible. The problem is that I move the switch 6-7 times (at least) per day x 365 this makes roughly 2500 turn on off cycles per year. Four years of life of the switch if it is built according to the specs of 10000. Hm....
Consider that if you own the Topping L30 for 4 years, you'll end up paying around 9 cents per day to use it ($130 / 4 years / 365 days). If you need to buy another one after using it literally every day, switching between sources 6-7 times, for 4 years, I'd say it's probably earned the right to retire. :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does anyone have the Little Dot MK V solid mono dual mono and can compare with the L30?

I know the L30 may seem more powerful, but how do they compare to each other in sonority?

The Little Dot hasn't been measured here so no way to know.
The L30 has no 'sonority' (house sound/sound signature/tone), we know nothing of the little dot.

GeorgeWalk

I have an RPi 3 running OSMC and an RPi 4 running Volumio, but I mean something matching the Topping devices in appearance.

How about this? https://www.seeedstudio.com/DeskPi-Pro-Set-top-Box-For-Raspberry-Pi-4-p-4704.html
1602858997718.png

MechEngVic

Ten thousands on off cycles, that is incredible. The problem is that I move the switch 6-7 times (at least) per day x 365 this makes roughly 2500 turn on off cycles per year. Four years of life of the switch if it is built according to the specs of 10000. Hm....
It is a very high quality switch which is also inexpensive to buy, and replacing it is feasible with basic soldering skills. After a few years of use that doesn't sound too bad. I owned the Topping D30 for over a year, switching between modes several times a day, and it gave me no issues, never even felt like it was loosening up. It has the same switches.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
10.000 operations is the minimum it should reach, not the maximum.
It certainly won't fail directly after 10.000 operations.
But with everything in life it can (and will) fail sooner or later.

Mr:River

It is a very high quality switch which is also inexpensive to buy, and replacing it is feasible with basic soldering skills. After a few years of use that doesn't sound too bad. I owned the Topping D30 for over a year, switching between modes several times a day, and it gave me no issues, never even felt like it was loosening up. It has the same switches.

Topping D2 since 2013 is zero bullet. :)
20200102_161833.jpg

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I wonder about something. I switch between headphone and preamp at least 6-7 times per day on my L30 amp. In one year these are a lot of movements of the switch. Do you think these switches are durable enough or I should get A50S instead, because it automatically can switch to preamp when unplugging the headphones. I just worry about the longevity of the switch on L30. If you have opinion on the matter, please share it. Thanks.
One such relay costs 3-4 USD and every GSM repair shop can swap it few minutes. I wouldn't call it an issue, especially that these switches are used for volume adjust in some audio equipment (like 15-20 switches for balanced devices).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One such relay costs 3-4 USD and every GSM repair shop can swap it few minutes. I wouldn't call it an issue, especially that these switches are used for volume adjust in some audio equipment (like 15-20 switches for balanced devices).
If anything you'd worry about the headphone jack more than the toggle. The toggle switch is durable af.

Sandbo

Too bad I got JSD Atom without knowing L30 exists, just a couple weeks ago.
From the numbers alone, I am guessing I wouldn't be able to hear any differences if I make the swap?
Maybe I should rather save money for upgrading the headphone itself?

Last edited:

kkeretic

From the numbers alone, I am guessing I wouldn't be able to hear any differences if I make the swap?
May I should rather save money for upgrading the headphone itself?

Save the money for headphones (and good equalizer software or hardware). I believe all these relatively well measured amps "sound" practically the same. With a new amp you are actually buying new features and/or power (if you use or plan to use some power hungry headphones). About the sound differences according to numbers, read this thread: Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements. You can find the recap of thresholds at the bottom of the first post.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
May I should rather save money for upgrading the headphone itself?

I've had the Atom for a year or so, and am not looking for an upgrade... Great little amp. Save for phones...

Sandbo

Save the money for headphones (and good equalizer software or hardware). I believe all these relatively well measured amps "sound" practically the same. With a new amp you are actually buying new features and/or power (if you use or plan to use some power hungry headphones). About the sound differences according to numbers, read this thread: Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements. You can find the recap of thresholds at the bottom of the first post.
Thanks for the articles, I can totally believe that the difference will be minor/unnoticeable.
I should work on upgrading the headphone then.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I should work on upgrading the headphone then.
... unless the difference is minor/unnoticeable with the headphone too :p
Quite often, upgrading a headphone (when the headphone is already a good one of course) only provides minor improvements.
In that case, rather than just upgrading, you could choose to have several good headphones, each with its own sound signature and preferred music.
That sounds like more fun to me. I'm not a "only one headphone" kind of guy.
It reflects on my own cans : I prefer to have 3 or 4 sub-500 € cans, rather than only one over-1500 € can. :)

frankh

Maybe I should rather save money for upgrading the headphone itself?
I have both the Atom and L30 and I prefer the sound of the Atom paired with my favorite headphones

Azathoth

Hello, this is my very first post here. I have been lurking around ever since I found out about this website. I have read many reviews of the measurements and impressions that I have decided to do an upgrade based on what I have found primarily on this site.

And so here they are these two new beauties of mine.
meGhDOL.jpeg

Even bought Topping's own interconnects
1SV3axl.jpg

I have it replacing my ancient Fiio X3 the first generation and JDS Labs C5. It's been a long time but here we are. The difference is amazing, I can tell it has upgraded the quality of sound reproduction and feeds good power to my headphones that it is worth my money every cent of it.

I like the quality of the build as well, I can't believe this is what I'm getting for my money's worth. All metal casing, with quite a heft to it, if this was what Chi-fi was back when I started 10 years ago wouldn't have believed you. Even the knob turns so smoothly though I have to say there seems to be slight give before the volume changes, but that's it.

The L30's gain arrangement, it definitely helps with running the kinds of headphones and earphones I'll get my hands on in the future.

One problem I had with my old C5 is that it pops when you turn it off or on, none of that is here.

Overall, it is a nobrainer really, barring those with their eyes on Balanced I guess. I am happy and content with my purchase. My ATH-R70X has been given the true power it needs. I can't be any more happier.

I'd like to thank Amir for the reviews and this wonderful site, JohnYang1997 for designing this great amp and everyone on this discussion helping me learn more about this beast such that I bought it and am currently enjoying myself with it now.

Here is the very first track I played on my system

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, this is my very first post here. I have been lurking around ever since I found out about this website. I have read many reviews of the measurements and impressions that I have decided to do an upgrade based on what I have found primarily on this site.

And so here they are these two new beauties of mine.
meGhDOL.jpeg

Even bought Topping's own interconnects
1SV3axl.jpg

I have it replacing my ancient Fiio X3 the first generation and JDS Labs C5. It's been a long time but here we are. The difference is amazing, I can tell it has upgraded the quality of sound reproduction and feeds good power to my headphones that it is worth my money every cent of it.

I like the quality of the build as well, I can't believe this is what I'm getting for my money's worth. All metal casing, with quite a heft to it, if this was what Chi-fi was back when I started 10 years ago wouldn't have believed you. Even the knob turns so smoothly though I have to say there seems to be slight give before the volume changes, but that's it.

The L30's gain arrangement, it definitely helps with running the kinds of headphones and earphones I'll get my hands on in the future.

One problem I had with my old C5 is that it pops when you turn it off or on, none of that is here.

Overall, it is a nobrainer really, barring those with their eyes on Balanced I guess. I am happy and content with my purchase. My ATH-R70X has been given the true power it needs. I can't be any more happier.

I'd like to thank Amir for the reviews and this wonderful site, JohnYang1997 for designing this great amp and everyone on this discussion helping me learn more about this beast such that I bought it and am currently enjoying myself with it now.

Here is the very first track I played on my system
Running same headphones with the L30. Pure bliss!

Azathoth

Running same headphones with the L30. Pure bliss!

Great sound right? Those headphones are one of the most neutral sounding pairs I've ever had.

Running it from the C5 it seems to reduce the soundstage, and the details aren't so there. I've been listening with it at a handicap I guess.

Fluxed

Pretty new to Audio dacs/amps but have flac collection/Tidal hifi and PC+Creative X3 dac/amp(akm ak4458vn chipset)

Is it worth me going L30/E30 with ATH-MSR7B (4.4mm jack) balanced headphones ?

I was tempted with topping A90 Balanced amp to obviously benefit from the balanced connectivity, many other ATH users say the balanced amps do make a nice difference with separation to my headphones but I do wonder if its something you would notice between say the L30 or A90 or the SE vs Balanced connection ?

The other idea was perhaps get topping A90 + E30 Combo or using my X3 dac/amp

Veri

Master Contributor
Pretty new to Audio dacs/amps but have flac collection/Tidal hifi and PC+Creative X3 dac/amp(akm ak4458vn chipset)

Is it worth me going L30/E30 with ATH-MSR7B (4.4mm jack) balanced headphones ?

I was tempted with topping A90 Balanced amp to obviously benefit from the balanced connectivity, many other ATH users say the balanced amps do make a nice difference with separation to my headphones but I do wonder if its something you would notice between say the L30 or A90 or the SE vs Balanced connection ?

The other idea was perhaps get topping A90 + E30 Combo or using my X3 dac/amp
For your headphones, I would get L30+E30 combo and a 4.4 to 3.5/6.3mm adapter for use with it. Balanced separation generally should not matter audibly, it's mostly useful for dual mono amps = more power, which your headphones don't particularly need :)
PS you could also look into A50s stack which has 4.4mm output ;) but overall it'll cost you more for possibly no real benefit. Up to you.

Top Bottom