• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 randomly went to MAX volume..

Hapo

...I very much appreciate the truth in the above but if everyone thinks like this the manufacturers are in trouble...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
...I very much appreciate the truth in the above but if everyone thinks like this the manufacturers are in trouble...
Then perhaps they should design in sufficient protection from catastrophic failure and test actual real world scenarios rather than sending in something half baked that they know will top the charts and sell a few thousand units of before the failures get reported ?

I get nothing is perfect and failures happen in the best of worlds , but there are notable examples quoted on this site and even thread which suggest standards aren't what they need to be . Any such manufacturer deserves to reap the whirlwind.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Qudelix 5K have this feature where i can't increase the volume if audio is not playing.

So if I sat on it the increase will take a few seconds to build up giving me time to pull out my IEMs.

Needless to say that have saved my hearing a few times.

my MiniDSP products never showed the issue OP is talking about either. so that's a solution for Stereo people.

Trell

Major Contributor
My Qudelix 5K have this feature where i can't increase the volume if audio is not playing.

So if I sat on it the increase will take a few seconds to build up giving me time to pull out my IEMs.

Needless to say that have saved my hearing a few times.

my MiniDSP products never showed the issue OP is talking about either. so that's a solution for Stereo people.

The RME ADI-2 DAC has similar in that it'll slowly ramp up the volume when changing output (say monitor to headphone) or on power on. The DAC also remembers last volume level used. Quite handy and something more manufactures should implement.

I had this problem with a Parasound preamp I owned. The volume ramped up. It ended up being a cold solder joint on one of the ICs.

peterburke

I have a new Topping E70 and the same thing happened to me this week. Out of the blue the volume shot to max while on preamp mode. I was not touching the unit or the remote. This creates a risk to the speakers, amplifier and the ears. Hopefully it can be fixed by a firmware update. I may consider returning mine as it is only a week old.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
A firmware won't fix the possibility of the unit glitching out. This could happen with every DAC that uses a digital volume control.

Just use the DAC in fixed mode and adjust the volume with a preamp. :)

D

Deleted member 4708

A firmware won't fix the possibility of the unit glitching out. This could happen with every DAC that uses a digital volume control.

I've had Logitech (Squeezebox, Transporter), Chord, 2 or 3 Benchmark, Motu, a crappy Emotiva XDA1, OktoResearch, etc - over the past 15+ years and this is the first time I hear about such a problem...

peterburke

I've had Logitech (Squeezebox, Transporter), Chord, 2 or 3 Benchmark, Motu, a crappy Emotiva XDA1, OktoResearch, etc - over the past 15+ years and this is the first time I hear about such a problem...
The point I was trying to make was this was not a one off incident. Two of us had the same situation occur so Topping needs to either come up with a fix or tell customers not to use it as a preamp. My guess is that every single E70
has this risk and it won't be long before someone damages some expensive speakers or even worse - their ears.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Look’s like you are a electronic designer.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have a new Topping E70 and the same thing happened to me this week. Out of the blue the volume shot to max while on preamp mode. I was not touching the unit or the remote. This creates a risk to the speakers, amplifier and the ears. Hopefully it can be fixed by a firmware update. I may consider returning mine as it is only a week old.
How exactly did it happened?
After power cycling or during playback?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It's a known risk, you just haven't been aware of it. I first saw it happen with a voltage controlled amplifier gain stage in a professional tape machine more than 30 years ago. Inevitably, I couldn't reproduce it :mad:

It's only been a domestic problem since VCAs replaced potentiometers in amplifiers and more recently through people using DACs as volume controls. I ran a DAC directly into my power amp for years without a single problem, but I was aware that I was taking a risk and was nervous that I'd get bitten.

peterburke

Yes,I have arleady seen that but our friend here is just saying that it suddenly went full volume without defining if it was after turning the DAC on or during listening to it.
To answer your question, out of the blue with music playing, the volume went to full without me touching anything. I was listening to the music on floorstanding speakers and jumped out of my chair to try to turn it down. The unit was frozen in that the volume control did not work and had to be turned off. I turned it off - put it into DAC mode and stopped using it as a preamp.

Sokel

Master Contributor
To answer your question, out of the blue with music playing, the volume went to full without me touching anything. I was listening to the music on floorstanding speakers and jumped out of my chair to try to turn it down. The unit was frozen in that the volume control did not work and had to be turned off. I turned it off - put it into DAC mode and stopped using it as a preamp.
That's scary,lets hope manufacturers will pay more attention against events like that.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A frozen system happens mostly from a firmware problem. Please what is the actual firmware you are running?

Top Bottom