• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 randomly went to MAX volume..

OP
strea

strea

Yeah see my addendum above. The E70 must've switched from Pre mode to DAC mode, which should only be possible inside the Setup menu.
Understood, would that make it so the front panel touch screen becomes unresponsive though? Note my edit in previous post.

And you can only access the setup menu by holding in the knob and flipping the manual power switch on the back of the unit, which I certainly did not. I've done it before so I know how it's done.

Hapo

...can you unload the E70....???...

...there is a DAC in the computer feeding the E30 II I might be sending back...LoL...

OP
strea

strea

...can you unload the E70....???...

...there is a DAC in the computer feeding the E30 II I might be sending back...LoL...
I just bought it from Apos Audio a few days ago, it can certainly be returned.

Hapo

Well, sounds like I have no safe, reliable way to control my volume then. If I put Windows back to 90-100% then I risk the E70 going to 0db and blowing out my ears again. Quite the conundrum..
...there is a control for $9 that Amir liked...it is in the reviews...

...I would return that DAC in any case...hopefully they do not all behave that way....

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Understood, would that make it so the front panel touch screen becomes unresponsive though? Note my edit in previous post.
Hmm, can't find anything in the manual regarding locking the controls. Maybe the onboard logic just gitched out and because unresponsive.
Whatever the case, I'm in no way excusing Topping, just trying to find out what happened.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Do you have a recommendation if this happens again as I will definitely be changing DAC
I ran my DAC directly into my power amp for years, but remained scared that what you have experienced would happen. I've always adopted the approach of turning the power amp on last, to reduce the risk.

These days I use a studio monitor controller, but you mind find a cheap "passive preamp" gives you peace of mind.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what happened but all the sudden the E70 went from -30db or so to 0db. Basically blew out my ears for a few seconds and it was stuck on 0db, I couldn't even lower it. Tried spinning the volume control on the E70 for a few seconds, it was locked at 0db. Afraid to put my windows volume back to 100 now. The only thing that saved me finally was muting Windows volume.

What the hell man.. this sucks.
You were lucky that your speakers were not affected.

I use a passive volume controller between the DAC and power amplifier purely for this reason.

D

Deleted member 4708

Not sure what happened but all the sudden the E70 went from -30db or so to 0db. Basically blew out my ears for a few seconds and it was stuck on 0db, I couldn't even lower it. Tried spinning the volume control on the E70 for a few seconds, it was locked at 0db. Afraid to put my windows volume back to 100 now. The only thing that saved me finally was muting Windows volume.

What the hell man.. this sucks.
Should not be a surprise for Topping... Highly recommend by ASR. It begs the question: At what point will ASR do the right thing and stop recommending substandard quality DACs cheaply made by SMSL and Topping? There is plenty of evidence on the lack of quality. No excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
strea

strea

I ran my DAC directly into my power amp for years, but remained scared that what you have experienced would happen. I've always adopted the approach of turning the power amp on last, to reduce the risk.

These days I use a studio monitor controller, but you mind find a cheap "passive preamp" gives you peace of mind.
Of course, although this was not a fresh start up. This was mid listening session. Monitors/sub were already on, Windows volume was at 100%, and the E70 moved from -30db or so to 0db in a split second and was uncontrollable thereafter.

OP
strea

strea

You were lucky that your speakers were not affected.

I use a passive volume controller between the DAC and power amplifier purely for this reason.
Yes, I was advised to set monitors to their least sensitive (+6db) input sens, whereas previously I had them at -4db. This probably saved me and the monitors a bit.

Anthony T

Power amplifiers switched on last and turned off first, prevents damage to Passive speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Power amplifiers switched on last and turned off first, prevents damage to Passive speakers.
How would that have helped what OP have experienced?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
...methinks this thread should get linked to the E 30II thread...
I do not agree with that.

E30II is a different DAC. It also has no rotary knob. Furthermore, one should limit oneself to reports that very clearly state what kind of problem actually occurred under what boundary conditions. First-hand reports, not stories and opinions.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The broken record with the tenths of post about this is probably me.
And no,it's not brand related only (even if Topping is a usual suspect).

ANY digital implemented volume control has the potential to "forget" it's settings,all it takes is a glitch,a BSOD,etc.
Yes,it's rare but it happens and the more we use it the more are the chances.
There's no way in this world I would connect something like this staight to a power amp,my ears are useful to me,don't want to be blown.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The broken record with the tenths of post about this is probably me.
And no,it's not brand related only (even if Topping is a usual suspect).

ANY digital implemented volume control has the potential to "forget" it's settings,all it takes is a glitch,a BSOD,etc.
Yes,it's rare but it happens and the more we use it the more are the chances.
There's no way in this world I would connect something like this staight to a power amp,my ears are useful to me,don't want to be blown.
But what is different to a modern AVP/AVR with no physical volume pot?

Sokel

Master Contributor
But what is different to a modern AVP/AVR with no physical volume pot?
I really have no idea,I don't own an AVR,never cheched how their VC is implemented.
I suppose there must been a series of protections to prevent such,I can't imagine that they would want to deal with an angry costumer which a glitch burned 10-12-xx speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really have no idea,I don't own an AVR,never cheched how their VC is implemented.
I suppose there must been a series of protections to prevent such,I can't imagine that they would want to deal with an angry costumer which a glitch burned 10-12-xx speakers.
I was only pointing to your comment: “ANY digital implemented volume control has the potential to "forget" its settings,all it takes is a glitch,a BSOD,etc.” We never hear this problem on an AVR. I don’t think that is because their manufacturers write good software. Unfortunately, Topping and others don’t.

threni

Major Contributor
Should not be a surprise for Topping... Highly recommend by ASR. It begs the question: At what point will ASR do the right thing and stop recommending substandard quality DACs cheaply made by SMSL and Topping? There is plenty of evidence on the lack of quality. No excuse.
The recommendations are at the end of - and clearly referring to - the measurements and subjective listening experience they follow. Are you saying Amir should look out for threads such as this - a one-off, unrepeatable claim of something which had the potential to cause some damage, and go back and put a large warning in the review? Or that he should no longer give positive reviews of any hardware from an ever-growing list of manufacturers where there have been claims (how many? any evidence required) in the past for other products?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I was only pointing to your comment: “ANY digital implemented volume control has the potential to "forget" its settings,all it takes is a glitch,a BSOD,etc.” We never hear this problem on an AVR. I don’t think that is because their manufacturers write good software. Unfortunately, Topping and others don’t.
The difference is that my comment refers to me,"I" wouldn't do it.
To a product like an AVR this is done by the company (connect whatever straight to power amp,IF they do) and it's their responsibility,not mine.If fails they must be responsible for the consequences,it's as simple as that.

Last edited:

Anthony T

How would that have helped what OP have experienced?
In response to the post above, I quoted him, not the OP.. As he mentioned his procedure I thought I’d chime in with mine.
Am I only allowed to respond to the OP in every thread? Was it so far off-topic you needed to query the exchange?

Top Bottom