• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 79.7%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can see the explanation/spectrum of the j-test signal here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...derstanding-digital-audio-measurements.10523/
The spikes on the left at 250 Hz are what are showing up there. They are toggling the rightmost bit of a 24 bit audio sample at that rate.
Sorry I did not make myself clear enough.
...show that I/O square-wave in a real-time scope view?
I was looking for the output's square-wave (re: input) as similarly shown in your referenced link Fig.17:
202209_SquareWaveRealTime.jpg

Cheers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was looking for the output's square-wave (re: input) as similarly shown in your referenced link Fig.17:
It is the rightmost bit of 24 bit PCM. It is toggling from -138 dB to -144 dB. This in turn is embedded into the much higher amplitude squarewave running at 12 kHz. I guess I could find a way to zoom in to show it but best to look at the actual PCM values in the link I provided.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I've heard of fake watches, orgasms and memory cards, but what on earth is a 'fake' balanced?:oops:
Balanced output without additional amplifier stages. Meaning that the balance connector is just there for convenience and not there because it provides more power in a true balanced format.

Bel Canto

I'm trying to understand why anyone on this site would want to buy this all in one for $700.

Apparently measurements are everything so why would you buy this over the DX3pro+. They measure within a few percent of each other with the differences out of the audible range, so should therefore be transparent so why would they sound different.

What do you get for the extra $500 other than an extra input and a balanced dac output?

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems like a really basic question but I haven't seen a ton of people discussing this use case. Is the 4V output considered enough to drive a power amp (specifically a EVAL-1?)

If so, anyone want to buy my D90/A90 stack? :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to understand why anyone on this site would want to buy this all in one for $700.

Apparently measurements are everything so why would you buy this over the DX3pro+. They measure within a few percent of each other with the differences out of the audible range, so should therefore be transparent so why would they sound different.

What do you get for the extra $500 other than an extra input and a balanced dac output?
That's a good question, especially if the power levels and connectivity features are the same (which I've not checked) - although now when I read your last sentence I can see there are some feature differences but probably not worth the price difference. If differences just come down to SINAD differences, then in reality there probably wouldn't be much actual benefit from buying the more expensive higher SINAD one. Some people like to get the highest SINAD "just to be sure", but in reality probably no difference. The two extra features you mention aren't really worth $500, but they might be to some people & when combined with "just to be sure" re highest possible SINAD.

I voted this DAC/amp as "Great" though in the poll - which it is for the measurements without being totally over the top with pricing (unlike Chord products for instance, ha!). So I didn't mark it down for pricing as it wasn't in the ridiculous zone for pricing!

digicidal

Major Contributor
Oh sure... now they release one with integrated 12v triggers... :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to figure out an utterly irrational reason to justify another DAC purchase with only .05% better performance than my current ones. I could say my cat detected some minor distortion in the 23kHz range - but she's 20 years old and completely deaf at this point.

okok

this is overpriced, $499 would be more suitable.

for the 0.01% buddies: why you even buy standalone DACs, the one in the mobo is pretty good these days, some even got es9018/38q2m on the board (yes)

again, this is overpriced

GeekyBastard

this is overpriced, $499 would be more suitable.

for the 0.01% buddies: why you even buy standalone DACs, the one in the mobo is pretty good these days, some even got es9018/38q2m on the board (yes)

I don't see why would a state-of-the-art performance device be “overpriced” at merely $699, many thousands of dollars of equipments were not as good as this.

Jimster480

Major Contributor

I do understand where you are coming from. I had the original DX7 for $250. It was a real bargain. the DX7 Pro ended up costing $400 a year and something later after topping wasn't known brand. But 700 is a whole new price point as the dx5 actually cost more than the DX7 originally did.
The dx3 pro is really hard to beat in almost every single scenario.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I don't see why would a state-of-the-art performance device be “overpriced” at merely $699, many thousands of dollars of equipments were not as good as this.
Well just because other products from the same company have the same level of performance or even better performance for the same money. Sure this has the best DAC performance now; but the amp can't use it (a classic DX7 thing going back to gen 1).
However the DX5 and Ex5 provide the same type of performance and both have MQA (a detriment for some and a boon for others) and both are much cheaper with the Ex5 coming in at half the price...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

It is totally overpriced. Who are they trying to kid? Maybe $299 is fair.

Spend just $200 more and get a 185wpc (tested at 4R) a tier one brand Yamaha amplifier with a heap of inputs, full remote, two pairs of speakers, headphone, a phono stage and including inbuilt USB Dac of good quality.

1662192701353.png

I know which one I would buy if I was in the market...

MCH

Major Contributor
That's the problem of topping with their desktop products. They try to cover the budget market and the next trier up, that is fair. But as their products have almost not other functionality than the basic ones, people logically start to make comparisons with the cheaper toppings that are maybe too good and wonder why would they pay 300 or 400 more for a very similar device... Strange enough they don't even try design them differently, they all look similar in the same family.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
123 SINAD is impressive agreed in every single area.
But do you realize that it contains two modes with 40-ish SINAD that will maybe surprise you in some ways?
It will sure be audible.

Isn't that canceling the whole race in terms of real use since is a kind of declaration that even 40 SINAD can be enjoyable?
I mean if these modes were unlistenable they wouldn't include them,they are not crazy.
A bit of enjoyable irony...

Drengur

Forum Donor
My aeon noire are getting about 2W and it’s not enough at all. I have to crank up my Topping A30 Pro to 3PM on some tracks.
The Stealth and Hifiman susvara need even more power than that.
I have the Æon Noire, Driving it with the E30/L30, I am scared driving them above 12 o'clock with it set at 0dB. I am not afraid they can't handle it, I am not sure my ears can handle more...?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It is totally overpriced. Who are they trying to kid? Maybe $299 is fair.

Spend just $200 more and get a 185wpc (tested at 4R) a tier one brand Yamaha amplifier with a heap of inputs, full remote, two pairs of speakers, headphone, a phono stage and including inbuilt USB Dac of good quality.

View attachment 228369

I know which one I would buy if I was in the market...
I'm not sure how you can say the two products are comparable. Has this Yamaha even been tested here? This is huge and cannot be used on a desk for headphone's seriously.
I have the Æon Noire, Driving it with the E30/L30, I am scared driving them above 12 o'clock with it set at 0dB. I am not afraid they can't handle it, I am not sure my ears can handle more...?
Are you adverse to bass? What are you listening to? I find that the volume position varies based on the type of music. High frequencies need very little power, bass needs lots of power.

Top Bottom