• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M/HIFIMAN EF400/Topping DX7 Pro+for T5 3rd?

xixihaha

Hi, I'm quite new to hi-fi. I recently got my Beyerdynamic T5 3rd as my first hi-fi headset and am now looking for a DAC & AMP for its connection to my PC.

I'm in Australia, and after searching the market, I found the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M, HIFIMAN EF400, and Topping DX7 Pro+. It's really hard to pick one.

I understand that the T5 is a 32-ohm headset, which is easy to drive, but I may purchase higher-ohm headphones in the future, such as the Sennheiser HD 6XX. Additionally, I only use my PC as the audio source, not a CD player. I have a Dragonfly Cobalt for my mobile music, and it works very well, by the way.

Please give me some suggestions for a desktop DAC & AMP combination. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @xixihaha! Welcome to ASR.

Hi, I'm quite new to hi-fi. I recently got my Beyerdynamic T5 3rd as my first hi-fi headset
I do not want to offend. But the T5 3rd is about as far away from hi-fi as you can get:
Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 22.21.54.png
Just look at that rollercoaster of a response (the red line).
You will need a lot of EQ to make that headphone faithful to the original recording.

I understand that the T5 is a 32-ohm headset, which is easy to drive, but I may purchase higher-ohm headphones in the future
The impedance alone does not make a headphone easy or hard to drive.

There are easy to drive low impedance headphones (K371) and easy to drive high impedacne headphones (HD660s).

There are also hard to drive low impedance headphones (Aeon RT) and hard to drive high impedance heapdhones (Tungsten).

It is the combination of a headphone's impedance and its sensitivity that determines how hard it is to drive.

Please give me some suggestions for a desktop DAC & AMP combination.
I would recommend you start with a Topping E30II + L30II, or a JDS Atom 2 DAC + Atom Amp 2 (whichever is cheaper).

Both of them have enough power for the vast majority of hi-fi headphones out there.

OP
X

xixihaha

Hi @xixihaha! Welcome to ASR.

I do not want to offend. But the T5 3rd is about as far away from hi-fi as you can get:
View attachment 355997
Just look at that rollercoaster of a response (the red line).
You will need a lot of EQ to make that headphone faithful to the original recording.

The impedance alone does not make a headphone easy or hard to drive.

There are easy to drive low impedance headphones (K371) and easy to drive high impedacne headphones (HD660s).

There are also hard to drive low impedance headphones (Aeon RT) and hard to drive high impedance heapdhones (Tungsten).

It is the combination of a headphone's impedance and its sensitivity that determines how hard it is to drive.

I would recommend you start with a Topping E30II + L30II, or a JDS Atom 2 DAC + Atom Amp 2 (whichever is cheaper).

Both of them have enough power for the vast majority of hi-fi headphones out there.
Thank you for your reply! That's why I want to try different headsets. So, do you recommend separated DAC and AMP over the combination one?

I was thinking that a 2-in-1 option saves space.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Research the data base on this site for quality and affordable DAC/Head Phone amps. There are a lot of them reviewed and many are stellar performers, including a number of topping units. If you have no need for an analog input, the list gets even larger.

Question No. 1: Do you want or need a remote control?
Question No. 2: Do you need a line out to someday feed a home stereo amplifier and speakers?

If the answer to both the above is a no, then you really have a lot of great choices.

OP
X

xixihaha

Research the data base on this site for quality and affordable DAC/Head Phone amps. There are a lot of them reviewed and many are stellar performers, including a number of topping units. If you have no need for an analog input, the list gets even larger.

Question No. 1: Do you want or need a remote control?
Question No. 2: Do you need a line out to someday feed a home stereo amplifier and speakers?

If the answer to both the above is a no, then you really have a lot of great choices.
I would say no to both questions. They will only sit on my desk next to my computer. I guess it will be another story and a much higher cost will be needed one day if I want to set up a home stereo system. Yes, there are too many options, even under one brand.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping DX5 would be a very good starting point for an all in one. The dual unit stacks listed above would do the job as well. As would a Soncoz stack.
1710284532069.png

boswell

If you want to avoid the inconvenience of having to deal with connecting RCA cables, power adapters (and power board) then a combo unit with a built in power supply would be preferable such as the DX5 (~700 AUD) there is a DX5 lite (~550AUD), DAC Magic(DAC only?? ~1100AUD), HIFIman (~1000AUD)
Audio stuff prices in Australia are outrageous.
As for a home stereo any reasonable DAC/HP amp combo will be more than adequate if the HP amp can be a pre-amp (most are)
active speakers or a power amp and passive speakers are all that's then required (and cables, cant be avoided, not expensive)
a remotely(app on phone) controlled streamer can free up the pc
lots of options, good sound not expensive sound is the aim

OP
X

xixihaha

If you want to avoid the inconvenience of having to deal with connecting RCA cables, power adapters (and power board) then a combo unit with a built in power supply would be preferable such as the DX5 (~700 AUD) there is a DX5 lite (~550AUD), DAC Magic(DAC only?? ~1100AUD), HIFIman (~1000AUD)
Audio stuff prices in Australia are outrageous.
As for a home stereo any reasonable DAC/HP amp combo will be more than adequate if the HP amp can be a pre-amp (most are)
active speakers or a power amp and passive speakers are all that's then required (and cables, cant be avoided, not expensive)
a remotely(app on phone) controlled streamer can free up the pc
lots of options, good sound not expensive sound is the aim

Yes, that's a good point. I prefer something easy, just plug in via USB and get music output through 3.5mm/6.3mm. I don't want to spend too much on cables either. I already have a desktop speaker, the Audioengine A2+, which has a built-in DAC. So, it's fine whether or not this speaker connect the DAC & AMP.

OP
X

xixihaha

I went to an audio shop and tried ifi Zen DAC V2, JDS Labs element III and Hifiman EF400. I'm quite happy with Zen DAC V2. I guess this will be a good start for me to begin my new music experience.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That's a nice little setup. Well chosen!

Top Bottom