• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

FLCEOAP

Hello,
I'm a real "noob" and english is not my native language so bear with me, please.

If I understand well, both line inputs are not the same for the DX5:
  • USB-B: up to 32-bit
  • optical in: up to 24-bit
Currently, on my PC, I have only a digital output (TOSlink) and audio jacks from the motherboard. So, what's the best way to take advantage of the USB-B? Should I buy a soundcard? Do you have some suggestions?

Moreover, I think I misunderstand an answer from staticV3 and I would like to have some precisions, please.

Blackfyre said:
I could have just purchased RCA to RCA and connected the powered speakers. But heck, I thought might as well use the balanced XLR output at the back (seeing its great results in the review) and purchased 3-pin XLR to RCA for connecting the speakers. Would this cause any issues? Or should be fine, just like RCA to RCA? For reference, I purchased the following XLR to RCA cables:
staticV3 said:
Please don't use those cables with the DX5 Lite.
They short Signal- to GND, which can potentially damage the DAC.
If your speakers only have single-ended RCA inputs, then please use the corresponding single-ended outputs of your DAC.
--> is there a risk if the monitors also have XLR inputs?

I plan to have:
motherboard (TOSLink) > (TOSLink) Topping DX5 Lite (XLR outputs) > (XLR input) monitor.

Thank you in advance for your help (and also for all the detailed reviews!)

staticV3

Master Contributor
If I understand well, both line inputs are not the same for the DX5:
  • USB-B: up to 32-bit
  • optical in: up to 24-bit
Not super important, but "Line input" always refers to an Analog input. Whereas USB and Optical are both Digital. "Line" is not the right name here.

Currently, on my PC, I have only a digital output (TOSlink) and audio jacks from the motherboard. So, what's the best way to take advantage of the USB-B? Should I buy a soundcard? Do you have some suggestions?
Don't buy a soundcard. Just plug the DX5 into your motherboard with a USB cable.

--> is there a risk if the monitors also have XLR inputs?
No. If your monitors have XLR inputs, then you can safely use the DX5's XLR output.

I plan to have:
motherboard (TOSLink) > (TOSLink) Topping DX5 Lite (XLR outputs) > (XLR input) monitor.
That would work. As would Motherboard->USB->DX5->XLR->Monitors

FLCEOAP

Not super important, but "Line input" always refers to an Analog input. Whereas USB and Optical are both Digital. "Line" is not the right name here.

Don't buy a soundcard. Just plug the DX5 into your motherboard with a USB cable.

No. If your monitors have XLR inputs, then you can safely use the DX5's XLR output.

That would work. As would Motherboard->USB->DX5->XLR->Monitors

Thank you! I'm glad to know I don't need to spend more money for the PC :)

The motherboard is an "Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero". I don't know which port I should use as output to feed the USB-B port?
  • Is there a cable allowing to use one of the USB port (USB 3.2 gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type A, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C)...?
    • then, I don't know how to send the audio stream to one of this USB port with Windows 10: maybe it will automatically detect the DX5?
  • ... or the S/PDIF port?
  • ... or a cable RCA->USB-B?

I feel lost with just these few ports: it's worrying.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The motherboard is an "Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero". I don't know which port I should use as output to feed the USB-B port?
All of these will work:
h732.png

Is there a cable allowing to use one of the USB port (USB 3.2 gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type A, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C)...?
Search for "Printer cable" in case you want to use one of the motherboard's Type-A ports. They look like this:
PT.01_d536689b-9488-4e5a-9630-3f20c96e2131.png

Search for "Type C Printer Cable" in case you want to use the motherboard's Type-C port. They look like this:
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uY3MuMXdvcmxkc3luYy5jb20vN2QvMmQvN2QyZGNiOTQtMDkzMi00YzE2LWFhODktNjY1YzA1Y2Y0N...jpeg

then, I don't know how to send the audio stream to one of this USB port with Windows 10: maybe it will automatically detect the DX5?
Once you plug in the DAC, your PC will automatically recognize it as Audio output. From there, you just select it in the Audio settings.

FLCEOAP

It's perfect, thank you again!
I don't know why I was perfectly sure it was mandatory to use one of the I/O output connections.

I can't wait to put it all together and enjoy! :)

iconoclast

Has anyone experienced audio dropouts when connected via Toslink? I have these about 1-2 times per minute connected to an LG OLED55B7 tv. I didn't have this problem with the previous DAC connected to the tv with the same Toslink cable.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Has anyone experienced audio dropouts when connected via Toslink? I have these about 1-2 times per minute connected to an LG OLED55B7 tv. I didn't have this problem with the previous DAC connected to the tv with the same Toslink cable.
That's a veeery common issue with LG OLED TVs. Tons of jitter on the Toslink output which overwhelms many DACs' DPLL circuit.
The solution would be a DAC with a known tolerant S/PDIF input, or one with adjustable DPLL.

FLCEOAP

Hello!
I have a new question and... I'm pretty sure I will need to buy something new.

The system so far is:
  • a PC
  • the DAC DX5 (lite)
  • two Neumann KH120 II
  • one Neumann KH750
  • and... a Neumann MA1

And so I'm stuck using the MA1: It seems that I don't have any way to use the sound recorded by the MA1.
Is it enough to use one of this cable? https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...G/dp/B001UNIT9A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3ACB6ZB6RN115

I'm at lost because I did some research:

Thank you again for your help!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!
I have a new question and... I'm pretty sure I will need to buy something new.

The system so far is:
  • a PC
  • the DAC DX5 (lite)
  • two Neumann KH120 II
  • one Neumann KH750
  • and... a Neumann MA1

And so I'm stuck using the MA1: It seems that I don't have any way to use the sound recorded by the MA1.
Is it enough to use one of this cable? https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...G/dp/B001UNIT9A/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3ACB6ZB6RN115

I'm at lost because I did some research:

Thank you again for your help!

Yes, you need an Audio Interface to power the microphone and convert the analogue signal generated by it into a digital one for input into your PC (via USB connection). Something like the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 would be suitable...

These are £55 in the UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UMC22-Computer-Audio-Interface/dp/B00FFIGZF6

I couldn't see one on Amazon.com, not sure why.

iconoclast

That's a veeery common issue with LG OLED TVs. Tons of jitter on the Toslink output which overwhelms many DACs' DPLL circuit.
The solution would be a DAC with a known tolerant S/PDIF input, or one with adjustable DPLL.
Solved it with an SMSL D-6. Thanks for the pointer.

Blackfyre

Received the Topping DX5 and the difference to the SoundBlaster Z computer soundcard was quite noticeable with my Focal Clear, as expected.

Question regarding High vs Low gain. My Focal Clear get loud enough for me on Low Gain, so is there any advantage or disadvantage to using High Gain? For example, does one produce cleaner sound than the other at equal volumes? (Like Low on -3 dB vs High on -17dB at around equal volume).

EDIT: Also have the device set to 32Bit 96kHz, any advantage/disadvantage to going lower/higher?

1691918109890.png

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Received the Topping DX5 and the difference to the SoundBlaster Z computer soundcard was quite noticeable with my Focal Clear, as expected.

Question regarding High vs Low gain. My Focal Clear get loud enough for me on Low Gain, so is there any advantage or disadvantage to using High Gain? For example, does one produce cleaner sound than the other at equal volumes? (Like Low on -3 dB vs High on -17dB at around equal volume).

EDIT: Also have the device set to 32Bit 96kHz, any advantage/disadvantage to going lower/higher?

View attachment 305508
Technically low gain should have a lower noise floor so "better"- highly unlikely that would be audible though. Just means you can use more of the volume dial.

As for resampling- I would set that to either the most common bit depth/ sample rate your content is OR the highest rate that your content is. Again, I doubt it matters for real world listening.

veldt

I recently got this DAC/AMP combo and also bought a pair of good headphones. The difference in sound vs. my old Logitech headset is ridonculous!

Now I wish to connect a pair of speakers as well (KRK Rokit5) and i wonder which plugs to use. Both the topping and my speaker have XLR inputs so I'm thinking to buy two XLR>XLR cables but everywhere I look it says "microphone cable". Do this still work if I use them between my topping and speaker? Thanks alot!

See pictures below, would that works just fine?
1691926137152.png

1691926206041.png

1691926308138.png

1691926324165.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
Now I wish to connect a pair of speakers as well (KRK Rokit5) and i wonder which plugs to use. Both the topping and my speaker have XLR inputs so I'm thinking to buy two XLR>XLR cables but everywhere I look it says "microphone cable". Do this still work if I use them between my topping and speaker?
Yes, definitely!

See pictures below, would that works just fine?
Yup, that would work fine. In fact, it would be the best way to connect them.

sid_marks90

So here is my issue, just got the dx5 lite and I haven't figured out to get both ears to work on the front balanced XLR to audeze LCD-X. there are no driver updates for mac catalina. I tried a few settings. I have tried hooking up the single wire to each cup whatever one its hooked up and it works on. but dont really think new xlr cables will work. my TRS works perfectly and may have to just settle for that working but I kinda wanted to use the xlr output. Did you guys figure out the fix for this issue.

staticV3

Master Contributor
just got the dx5 lite and I haven't figured out to get both ears to work on the front balanced XLR to audeze LCD-X.
I have tried hooking up the single wire to each cup whatever one its hooked up and it works on.
Did you guys figure out the fix for this issue.
Sounds like a cable issue tbh.

HDavidson

What are the three digital filters?
1/ linear filter mode
2/...?
3/...?

PS
F-1 (fast) linear phase
F-2 (slow) linear phase.
F-3 is the minimum phase.

Last edited:

41nd

Ok, so by default the original DX5 (mqa) comes with FIR 3. Which should be best for listening ?

Top Bottom