• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quick measurements of Behringer UMC22

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had this little interface for many years and it's been a champ. It currently sells for about $56 and I use it for room response measurements and other tasks involving a microphone. The unit is USB-powered and provides 48v phantom power to the mic, as well as instrument input, headphone out and two line outputs.
1573618566734.png

Measured using the trusty and well-performing Element24 interface. UMC22 only supports 48kHz at 16 bits, so that's what I measured.

First, the DAC portion fed with 1kHz signal. I couldn't get 0dBFS out of it. -3.2dBFS produced 400mV at the output. THD+N of -83.5dB and an elevated noise floor below 100Hz. This didn't seem to be mains frequency related, so I'm not sure what caused it:

1k-DAC.png

Multi-tone test (remember, this is still with 16-bit data). Some non-linearity in the peak level observed, these should normally all line up at the same level:

multi-tone-DAC.png

Frequency response looks pretty flat in the audible range, but phase isn't quite so nice:
FR-DAC.png

I then repeated the same set of tests with the ADC portion of the interface.

1kHz with input of 265mV at the microphone input, anything greater resulted in clipping:
1k.png

Multi-tone test:

multi-tone.png

Frequency response and phase for the ADC:
FR-ADC.png

And here's what a 1kHz square wave looks like through the ADC:

square-1k-adc.png

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Nice, I checked out this one when I got my UMC202HD and decided that the newer USB interface was worth paying for... Also there were no measurements of this unit before. But based on Amir's test today; this unit looks to perform somewhat close to the UMC204 and probably also the 202 then too.

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone know what I am supposed to see with the ADC Square Wave result?

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know what I am supposed to see with the ADC Square Wave result?

Pretty much what I posted. Some devices distort the square wave beyond the Gibbs phenomena, such as making the wave asymmetric or having larger than expected rise/fall at the edges, etc. The one I posted looks like a normal, band-limited square wave should.

ofrappier

Hi,

The 1 KHZ was generated by REW ? at 16 bits at 24 bits ? or with other hardware/software ?

I use 1 Khz file .wav at 32 bits depth, and not 16 bits .wav to have a clean 1000 Hz

:)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

The 1 KHZ was generated by REW ? at 16 bits at 24 bits ? or with other hardware/software ?

I use 1 Khz file .wav at 32 bits depth, and not 16 bits .wav to have a clean 1000 Hz

:)

24 bits generated by REW, 24 bits used by Element24 to convert to analog, but UMC22 is only a 16 bit device.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
There's something wrong with the multitone measurements. Either a window choice or something interrupting the test signal during acquisition.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's something wrong with the multitone measurements. Either a window choice or something interrupting the test signal during acquisition.

REW switches the window to Rectangular automatically when doing multi-tone. I can try forcing it to use something else :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Aha! Yes, you don't want to use a rectangular window for that. No idea why the software would make you do this- it's certainly not the case for ARTA, Virtins, or APx software I generally use.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
That time-domain discontinuity is what causes the skirts.
Sorry I removed the comment I don't have a time domain discontinuity the way I do multi-tones and I don't use any of the usual packages these days.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Now you're making me look like I'm drunk-posting. :D

JohnPM

Technical Expert
Aha! Yes, you don't want to use a rectangular window for that. No idea why the software would make you do this- it's certainly not the case for ARTA, Virtins, or APx software I generally use.
Because the generated tones are all periodic within the FFT length.

Top Bottom