• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Per Amir wrote on his graphs: "Connection is XLR input and unbalanced 1/4 headphone out unless said otherwise".

KTN46

Per Amir wrote on his graphs: "Connection is XLR input and unbalanced 1/4 headphone out unless said otherwise".

Sorry I am an egg, I meant to say SE input, as my DAC's balanced outputs are currently going to another amp.

Mikechw

Sorry I am an egg, I meant to say SE input, as my DAC's balanced outputs are currently going to another amp.
To my experience, I used to connect my D90's balanced out to A90's balanced in..
Later I switched and use D90's SE out to A90's SE in.. and prefered it that way.. The volume is lower, but personally I think it sound better.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Besides the input stage, the rest of the circuit remains the same. That means that harmonic profile shouldn't get changed. As for the THD+N, probably it will go 0.x dB lower due to the fact that max. input voltage will need to be lowered, from 4V to 2V. You may ask Wolf to do a SE-SE measurement, as I couldn't find it in his thread.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might try a DAC => XLR => A90 => XLR => your other amp - or if the other AMP has XLR Pre output use that one as the pass-through to the A90 XLR input. :)

I'm currently running my D90 MQA into an Xduoo TA-20 hybrid Tube/SS headphone amp using the D90 MQA XLR output, but I've ordered another set of XLR's to change the configuration to D90 MQA => XLR => A90 => XLR => TA-20

Right now the A90 is sitting idle, and it would be nice to be able to A/B test the output of the TA-20 vs A90. I am also looking for an XLR switch to switch D90 MQA XLR output between the inputs of the A90 and TA-20 - probably a better comparison.

Last edited:

auronthas

You might try a DAC => XLR => A90 => XLR => your other amp - or if the other AMP has XLR Pre output use that one as the pass-through to the A90 XLR input. :)

Is A90 a good pre-amplifier to "clean" the noise before amplified ?

My current setup
D90 MQA => XLR => A90 => XLR => Krell KAV-400xi => speakers

D90, i set to PRE mode with -3.0 dB, A90 toggle to Pre-Amp, high gain, volume pot at 12 o'clock .

What's your alternative setting and recommendation?

hmscott

Is A90 a good pre-amplifier to "clean" the noise before amplified ?

My current setup
D90 MQA => XLR => A90 => XLR => Krell KAV-400xi => speakers

D90, i set to PRE mode with -3.0 dB, A90 toggle to Pre-Amp, high gain, volume pot at 12 o'clock .

What's your alternative setting and recommendation?
The A90 won't "clean" the noise - it doesn't do any such filtering - it like any element in the audio chain will add it's own coloration and noise and pass it on to the next device in the audio chain, but both added noise and coloration should be inaudible coming from the A90 :)
Right now the D90 MQA is feeding directly the new (to me) xDuoo TA-20 Tube / SS Hybrid Headphone AMP - replacing the A90's role in my set up. I'm enjoying the "tube sound" and I am rolling tubes and comparing their effect on what I hear in my IEM's and Headphones exclusively, I'm not comparing the TA-20 sound to the A90.

I'd like to do that comparison later - I'm still rolling tubes in the TA-20 - so when I am ready I'll want to A/B test the TA-20 vs A90 and to do that I'll need to feed the D90 MQA to both the TA-20 and A90, either with a splitter or switch, but probably first I'll pass through the audio from the D90 MQA to the A90 and then on to the TA-20, assuming the A90 has no coloration of the audio it should be just like what the D90 MQA is passing now to the TA-20.

That will be an interesting listen, and then I'll try A/B testing with the source directly to the TA-20 and A90 at the same time, without the coloration of passing through the A90.

Right now the main discovery I've heard first hand - always nice to learn things first hand - is that my Sennheiser HD598cs has greatly improved being driven by the TA-20 Tube / SS Hybrid Headphone AMP, it has opened up it's sound stage and tone from what I usually consider a "boring" sound into a very engaging presentation.

Of course, I've heard of the "tube effect" on the top-end Sennheiser headphones, like the HD800, HD800s, HD700, but I'd not thought about that effect occurring in Sennheiser's yeoman mid-range headphones, like the HD598cs.

I'm listening to a new Release => "Reprise Rarities (Vol. 1) by Frank Sinatra" right now, and it's grand. My 598cs gets a turn often, but didn't last long each time as it has been a bit of a "yawn" on SS AMP's, but now it is all I want to listen through to my tunes on the TA-20. :)

Reprise Rarities (Vol. 1) by Frank Sinatra on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B08PNRS7SJ?ref=dm_sh_d9d5-d7bc-5132-45ad-55780

Reprise Rarities (Vol. 1) by Frank Sinatra on Tidal
https://tidal.com/browse/album/164850542

So I ordered a Sennheiser HD650 to see how that sounds on the TA-20, with the JJ Electronic ECC802S matched gain pair that arrived and lit up the HD598cs. Perhaps I'll need some other Sennheiser headphones now, I wasn't so interested before, but now I'm very interested in trying them out on the TA-20. :)

BTW, all the other IEM's and Headphones improved their presentation with the TA-20, but the Sennheiser is the only one that really changed it's character so dramatically in it's presentation on the TA-20.
Do you have "noise" you'd like to filter out? Or are you referring to the "noise" I heard in the A90 due to ground loops until I reduced it with shielded cables and other improvements?

The A90 can take the full D90 MQA output on XLR (or RCA), so I'd try running the D90 MQA in DAC mode straight through without attenuating its output. It would be a small increase in D90 MQA output, and so you may want to drop the "volume pot" on the A90 a bit from "12 o'clock" feeding the Krell. It's worth a try.

Which device are you using to adjust the volume? As you described the D90 MQA and A90 settings, those are "fixed" settings...

Last edited:

auronthas

The A90 won't "clean" the noise - it doesn't do any such filtering - it like any element in the audio chain will add it's own coloration and noise and pass it on to the next device in the audio chain, but both added noise and coloration should be inaudible coming from the A90 :)
Right now the D90 MQA is feeding directly the new (to me) xDuoo TA-20 Tube / SS Hybrid Headphone AMP - replacing the A90's role in my set up. I'm enjoying the "tube sound" and I am rolling tubes and comparing their effect on what I hear in my IEM's and Headphones exclusively, I'm not comparing the TA-20 sound to the A90.

I'd like to do that comparison later - I'm still rolling tubes in the TA-20 - so when I am ready I'll want to A/B test the TA-20 vs A90 and to do that I'll need to feed the D90 MQA to both the TA-20 and A90, either with a splitter or switch, but probably first I'll pass through the audio from the D90 MQA to the A90 and then on to the TA-20, assuming the A90 has no coloration of the audio it should be just like what the D90 MQA is passing now to the TA-20.

That will be an interesting listen, and then I'll try A/B testing with the source directly to the TA-20 and A90 at the same time, without the coloration of passing through the A90.

Right now the main discovery I've heard first hand - always nice to learn things first hand - is that my Sennheiser HD598cs has greatly improved being driven by the TA-20 Tube / SS Hybrid Headphone AMP, it has opened up it's sound stage and tone from what I usually consider a "boring" sound into a very engaging presentation.

Of course, I've heard of the "tube effect" on the top-end Sennheiser headphones, like the HD800, HD800s, HD700, but I'd not thought about that effect occurring in Sennheiser's yeoman mid-range headphones, like the HD598cs.

I'm listening to a new Release => "Reprise Rarities (Vol. 1) by Frank Sinatra" right now, and it's grand. My 598cs gets a turn often, but didn't last long each time as it has been a bit of a "yawn" on SS AMP's, but now it is all I want to listen through to my tunes on the TA-20. :)

Reprise Rarities (Vol. 1) by Frank Sinatra on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B08PNRS7SJ?ref=dm_sh_d9d5-d7bc-5132-45ad-55780

Reprise Rarities (Vol. 1) by Frank Sinatra on Tidal
https://tidal.com/browse/album/164850542

So I ordered a Sennheiser HD650 to see how that sounds on the TA-20, with the JJ Electronic ECC802S matched gain pair that arrived and lit up the HD598cs. Perhaps I'll need some other Sennheiser headphones now, I wasn't so interested before, but now I'm very interested in trying them out on the TA-20. :)

BTW, all the other IEM's and Headphones improved their presentation with the TA-20, but the Sennheiser is the only one that really changed it's character so dramatically in it's presentation on the TA-20.
Do you have "noise" you'd like to filter out? Or are you referring to the "noise" I heard in the A90 due to ground loops until I reduced it with shielded cables and other improvements?

The A90 can take the full D90 MQA output on XLR (or RCA), so I'd try running the D90 MQA in DAC mode straight through without attenuating its output. It would be a small increase in D90 MQA output, and so you may want to drop the "volume pot" on the A90 a bit from "12 o'clock" feeding the Krell. It's worth a try.

Which device are you using to adjust the volume? As you described the D90 MQA and A90 settings, those are "fixed" settings...

The noise from my digital source (Aries Mini) or D90 MQA. I don't have group loop issue and my units are grounded/earthed.

Initially I set to Pure DAC, but I find the sound a bit on bright side , then change to pre-mode with few dB attenuation. Yes I do play around with gain setting and volume pot , finally settle on high gain and 12- 2 o'clock range , but I do control volume from my Krell too for fine tuning.

hmscott

The noise from my digital source (Aries Mini) or D90 MQA. I don't have group loop issue and my units are grounded/earthed.

Initially I set to Pure DAC, but I find the sound a bit on bright side , then change to pre-mode with few dB attenuation. Yes I do play around with gain setting and volume pot , finally settle on high gain and 12- 2 o'clock range , but I do control volume from my Krell too for fine tuning.
The output of the D90 into the A90 doesn't need to be reduced by -3dB, as the A90 is designed to take the full output of the D90 in DAC mode. There should be no change in tonality by decreasing or increasing the D90 output in Pre mode.

Are you using the A90 as a Headphone AMP too? What function is the A90 in that audio chain to you? The Krell KAV-400xi is already a Pre-Amplifier, there is no need to insert the A90 between the D90 and the Krell KAV-400xi...

At first, I assumed the Krell was a final amplifier to drive the speakers, but the Krell KAV-400xi is a full integrated amplifier with remote control for volume and other functions, including a pre-amplifier.
Krell Remote Control.JPG
So the Krell is also acting as your pre-amp... you don't need to insert the A90 in that audio chain.

As a headphone amp, the A90 would be better configured to a Krell output - so you can use your headphones driven from the A90 fed by other devices switched through the Krell, like your TV, or turntable, D90, or other sources.

The Krell KAV-400xi doesn't have a DAC, nor does it switch USB / optical inputs, so the D90 MQA analog XLR/RCA output would be connected to the Krell KAV-400xi XLR/RCA input.

Do you visualize what I am describing? The Ares Mini / D90 MQA are paired as a source to be connected to the Pre-amp - the Krell KAV-400xi, and the A90 as a headphone AMP would then be connected to the pre-amp out of the Krell to be able to get input from all of the sources connected through the Krell.

What kind of "noise" do you get from your Aries Mini (Network Streamer) / D90 MQA (DAC)? How would you characterize it - what seems to cause it or stop it? How did you think the A90 would filter out the noise? Please restate what you want/need to do so I can understand it. I'm not catching on to what you are describing and how you think the A90 can affect it.

The D90 / A90 as a working pair - without a Pre-amp / Receiver / Integrated AMP - would take a digital input from a PC or Streamer and the A90 acting as a Pre-amp would feed it's output to an AMP to drive speakers - or feed directly to active speakers, but if you have a full Integrated AMP, Receiver, Pre-Amplifier available then the A90 would be best relegated to doing it's Headphone AMP function and use the Pre-amp out of the source switching device so you can use your headphone AMP to listen to all of your sources.

Does that make sense? :)

Last edited:

SeaNNyT

What are some good balanced Dacs to combo with this amp? I realize the d90 exists, but i also would like to spend less than $600 on a Dac alone. The reason i want the A90 is the connectivity options (balanced, 4.4 balanced, and SE) at this pricepoint and sound quality is unbeatable in my opinion. Thought about the modious, and was also looking at some of the SMSL options. Opinions?

auronthas

@hmscott Thanks, I fully understand my Krell KAV400xi is integrated amplifier, no built-in DAC:), Aries Mini has its DAC but a decent only and no balanced output, thus I bought D90 MQA external DAC.

Having A90 for both head amplifier and pre-amp, I thought A90 can further "polish" or "fine tune" the sound before send to Krell to process via its pre-amp then power amp to speaker.

As my previous posts

Speaker System

Aries Mini 《USB》D90 MQA 《XLR》A90 《XLR-PreAmp mode》Krell KAV400xi 《》speaker

Headphone System
Aries Mini 《USB》D90 MQA 《XLR》A90 《XLR-HPA mode》

basically the above speaker and headphone system, I toggle switch between pre-amp and headamp.

Whenever I finish auditioning, I will turn to low gain and turn the volume pot to seven o'clock.

auronthas

As a headphone amp, the A90 would be better configured to a Krell output - so you can use your headphones driven from the A90 fed by other devices switched through the Krell, like your TV, or turntable, D90, or other sources.

Do you visualize what I am describing? The Ares Mini / D90 MQA are paired as a source to be connected to the Pre-amp - the Krell KAV-400xi, and the A90 as a headphone AMP would then be connected to the pre-amp out of the Krell to be able to get input from all of the sources connected through the Krell.
thanks for your suggestion. Currently I listen to my headphone system without turn on Krell pre-amp, direct from Aries Mini/D90/A90.

Based on your suggestion, so I need turn on Krell as following configuration and photo below (From top to bottom D90/A90/Krell?

Aries Mini 《USB》D90 MQA 《XLR》 Krell KAV400xi 《RCA-Preamp》 A90 《》Headphones

20210116_082501.jpg

Last edited:

hmscott

thanks for your suggestion. Currently I listen to my headphone system without turn on Krell pre-amp, direct from Aries Mini/D90/A90.

Based on your suggestion, so I need turn on Krell as following configuration and photo below (From top to bottom D90/A90/Krell?

Aries Mini 《USB》D90 MQA 《XLR》 Krell KAV400xi 《RCA-Preamp》 A90 《》Headphones
The idea is to utilize the Krell Integrated Pre-amp as the switch box for choosing source input. Sources like the Aries/D90 combo output to the Krell, your Turntable phono connects to the Krell, your TV audio, FM receiver, Tape source, etc would be accessible and switchable via the Krell remote.

The Krell would then drive your speakers directly from the sources connected to it.

If you want to listen to the FM receiver source, TV audio source, Aries/D90 source via headphones the A90 will get the Pre-out from the Krell and benefit from the Krell source switching letting the A90 control the Gain/Volume from the Krell Pre-out fixed output drive.

You could also run an RCA out from the D90 MQA to the A90 to allow you to use the Aries/D90 source without turning on the Krell! The D90 can be set to output via XLR + RCA at the same time - in the start up menu - hold down the Power/SEL button on the left of the D90 while switching on the power from the back of the D90, then use the up/down/SEL keys to change the output settings from XLR to XLR+RCA. I use the D90 remote to change the FIR filter number (I use 5 on SS, and 4 on Tube) but you can also set the FIR # in that boot menu too.

Now, if the only source you have is the Aries/D90 - you have no other input source to use the Krell switching capabilities, then your current setup is ok, but when you want to add more sources through your Krell then using the Krell as the main unit with the Aries/D90 as another source and the A90 as another AMP from Pre-amp output from the Krell makes more sense.

I'd probably set up as I am suggesting using the Krell as the input switcher with the Aries/D90 as a source and the A90 on the Krell Pre-amp out even starting with only that one source, because now you are configured to take advantage of more sources as you add them to the Krell.

Another advantage here is that you can have the Krell and the sources in your entertainment center, and run a long cable pair to your A90 from the Krell Pre-amp output allowing you to keep the A90 headphone AMP near your seating position - to allow close access for plugging in headphones easily to the A90. Most headphone cables are short, difficult to use while the headphone AMP is in the entertainment center. You could use a long extension cable - you'd probably need a couple + adapters to use the 6.35mm, 4.4mm, and 4-pin XLR outputs on the A90, or you can have the A90 next to you to use the in-built short cables attached to each headphone / IEM. :)

It would be better to make the long cable run an XLR cable, but if your Pre-amp out is RCA only that's ok too, just use well shielded RCA cable pair for the run. In high EMF (power tower) areas I run the long cables through long metal conduit's that are grounded to further drain the EMF to ground. But, most situations allow a long RCA cable pair without issues.

of course, if you wanted to keep the Aires/D90 next to you and have it feed directly into the A90, you could run an XLR from the A90 the long distance from your seating position to the Krell to drive the speakers, but then the A90 wouldn't get the benefit of access to the source material from the Krell switchable sources - unless you also ran a long RCA cable pair from the Krell Pre-amp output to the RCA input 2nd source input to the A90 - and then use the RCA (Krell) / XLR (D90) switch on the A90.

Many options, it's up to you to define how you want to access your sources, where you want your A90 for easy headphone plug-in access, and where you want your D90 / Aries to sit - next to you or in the entertainment center next to the Krell.

As the D90 has a remote and the Aries has computer control for selecting media, neither needs to sit next to you.

Anyway, have fun, and please let us know what configuration you decide on and how it helps you to enjoy your hardware and headphones / IEM's :)

Last edited:

hmscott

What are some good balanced Dacs to combo with this amp? I realize the d90 exists, but i also would like to spend less than $600 on a Dac alone. The reason i want the A90 is the connectivity options (balanced, 4.4 balanced, and SE) at this pricepoint and sound quality is unbeatable in my opinion. Thought about the modious, and was also looking at some of the SMSL options. Opinions?
You could get the D90 without MQA for $749 and save $100 off the D90 MQA $849 - but I would buy the MQA model myself - and did! - so I'm a bit biased because I listen to Tidal MQA Masters tracks - along with Amazon Music HD, and Youtube.

D90 MQA / D90
https://hifigo.com/products/topping...4499-bt-5-0-dsd512-32bit-768khz-pre-amplifier

I saved up over a long wait for the D90 MQA + A90, it was about 8 months, the A90 came along somewhere during that time - I was working on faith that Topping would deliver a matching Headphone AMP during that time.

Topping recently released the D70s MQA upgraded DAC, balanced, and is "only" $649, which is $200 less than the D90 MQA - and the D70s includes full MQA decoding.

D70s MQA
https://hifigo.com/products/topping-d70s-mqa-dac

I haven't used or seen the D70s MQA in operation, but we can check out the threads here on ASR for the D70s:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70s-mqa-review-dac.18728/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-topping-d70s-dual-4497-dac.18660/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...you-had-to-choose-topping-d50s-or-d70s.10168/

There is the older Topping D70 DAC without MQA for $499.99, and it is balanced too!
https://hifigo.com/products/topping-d70-usb-dac-dsd512-32bit-768khz-usb-dac-xmos-desktop-decoder
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-the-topping-d70-dac.7694/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-and-headphone-amp-reviewed.9446/post-610202

There is also the Topping DAC/AMP combo unit DX7 Pro, which also has 4-pin XLR + 4.4mm + 6.35mm headphone jacks:
https://hifigo.com/products/topping...dac-headphone-amp-es9038pro-32bit-768k-dsd512
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-dx7-pro-dac-and-headphone-amp-reviewed.9446/

There are a lot of cheap DAC's out there that are balanced - we can do some googling on YouTube and search the online retailers - but I would suggest getting a Topping DAC to go with the Topping A90 Headphone AMP if possible.

Please come back and let us know which DAC you configure to use with the A90 :)

Last edited:

Newk Yuler

I researched the UPS you are using.
The output waveform is displayed as "Stepped approximation to a sinewave" in the specifications table of this UPS. This UPS is a simple UPS that outputs a stepped pseudo sine wave. The output has many harmonic noise components. I find this UPS a good choice for use in digital devices such as computer equipment, but not very suitable for use in audio equipment applications. Maybe if you power your audio equipment from a wall outlet, the noise problem will go away.

I use 3 of those bigger APC UPS with less costly stepped approximation sinewave circuits. They've been competent UPS for many years (just needing replacement batteries). I use similar APC UPS of various sizes on computers, television and sound systems without issues. (Except when the new higher efficiency active PFC power supplies in the computers weren't compatible with the UPS which required true sinewave UPS until the PSU manufacturers later adjusted their products for better compatibility.) It should be noted for passers-by who don't know that the UPS supplies the fake sinewave generated power when engaged during a power fault so it doesn't normally inject noise into the power. When the power fails and the UPS kicks on to a hifi sound system you may hear the additional noise they put in the power stream. They occasionally self test and it can be surprising. Beats the crap out of subjecting your nice hardware to wonky power. Or you could just buy UPS that don't use the fake sinewave (nicer APC or Cyberpower?) but I have no idea that will be better than the aforementioned type or even if it makes that much difference when their use is for short emergencies anyway.

BTW, I use a D90/A90 combo in my current main system and they're probably the best components of their type I've owned. Mentioning that to be sure to be pertinent to the OP. ;)

Panoramious

Hello. I am considering to get an A90 to work as a hub for swappping between an rme adi 2 dac fs (balanced) and the front preamp outputs of my multichannel t758 (single ended). The balanced output will be connected to a bryston 4bsst power amp.
Most of the times it will be left on unity gain and the volume will be set by the sources that have remotes. I will only be using its volume when on headphones. The other scenario would be to get the topping pre and leave the rme volume aside while listening to speakers but i ll lose on the headphone amp. Which one is best for my case? And are there any other alternatives?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I have tried connecting Fiio BTR5 to A90's XLR input. I used a 2.5mm—2•XLR cable. The cable was ordered from Aliexpress and wasn't very expensive, but it shorted pins 1 and 3, which meant I had to add groundlifters to avoid shorting left and right negative poles.
Some time ago I tried connecting Fiio BTR5 to A90, using a cable that adapts a 2.5mm balanced connection to two XLRs. The cable had a shortcoming in that it didn't include the ground wire. Recently I added the grounding.

The contraption has the 2.5mm—2•XLR adapter with groundlifters to disconnect pin 1 as before. On one channel, I added a Y-splitter to extract pin 1 from A90, which was connected to a USB power adapter using surgical tape. This USB power adapter can be connected to the same USB hub as BTR5, so their grounds are connected together.

Adding the grounding removed the buzzing that remained without it, so grounding is definitely improves signal quality when connecting to an amp, in addition to improving safety.

Lately I also got a Qudelix 5K, which also worked with A90 with the same contraption.
grounding2.jpg

Last edited:

hmscott

That's a neat wire hookup, how does it sound?

Did you try the BTR5 3.5mm output to A90 RCA?

Either way, without power connected with BTR5 using BT receive there shouldn't be any chance of ground loops.

When I was experiencing A90 ground loop noise early on I thought about using the FiiO M15 Streaming Tidal running on battery power to avoid the ground loop noise.

Last edited:

Atanasi

Forum Donor
That's a neat wire hookup, how does it sound?

Did you try the BTR5 3.5mm output to A90 RCA?

Either way, without power connected with BTR5 using BT receive there shouldn't be any chance of ground loops.

When I was experiencing A90 ground loop noise early on I thought about using the FiiO M15 Streaming Tidal running on battery power to avoid the ground loop noise.
I didn't notice any obvious defects, at least with the grounding that got rid of the buzz. BTR5 worked also with 3.5mm, but it had a little buzz when used as a USB DAC, even though it was audibly only at very loud volumes. As a battery-powered Bluetooth receiver, there was no buzzing.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Here's a list of DACs with high performance through XLR, , I left it $1100 and under to include the RME ADI-2 DAC, just because, lol.
https://public.tableau.com/shared/S...splay_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link&:embed=y

If you want to go as cheap as possible, SMSL SU-8 v2, SMSL M300 Mk II, Schiit Modius, Soncoz LS-QXD1, or the Drop & Grace Design Standard DAC Balanced are high rated under $250.
Khadas has the Tone 2 Pro coming out soon with balanced RCA outs, for $200.

Last edited:
Top Bottom