• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

auronthas

@hmscott thanks for your lengthly explanation. Yes, that's basically my setup configuration for two-channel speaker system, but not AV system, I understand about XLR+RCA feature and fully utilize it for the convenience switching between balanced and single ended connection. :)

The new thing I learnt is the Pre-Amp out from Krell to A90, will try out this setup on my headphone system, I have a 2-meter long XLR headphone cable for my HE4XX, A90 is next to my couch, also my Denon D5200 came with 3-meter long single ended cable.

hhunterst

hey guys, ive tested my inputs of the topping a90..
i have a phono pre connected with rca-xlr cable and an dac with rca-rca cable. i thought the balanced input is just +6db louder, so i switched the dac with the phono pre, and i didnt notice a +6db at all. only the sound changes: balanced in has more mids and more treble. unbalanced is just smoother with more bass. that was not what i have expected. i think i like the "rca in" a way more.
is it normal? or its just my taste? does someone have similar experiences?
now i have to change the cable everytime i want to switch, i bought the a90 just for its 2inputs, but i am very surprised how the "sound" changes on the different inputs...

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
hey guys, ive tested my inputs of the topping a90..
i have a phono pre connected with rca-xlr cable and an dac with rca-rca cable. i thought the balanced input is just +6db louder, so i switched the dac with the phono pre, and i didnt notice a +6db at all. only the sound changes: balanced in has more mids and more treble. unbalanced is just smoother with more bass. that was not what i have expected. i think i like the "rca in" a way more.
is it normal? or its just my taste? does someone have similar experiences?
now i have to change the cable everytime i want to switch, i bought the a90 just for its 2inputs, but i am very surprised how the "sound" changes on the different inputs...
It is interesting that you mention this, I've also noticed the same. I prefer the RCA connection to the XLR as well, but living on the noise-free XLR I've gotten used to it, until you brought it up again ;)

I've also found the character of the sound changes when moving from L Gain to M Gain and again to H Gain - I use the D90 MQA Pre mode to redue the output so I can use the M/H gain for sensitive IEM's and headphones.

My A90 RCA is about 1.5dB down from the XLR input - I connected both XLR and RCA outputs of the D90 MQA into the A90.

You didn't mention any "noise" on the RCA input so while that remains so perhaps enjoy the RCA input?

If you have or get a Pre-amp or Integrated AMP with a Pre-out via RCA you could pass all of your sources into the source switch and enjoy them all on the A90 through the A90 RCA input :)

hhunterst

It is interesting that you mention this, I've also noticed the same. I prefer the RCA connection to the XLR as well, but living on the noise-free XLR I've gotten used to it, until you brought it up again ;)

I've also found the character of the sound changes when moving from L Gain to M Gain and again to H Gain - I use the D90 MQA Pre mode to redue the output so I can use the M/H gain for sensitive IEM's and headphones.

My A90 RCA is about 1.5dB down from the XLR input - I connected both XLR and RCA outputs of the D90 MQA into the A90.

You didn't mention any "noise" on the RCA input so while that remains so perhaps enjoy the RCA input?

If you have or get a Pre-amp or Integrated AMP with a Pre-out via RCA you could pass all of your sources into the source switch and enjoy them all on the A90 through the A90 RCA input :)

i dont have the "noise problem" on the RCA, but i dont want to switch the cables everytime. i had an amp with only one input and i bought the a90 because of its two inputs. but the "soundstage" is completly different on these two inputs. the rca is fine, the xlr is too "steril" for me, less bass, more mids and highs.
i noticed the difference on the gain levels too, but the input difference is way more annoying.
an another device (pre amp) i dont want to. because i have 3 "sound devices" already, its getting too much. i was wondering, why no one has mentioned it before? it must be measurable or?

mllm

Hello. I am interested in the Topping a90 as a preamp too...how does it compare in that regard with the recent pre90?. Just sonically disregarding convenience of more inputs or volume remote control. Thanks martin

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Regarding ESD issues, is it intended that the switches are not grounded to the chassis?

how does it compare in that regard with the recent pre90?
I think the relevant differences are the remote and the stepped attenuator for perfect channel balance at low volumes.

Daredev1l7

Replacing with a new A90.

Boxed the current one up tonight and will ship it back tomorrow as Apos sent me the return label this morning. Hopefully won't take too long to get the replacement, but Apos has been very responsive so far.

Just wanted to provide a quick update. Received a replacement A90 this morning, hooked it up exactly as I had the other one, and had zero issues. Switched back over to the Adam T5V's and also had zero issues.

Additionally, while I didn't think there was anything wrong with the headphone amp functionality, I was originally underwhelmed with its performance compared against my Monolith THX 887. Upon listening to a set of headphones on the replacement A90 and it was immediately clear that there was something wrong with the headphone amp portion of the original A90 in addition to the issues with the preamp portion. This new A90 actually kind of shocked me at how good it made my Aeolus sound compared to the THX 887 as I really wasn't expecting much difference.

Anyway, just wanted to follow up with my experience with the replacement A90.

Thank y'all again for the help!

mllm

Regarding ESD issues, is it intended that the switches are not grounded to the chassis?

I think the relevant differences are the remote and the stepped attenuator for perfect channel balance at low volumes.
Hello. Thanks for the response. I consulted their respective datasheet and the only significant difference i could discern is as crosstalk@1khz the a90 is around 105db whereas the pre90 is around 135db (depending se/ xlr input/output combination). Is that sonically significant, and could it be due to what you mention about the pre90 having stepped attenuator and the a90 not having that?. What does the a90 has as volume control?. Thanks martin

Atanasi

Forum Donor
the only significant difference i could discern is as crosstalk@1khz the a90 is around 105db whereas the pre90 is around 135db (depending se/ xlr input/output combination). Is that sonically significant
I don't think it makes a difference. I suspect there's less channel separation than that in one's head, because of bone conduction.

lyons238

can anyone comment on if the MQA version of the D90 has any issues? I've seen some comments regarding other DAC's and in general, that seem to think the MQA filters or something may affect even the PCM sources. Is this true in the D90's case? I ordered the MQA version already because I wanted to see if I preferred the hardware unfolding when streaming Tidal MQA files since much of the Tidal content now seems to be MQA. But at the same time, I definitely don't want any negative effects. I'm not one of the people that thinks hi-res files are better or anything I'm also happy with 16/44.1 and if it is hi-res, fine, so long as it's recorded, mastered, and or sampled well.

ClicketEKlack

can anyone comment on if the MQA version of the D90 has any issues? I've seen some comments regarding other DAC's and in general, that seem to think the MQA filters or something may affect even the PCM sources. Is this true in the D90's case? I ordered the MQA version already because I wanted to see if I preferred the hardware unfolding when streaming Tidal MQA files since much of the Tidal content now seems to be MQA. But at the same time, I definitely don't want any negative effects. I'm not one of the people that thinks hi-res files are better or anything I'm also happy with 16/44.1 and if it is hi-res, fine, so long as it's recorded, mastered, and or sampled well.

I've had zero issues with the D90 MQA, and despite the arguments against the format which I have no interest in hearing anymore, Tidal MQA sounds terrific through the D/A90 stack. As you say, it's all about the recordings. Check out Muddy Water's Folk Singer on Tidal MQA. That's a beautifully recorded album.

Reactions: trl

lyons238

I've had zero issues with the D90 MQA, and despite the arguments against the format which I have no interest in hearing anymore, Tidal MQA sounds terrific through the D/A90 stack. As you say, it's all about the recordings. Check out Muddy Water's Folk Singer on Tidal MQA. That's a beautifully recorded album.

Excellent to hear, I was hoping the implementation was done correctly and I'll definitely check out the artist you mentioned. I'm excited to hear MQA with a proper setup.

I just purchased the LCD-X (I already own LCD-2C, HD660s, DT1990 Pro's) and I currently have 2x JDS Labs Element II. So with the purchase of the LCD-X I wanted to try an upgraded setup and have a balanced option so I just purchased the D90/A90 stack for my office with the hopes that it's an ultimately transparent setup and I can always add a different amp like the GS-X Mini later on for a different delivery.

Also, I have a very nice software plugin setup where I use Soundsource 5 on both my Macbook Pro and M1 Mac Mini and Voicemeter Banana for Windows along with fabfilter Pro Q 3 for EQ, Goodhertz Canopener for crossfeed, and Goodhertz Mid-Side processor for dialing in the stereo field/width. It's an excellent combination of plugins when setup correctly it really brings to life my headphones and makes them sound super natural. I can't live without it now or I'd prefer not to and my hope is the A90/D90 along with the LCD-X will only enhance the experience. And now I still have the 2x Element II's for my living room and bedside setups :)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA DACs have had two different issues related to the addition of MQA capability. Each issue comes from the need to deal with the same core issue: how to handle playing a sequence of tracks that are a mix of MQA and non-MQA (e.g. streaming or shuffle/random play of a library).

Some DACs exhibit a momentary click or similar noise in the transition between MQA and non-MQA tracks (or non-MQA and MQA tracks). I don't know for sure what causes this, but my understanding is that it comes from switching the digital reconstruction filter while the music stream is playing. MQA "final render" decoding with a DAC assigns a supposedly DAC-specific reconstruction filter, and that filter might be different from either the DAC's normal default filter, or from the user-selected filter (if the DAC allows the user to do that). So I believe the click comes from the automated on-the-fly change of the filter.

Other DACs, when they added MQA capability, simply switched the MQA filter on and left it on, presumably to avoid the problem noted above. This avoids clicks or any other obviously noticeable operational nuisances. But it does force all music to be played with an MQA-dictated reconstruction filter. As @ClicketEKlack notes above, this might very well be a non-issue sonically. But from a technical point of view, MQA filters do not have the characteristics that one would desire if one reads up on and is persuaded by the technical literature on filters. @amirm , @mansr , and many others here can elaborate if need be, but basically MQA filters are "leaky," with poor suppression of ultrasonic frequencies.

So owners of the D90 or any other MQA-capable DAC should very easily be able to tell you whether or not the unit exhibits a click between tracks when switching between MQA and non-MQA sources. But if the DAC permanently engages a MQA reconstruction filter, they can't necessarily tell you that. You'd have to search around and see if the manufacturer or anyone else has posted info about that online.

lyons238

MQA DACs have had two different issues related to the addition of MQA capability. Each issue comes from the need to deal with the same core issue: how to handle playing a sequence of tracks that are a mix of MQA and non-MQA (e.g. streaming or shuffle/random play of a library).

Some DACs exhibit a momentary click or similar noise in the transition between MQA and non-MQA tracks (or non-MQA and MQA tracks). I don't know for sure what causes this, but my understanding is that it comes from switching the digital reconstruction filter while the music stream is playing. MQA "final render" decoding with a DAC assigns a supposedly DAC-specific reconstruction filter, and that filter might be different from either the DAC's normal default filter, or from the user-selected filter (if the DAC allows the user to do that). So I believe the click comes from the automated on-the-fly change of the filter.

Other DACs, when they added MQA capability, simply switched the MQA filter on and left it on, presumably to avoid the problem noted above. This avoids clicks or any other obviously noticeable operational nuisances. But it does force all music to be played with an MQA-dictated reconstruction filter. As @ClicketEKlack notes above, this might very well be a non-issue sonically. But from a technical point of view, MQA filters do not have the characteristics that one would desire if one reads up on and is persuaded by the technical literature on filters. @amirm , @mansr , and many others here can elaborate if need be, but basically MQA filters are "leaky," with poor suppression of ultrasonic frequencies.

So owners of the D90 or any other MQA-capable DAC should very easily be able to tell you whether or not the unit exhibits a click between tracks when switching between MQA and non-MQA sources. But if the DAC permanently engages a MQA reconstruction filter, they can't necessarily tell you that. You'd have to search around and see if the manufacturer or anyone else has posted info about that online.

Interesting I'll have to see if I can find out how the D90 handles switching between content. Though I don't believe it's as simple as saying if it doesn't click, the MQA filters are applied to all content. I'll have to look further into it and see but it's a good starting point. thanks!

Phony846

Also, I have a very nice software plugin setup where I use Soundsource 5 on both my Macbook Pro and M1 Mac Mini and Voicemeter Banana for Windows along with fabfilter Pro Q 3 for EQ, Goodhertz Canopener for crossfeed, and Goodhertz Mid-Side processor for dialing in the stereo field/width. It's an excellent combination of plugins when setup correctly it really brings to life my headphones and makes them sound super natural.

Would you mind sharing your Canopener settings that you find most appealing? I already have Fabfilter Pro Q3, and interested in even more fine-tuning.

lyons238

Would you mind sharing your Canopener settings that you find most appealing? I already have Fabfilter Pro Q3, and interested in even more fine-tuning.

sure here you go. sometimes i alter between 45-60 degrees of angle and between 100-150% amount. i also have midside after canopener which does play into my overall settings but the settings below will also work fine without midside

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 1.03.51 PM.jpg

fendy323

hiii ~
i have a basic question,
Usually after use, i just turn off the unit (press power off) or have to turn off the button on the back of the unit huh?

Because all this time I just press the power off without turning off the back button, but if suddenly power failure and turns on or when I turn on the PC, it automatically turns this topping on too, will this damage in the long term ?

lyons238

hiii ~
i have a basic question,
Usually after use, i just turn off the unit (press power off) or have to turn off the button on the back of the unit huh?

Because all this time I just press the power off without turning off the back button, but if suddenly power failure and turns on or when I turn on the PC, it automatically turns this topping on too, will this damage in the long term ?

did you try reading the manual? Usually that sort of info is in there.

but most modern gear is typically fine to leave in standby mode and sometimes preferred. I typically use a quality surge protector and certain devices I leave on standby certain devices I totally shut down. For instance my subwoofer is always on standby as is my pre amp and amp.

My jds labs element II I shut it down because it doesn’t have standby.

my topping d90/a90 will arrive on Monday so I’ll probably read the manual and poke around to see the best way to manage that devices power.

Top Bottom