• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphone amplifier for multiple users?

lkanies

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I need a headphone amplifier for my desk. The headphones are DCA Aeon Noire, so the amp needs to be pretty powerful.

The wrinkle is that others often use my desk (for calls, video games, etc.). So, ease of use -- and ease of switching between headphones and speakers -- is important. I will be routing sound from my computer to an audio interface (currently a Motu M2) then to the amp, and from there to my headphones and speakers. I use each output regularly.

I thought I had a perfect answer: I bought a refurb A90 from Apos. It has physical switches for output modes, which means it's easier to understand for everyone else. But... I made a mistake. I actually bought an A90 Pro (discrete). I clearly just got confused, with too many tabs open, looking at reviews of the non-pro, with the physical switches, and missing the difference from the one on Apos.

So now I have this A90 Pro. I am sure it is awesome, but I am concerned the rest of my family will find it too annoying to use. Yes, I know it has a remote control, but that's a downgrade, IMO, from physical switches. And I don't like having a remote on my desk. It makes no sense -- the device is right there.

My next best bet was an A70 Pro, with the new design. It's not as good as the A90 (non-pro), because it has soft switches instead of physical ones. But at least they're dedicated controls, with readouts making the output choice clear.

So, I think my questions are:
- Can any of you comment on the ease of use of switching between outputs on the A70 Pro and/or A90 Pro Discrete, especially for people who don't care about any of this stuff and just want to play Minecraft? Is one of them clearly better or worse in this specific area?
- Is there a different, obviously right answer for a high power, high quality amp that provides easy to use physical controls? I checked most of the highly rated ones and none seemed to be so.

Thanks!

OP
lkanies

lkanies

Forum Donor
Hmm. Looks like I didn't do good math, and the Topping e2x2 will likely work as a single unit, with enough power to drive my headphones:

Now I just need to find somewhere that has it for sale?

OP
lkanies

lkanies

Forum Donor
It looks like the L50 cannot control speaker volume, only headphone volume? I do like the physical switches.

I need this to function as a basic preamp, too, switching between headphones and speakers.

And I’ll note that I think my Motu M2 is easy. But I used my label maker to put big, specific labels above each dial, so everyone in my family knows exactly how they work. So I’m holding myself to a high standard of usability.

Top Bottom