• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another issue which I have with D-6 is power button.
You have to press in right moment and with certain amount of time to switch it off.
For me it is really pain full.
Why is not switching off when you hold this button longer than 2 second?
Or in this case separate switch for power would be good.

I didn't like the DO100 didn't have an auto standby function either.

Keerati

DVD - coax cable - Dac - RCA cable - integrated amplifier
Normal setup - like usual.
Maybe you should check the dvd output format. Is it PCM 48khz? I previously had a problem from my TV -> DAC because of format incompatibility.

Rom_troy

Maybe you should check the dvd output format. Is it PCM 48khz? I previously had a problem from my TV -> DAC because of format incompatibility.
I used to have xindak dac5, topping d30, topping e30, topping e50, smsl Sanskrit and many more. Never had any problem at all.
Any way optical connection is working fine and show 44.1

Last edited:

rob755

Forum Donor
May I ask are you enjoying this D-6 more than the Topping E50? Thanks

WhyNotHad

I didn't feel any 'big' difference between the two. It would be wiser to say that there is no difference in listening to music. There's a limit to human hearing, so we can only talk about what subtle differences there are. Limitation.

The sound of the E50 which I felt is a little bit cleaner and a little bit more layered, but it's just a subjective feeling, and I think it's hard for most people to feel the difference between the D-6 and E50.

The E50 has MQA unfolding function and does not have Bluetooth function. It seems a little wiser to note these differences. (Aside from the issue of whether MQA is the right way to do it)

vrobec

Has someone found a review for SMSL D-6? Could we expect it here on Audioscience?

Rom_troy

Actually I had very limited time with d6 because of coax problems. I played music only by optic cable.
And for me - E50 was more full in the mid range region. Human voices were more forward.
E50 was also more "sweet" or less aggressive. I enjoyed E50 little bit more. But it was only my first impression.

juliangst

Has anyone directly compared the DO100 to the D-6?
The D-6 is 190€ with shipping from Audiophonics while the DO100 is on amazon prime for 215€.
The full size XLR on the DO100 is also a plus for me.
Should I just go for the DO100?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Likely the DO100 is a better product. ESS seems to do optical / coax better than AKM anyhow.

juliangst

Likely the DO100 is a better product. ESS seems to do optical / coax better than AKM anyhow.
I thought so. I’m currently selling my smsl Sanskrit 10 on eBay and will get the DO100 when it’s sold.

Zek

Major Contributor
ESS seems to do optical / coax better than AKM anyhow.
Are you sure, I think the optical/coax input depends on the used input chip and not on the DAC chip.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Are you sure, I think the optical/coax input depends on the used input chip and not on the DAC chip.
Judging by the recent E30 II measurements I expect D6 to be similar. ESS has more of it integrated so it's more difficult to make it worse.

ampguy

So for budget balanced, this, topping e30 II, or topping D10B, anyone have all 3, or 2 yet to compare?

juliangst

So for budget balanced, this, topping e30 II, or topping D10B, anyone have all 3, or 2 yet to compare?
E30 II is Not balanced

juliangst

Ahh, thanks. I guess I'm leaning towards the SMSL or D10B then
Depends on what you need. D10b only has USB in and Coax and optical out while smsl has 3 inputs

Bleib

Major Contributor

NexusOne

Directly comparing the Topping D10 Balanced vs the SMSL D-6 DACs

I can't decide between the D10 Balanced and Smsl D-6. I hope you can help me. What can you do with the remote? Switching through the sources, changing the power and power it on / off? Is that correct?

What's the problem with the power button?

Strompel

I can't decide between the D10 Balanced and Smsl D-6. I hope you can help me. What can you do with the remote? Switching through the sources, changing the power and power it on / off? Is that correct?

What's the problem with the power button?
Yes the remote cycles through these settings. Change filter setting and output mode too.

The dac doesn't have a power button. That is done by remote. I have no issues with it.

The pop/click occurs when switching audio sample rate. It does not bother me because it is not to loud on mine.

And most of my audio files are the same sample rate. During playback there is no problem at all.

There is a soft tick sound when it is not playing anything after a while and when it starts playing again.

When it plays it plays very well. No pop clicks noise or what so ever.

I have a dual 9038q2m dac too. And they are both equal in quality when level matched. When I compare them side by side. Sometimes I feel that the 9038q2m is a little sharper and the akm4493s little softer. But up on closer listening that thought is lost.

op299

Hi!

Does anyone know if it is possible to choose which output is active - TRS or RCA - or are both active at the same time?

Top Bottom