• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anthem mrx 1120
You can connect the D-6 to your MRX 1120 either via the Toslink output (pass-through, no DSP) or via the HDMI Out 1 with an HDMI Audio Extractor in between AVR and DAC.
Screenshot_20220720-155311_Drive.jpg

NV3S

You can connect the D-6 to your MRX 1120 either via the Toslink output (pass-through, no DSP) or via the HDMI Out 1 with an HDMI Audio Extractor in between AVR and DAC.
View attachment 219362
@alfred3 Note the data flow here,AVR -> DAC
If you want to do it the other way around, you may need to connect the DAC output (RCA) to the ANALOG AUDIO-IN on the left side of the back of the AVR

alfred3

@alfred3 Note the data flow here,AVR -> DAC
If you want to do it the other way around, you may need to connect the DAC output (RCA) to the ANALOG AUDIO-IN on the left side of the back of the AVR
the full setup is a media player connected to NAS connected to avr

linuxfan

the full setup is a media player connected to NAS connected to avr
Then clearly the sensible connection will be:
media player digital output > DAC input, DAC analogue output > AVR analogue input (as NV3S suggested).

I trust you realise that an external DAC, such as the D-6, is duplicating a function which your AVR already has. The two reasons, then, you should consider introducing an external DAC into your signal chain are:
i) your AVR's DAC is low-end or mediocre, and your external DAC is high-end, so might perform/sound better than the inbuilt DAC. But your Anthem MRX 1120 is a fairly high-end product, and I wouldn't expect this to be the case.
or
ii) your digital source device only provides USB-audio output (the Anthem only accepts coaxial/optical s/pdif, not USB).
What media player do you have, exactly?

alfred3

Then clearly the sensible connection will be:
media player digital output > DAC input, DAC analogue output > AVR analogue input (as NV3S suggested).

I trust you realise that an external DAC, such as the D-6, is duplicating a function which your AVR already has. The two reasons, then, you should consider introducing an external DAC into your signal chain are:
i) your AVR's DAC is low-end or mediocre, and your external DAC is high-end, so might perform/sound better than the inbuilt DAC. But your Anthem MRX 1120 is a fairly high-end product, and I wouldn't expect this to be the case.
or
ii) your digital source device only provides USB-audio output (the Anthem only accepts coaxial/optical s/pdif, not USB).
What media player do you have, exactly?
i have NVidia shield and now ordered Dune HD Real Vision 4K that i will receive next week

linuxfan

Well the Shield TV Pro has two digital audio outputs; HDMI and USB. Anthem has HDMI inputs, so that's your only choice to connect directly from Shield to Anthem. HDMI interfaces are often locked to a sample rate of 48kHz, and if this is the case with the Shield or Anthem, any 44.1kHz music content from the Shield will be up-sampled to 48kHz, potentially with a hit to the sound quality.
So it's feasible you might get a better sound quality with 44.1kHz content by inserting the D-6 into the signal chain.

The Dune HD has two digital audio outputs; HDMI and optical s/pdif. You can connect to your Anthem via either, or both. Again, there's a chance that sound quality of 44.1kHz content may be better by avoiding the HDMI interface, and using the s/pdif interface instead.
I think this is your best option for music playback - Dune HD as source device, via optical s/pdif to the Anthem.
In this case there's no need to use the D-6 DAC ... but if you have already purchased the D-6, by all means connect it and do a listening comparison, and let your ears decide which connection regime sounds best.

alfred3

Well the Shield TV Pro has two digital audio outputs; HDMI and USB. Anthem has HDMI inputs, so that's your only choice to connect directly from Shield to Anthem. HDMI interfaces are often locked to a sample rate of 48kHz, and if this is the case with the Shield or Anthem, any 44.1kHz music content from the Shield will be up-sampled to 48kHz, potentially with a hit to the sound quality.
So it's feasible you might get a better sound quality with 44.1kHz content by inserting the D-6 into the signal chain.

The Dune HD has two digital audio outputs; HDMI and optical s/pdif. You can connect to your Anthem via either, or both. Again, there's a chance that sound quality of 44.1kHz content may be better by avoiding the HDMI interface, and using the s/pdif interface instead.
I think this is your best option for music playback - Dune HD as source device, via optical s/pdif to the Anthem.
In this case there's no need to use the D-6 DAC ... but if you have already purchased the D-6, by all means connect it and do a listening comparison, and let your ears decide which connection regime sounds best.
thank you for your detailed replay . i didn't purchased yet t D-6 DAC but i intent to . external Dac wouldn't be better regarding audio quality then avr ?

DACslut

My D-6 is going back to the 'zon. The "pops and clicks" are intolerable for me and it doesn't even sound nearly as good as my Sabaj D5. Not as "full" and just sounds mediocre in comparison. It should be fine for people on a limited budget, however.

linuxfan

external Dac wouldn't be better regarding audio quality then avr ?
A well regarded entry-level DAC (such as the D-6) may well beat the DAC of a typical entry-level AVR ... but your Anthem MRX 1120 is a high-end product, so I venture a guess that the D-6 won't get you much sound quality improvement, if at all, in your situation.
But if you can find a seller who will let you return the DAC, by all means, go ahead and do a comparison if you're keen to try.

skfalco

I just ordered the d-6, will run some tests when it arrives, hope the pops and clicks are solved or an isolated issue that can be fixed, its funny how if the DAC fails it suddenly becomes a budget product that won't sound full, hope I can skip that part

Rom_troy

Hello,
Finally I got my D-6.
All is working fine apart coax input.
I don't know if this can be firmware problem or hardware.
I have a DVD with coax and spdif optic output. The optic connection is working very good but coax is silent.
I have another DAC which is working on coax and optic connections without problem.
I check also 3 different coax cables.
Any suggestions?

Zek

Major Contributor
Check if the DVD player has an output signal selection option.

Rom_troy

Check if the DVD player has an output signal selection option.
I have this DVD since many years. I had also few DAC's and always all was fine.
Now I have D6 ans another DAC to compare.
When I plug D6 to optical output and another dac to coax then all is fine but when I switch D6 to coax then is silence.
I see "coax" on D6 dac display but no frequency when music is playing.
Looks like D6 is not receiving any signal at all (from coax).

Zek

Major Contributor
When I plug D6 to optical output and another dac to coax then all is fine but when I switch D6 to coax then is silence.
Can you describe in a little more detail what is connected to what and how.

Rom_troy

Another issue which I have with D-6 is power button.
You have to press in right moment and with certain amount of time to switch it off.
For me it is really pain full.
Why is not switching off when you hold this button longer than 2 second?
Or in this case separate switch for power would be good.

Top Bottom