• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth Pre Amp Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Aside from technical differences such as higher distortion that may, in many cases, remain below audible limits there is also the effect that people believe the many stories about LDR volume control and positive reviews that this will make them prefer this attenuator/buffer over other options.

Last edited:

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An LDR actually is just a resistor that changes its resistance based on how much light is shined on it. So from that standpoint it is actually passive as far as the signal path goes. The high distortion artifacts that were quite apparent in testing are from the non-linearity of the LDRs used, poor LDR implementation, poor power supply design/layout for the LED light part that shines light on the LDR(s) and whose intensity range is controlled by the volume control potentiometer, crude wiring paths/layout, etc. Nevertheless, it is a far less linear and smoothly controllable approach to a passive preamp than a simple potentiometer or step attenuator - without the whiz bang element of using light.

Also, just because it has a power supply doesn't mean it's not passive preamp. I could build a passive preamp around a remote control motorized Alps potentiometer and the signal path would only be going through the passive variable resistor (potentiometer). The power supply would only be powering the remote controlled motor that turns the potentiometer based on inputs received from the remote control and to power the digital readout to let you know what volume level it's set at, etc. That is a purely passive preamp approach that has a power supply, and adds the convenience of remote control, and volume level readout.

Nevertheless I have built numerous passive preamp prototypes, including an LDR version, and I still generally dislike ALL passive preamps for a couple of reasons. First, they have no gain to preserve the dynamics of analog sources which are not very high in output voltage like digital sources are. Second, the output impedance of a passive preamp varies depending upon the resistance setting of the variable resistor and at some volume control levels may be unsuitable for driving some power amplifiers, affecting the overall sound quality - which then demands the inclusion of an output buffer circuit which in turn introduces some negative effect on transparency, etc.

The Truth has an input buffer before the LDR, and an output buffer after the LDR. That makes it 'active' in my book.

Mani.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is active, the question remains whether or not is a pre-amplifier or an attenuator with multiple inputs.
In any case, this particular device is not a passive volume control where some other ones are despite needing a power supply for the LED.
In my eyes buffering an LDR makes more sense than all passive audio path.

manisandher

I'd say attenuator with multiple inputs, as it provides no gain.

Mani.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
probably a used one if I can find in my country, the chances are however very very remote as I think not many are aware of it.
In fact, I find the website totally bland looking like the equipment with links to a few reviews and that's it.
Importing from US would make it twice expensive duty to local duties and taxes.
That said I am pretty satisfied with my Teac as I only use one digital source nowadays, either via digione signature or laptop through the DAC.
I am only stating that the Hornshoppe sounded very very good in my setup belying its appearance or build.
I only asked because you said "But my jaws simply dropped from what heard."
Was it really that good? Or just "different" to your (probably neutral) TEAC?

kannan

Was it really that good? Or just "different" to your (probably neutral) TEAC?
Definitely not coloured. Was it better or different that the Teac is hard to state as one is a passive and the other active. What I liked about the Hornshoppe was it was definitely more open sounding and with a little wider stage that left a very positive impression. There was good details at low volumes which are usually a caveat with most passive pres unless properly matched to the source and power.
Sadly I could not retain it for more than a day to gauge further as the owner wanted it back immediately.

manisandher

Sadly I could not retain it for more than a day to gauge further as the owner wanted it back immediately.

You can have mine for half its retail price. PM me...

Mani.

manisandher

It provides power gain.

I understand that The Truth might be helpful if you have a highish output impedance source going into a lowish impedance device. But in this case, perhaps you're better off just getting a source with a more robust output stage?

Mani.

D

Deleted member 26571

I understand that The Truth might be helpful if you have a highish output impedance source going into a lowish impedance device. But in this case, perhaps you're better off just getting a source with a more robust output stage.

I only commented to clarify the technical point about gain. An attenuator produces less power at the output than is supplied to the input. "The Truth" is an amplifier.

This device is unworthy of inclusion in any audio system because of its poor design, construction, and performance.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wait -- how many jaws does one person have to drop*?
I mean, I am a biologist, but not a physiologist (much less an MD).

:rolleyes:

_________
* Is this the genesis of the phrase "Waiting for the other shoe jaw to drop"? ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
Truth needs to learn how to place the knobs at the same height on the chassis. It looks amateurish.

egellings

Major Contributor
It can't be that difficult to do a line stage these days. The workmanship and pricing of "The Truth" is appalling. Gimme a little walnut of a power transformer or wall wart, two little TO-92 78/79 series regulators & a 'lytic or two, an OPA2134 dual op amp, a coupla resistors and bypass & coupling caps, a case, a dual volume control, a selector switch and hardware bits, and I can make one that's basically not there in the signal path at all for peanuts. It's silly. Maybe you buy one for the same reason a dog rolls in a dead fish--you're proud of how bad you smell.

antennaguru

It can't be that difficult to do a line stage these days. The workmanship and pricing of "The Truth" is appalling. Gimme a little walnut of a power transformer or wall wart, two little TO-92 78/79 series regulators & a 'lytic or two, an OPA2134 dual op amp, a coupla resistors and bypass & coupling caps, a case, a dual volume control, a selector switch and hardware bits, and I can make one that's basically not there in the signal path at all for peanuts. It's silly. Maybe you buy one for the same reason a dog rolls in a dead fish--you're proud of how bad you smell.

That's so funny! My previous dog caught a snake and as she killed it a dead frog got coughed up in the snake's inside out stomach. What a mess on the lawn! That dog rolled around on top of that mess until I finally took it away and disposed of it. I guess she was proud of the kill...

egellings

Major Contributor
That hound! That hound! You would think that with the sensitive noses they have, stinking that strongly would just overload them and they'd avoid that at all costs, but no-o-o--the more the merrier. Go figure. Dogs have an odd idea of just what a cologne should do!

Top Bottom