• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The "other" German Speaker Manufacturers (Canton, Magnat, Heco, Quadral, ...) - Where do they stand?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Another German brand that I didn't know

Fischer&Fischer SN-270 AMT

2022-01-31-TST-Fischer-Fischer-SN-270-AMT-1.jpg

2022-01-31-TST-Fischer-Fischer-SN-270-AMT-m6.png

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
What about German Physiks, Gauder Akustik?
I only have this " in room " measurements
Looks good to be a in-room measurements but at the same time is not much useful a measure like this

1647245523639.png

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Audio physic avanti 35 looks good too (why glass ?)
AVANTI_35__audio_physic_hifi_news_july_2020_3.jpg

2021-05-31-TST-Audio-Physic-Avanti-35-m7.png
Why glass? Audio Physic's designers have an interest in materials engineering in particular. So the cabinets are built from multi-layer including ceramic foam, plastic honeycomb, MDF, elastomer and glass (the latter an option). Different resonance behaviour for different materials and sort of the opposite from the high mass approach of Wilson et al. They de-couple drivers (from the baffle and internally via dual basket in the midrange). KEF adopted a variant of the latter approach in their recent revision. Also de-coupled are speaker terminal connections and (optional) magnetic levitation feet.

On model selection, yeah available measurements are limited but in the German publications we usually see fairly good (quasi-anechoic) on-axis frequency response but a more directional treble from the cone tweeter (by design apparently) so place and aim speakers and treat the room (if required) accordingly. The three-way Avanti and four-way Codex effectively have an internal passive downward-firing subwoofer (crossing ~100 Hz in the Codex). If you plan separate subs then the three-way Midex can be a better choice. Midex has the Codex front baffle driver arrangement plus an addition 7" bass driver and no internal sub, while on Codex the internal 10" is perhaps redundant if you add more subs (at least in a small/medium room) and the Midex is cheaper. There's also a new three-way Sparks stand-mount model (basically the top section of the Codex).

I have Codex as they were a trade-in, so cheaper for me than new Midex. No subs so the four-way with unusual bass loading is beneficial. I think their design approach gives unusually good timbre but there's no obvious way to verify that via measurements that I know of. They deliver subjectively good soundstage and imaging (if that sort of thing interests you) and I use them in a fairly dry room aimed directly at the listening position set a bit wide but not too close to the side walls. Set up that way the imaging doesn't appear to collapse dramatically as the listener moves laterally, giving a decently accomodating sweet spot.

Last edited:

Martijn W

They are not proper coaxials., They are coaxials like car stereo speakers. I mean tweeter infront of the midwoofer. its very expensive and for that price there are lot of cheaper better speakers. Are there any distoriton graphs or geithains?
The way you talk about Geithain you obviously have no experience in using them.

Personally I like my Geithain monitoring solution more than anything else. Also I am not aware of any person with true experience using Geithain questioning their superior quality.

Currently I own not only Geithain (rl944k1s+11k) but also Neumann (kh310+Kh750dsp and kh120) and PSI (A21-m v4). Previously I also owned various K+H, Barefoot, Kii Three, Genelecs, Adam and Dynaudio.

Kef r11 is less than 1 percent with THD. It can be eqed to flat without any distortions. Its 5000 Euros. Geithains are way too expensive compared to it and performs worse. 3% THD is audible. I dont see any reason why it should be prefered for any reason. UniQ has better directivity.

THD is actually very low.

Attachments

• RL-944K-Klirrdiagramm-eng.jpg
    RL-944K-Klirrdiagramm-eng.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

XDM

I had the Magnat Signature 503 bookshelves and I returned them. The treble from that "High-res audio" tweeter was HARSH. Especially any kind of high drum would be uncomfortable to my ears. I tried different amps (a Yamaha and an older Marantz) and both had this result.

In better news, Quadral just (3 months ago) announced their new Chromium Style line https://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/quadural-chromium-speakers/quadral-chromium-style-2 but very few actual reviews still it seems?

raest

anybody has any experience with the Teufel Definion models? one (three, actually :D) of the rare speakers with a coaxial, though from the (poor) measurements i found, it doesn't seem as good as a comparable KEF speaker. the Definion 3 is as big as the R7, but has the performance of the R5... though it's cheaper than both (half the price of R7)...

the sealed box Definion 5 seems interesting, though. not enough passive sealed floorstanders at reasonable prices these days. possibly the only one with a coax?

i'm guessing that unlike most other coaxes, these aren't as great because of the flat membrane of the mid unit, so the tweeter has no nice waveguide

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any opinions on Backes & Müller?

backes_mueller_bm15_loudspeaker_system.jpg

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sure its a international problem. But iam german and like to give my view on the proplem.

Traditionally, German magazines offered way more measured data than UK magazines. It was just hard for us single language people (english) to read. :) The US magazines were by far the best, especially once the Audio Precision System One came into being in about 1987/8 or so. It was a golden age of measurements until the AVR came along and specs started going out the window again and reviewers stopped caring.

The resurgence of 2 channel has brought back a renewed interest in reasonably decent measurements by a small cohort of passionate people. Will we ever see the exhaustive testing done in the past? I doubt it. Much is the pity, but it is, what it is.

fallawayjay

If you open up a canton you see no quality advantage over a KEF. I had a Vento 896 and the woofers were made of plastic and cables were were the cheapest possible ones inside. The Crossover was well made, but again with very basic components. The cabins rattled all the time with bass, although it wasnt audibly distorting anything. So, I wont equate made in Germany to quality when it comes to audio.
The 9Ks have quality parts audioquest internal wires short runs twisted, custom capicators solid as a rock construction.They are a verticle lnterated as well so hopefully it pays off for the consumer.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Delayed reaction on my part, but they look interesting (the B&M 100 model even more so, if you are feeling lavish). Interesting approach to directivity, and years of experience doing active designs too.

kadajawi

backes_mueller_bm15_loudspeaker_system.jpg
I love the BM Line 35 (having heard the 25 and 35, not sure if I have heard the Prime 8... if yes, it didn't stand out as much, or maybe the 35 was just too fantastic). Probably the best speaker I've ever heard.

Top Bottom