• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The "other" German Speaker Manufacturers (Canton, Magnat, Heco, Quadral, ...) - Where do they stand?

Crosstalk

By the way do you have R7?
No, but I back ordered a R11 in December when the offers were there, so its having some delays. It will be home in 2- 3 weeks now. Currently have a Canton vento 896 and 890. I had a soft corner for Canton, but from here I learned they are not worth the money. So I upgraded to the KEFs now :)

Thunder22

I have the Canton 896.2 and rest assure the cabinets are top notch with zero resonances. I haven't heard any distortion the few times I've listened at 100 db either, which isn't often. I got the 866.2 center free with the 896.2 heavily discounted price but it's just okay. FWIW I don't believe I have great hearing or anything.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
No, but I back ordered a R11 in December when the offers were there, so its having some delays. It will be home in 2- 3 weeks now. Currently have a Canton vento 896 and 890. I had a soft corner for Canton, but from here I learned they are not worth the money. So I upgraded to the KEFs now :)
Not worth the money because you don't enjoy your Cantons? Or you auditioned the KEF R11 and liked them better?

Out of curiosity to check prices just found this offer. If I were in the market for new living room speakers I would seriously consider to get those towers: https://www.hifi-schluderbacher.de/...y04dpcuSTi_SDDGJVmrOpbW9LOy-GEgUaAkWcEALw_wcB

Crosstalk

I have the Canton 896.2 and rest assure the cabinets are top notch with zero resonances. I haven't heard any distortion the few times I've listened at 100 db either, which isn't often. I got the 866.2 center free with the 896.2 heavily discounted price but it's just okay. FWIW I don't believe I have great hearing or anything.
its there on the graph clearly at 3khz and clearly it should be audible. On 896 when I tried the test tones I could hear it upon raising the volume. But with music we cannot make out if its part of music or distortion. But point is then we are not hearing the orginal signal at that loudness at 2-3khz

Crosstalk

Not worth the money because you don't enjoy your Cantons? Or you auditioned the KEF R11 and liked them better?

Out of curiosity to check prices just found this offer. If I were in the market for new living room speakers I would seriously consider to get those towers: https://www.hifi-schluderbacher.de/...y04dpcuSTi_SDDGJVmrOpbW9LOy-GEgUaAkWcEALw_wcB
I auditioned R11 and didnt get blew away at the store, but the thing it was bit dull. Then I noticed it had very low distortion, so eqing to bring up the highs is very much possible unlike Canton. I was really close to get another Canton but In another thread, BrokenEnglishGuy pointed out all the flaws of that model , that ended up choosing the R11. Now i look back, I wont regret, as I am 100% sure that they are much better than the ones I have now. All cantons I saw has the same flaw. Unless they fix that distotion in highs they are not worth anyones any money. ELAC or other German brands are much better in that regard. But since KEF with coaxial exists at the same price its a no brainer.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I auditioned R11 and didnt get blew away at the store, but the thing it was bit dull. Then I noticed it had very low distortion, so eqing to bring up the highs is very much possible unlike Canton. I was really close to get another Canton but In another thread, BrokenEnglishGuy pointed out all the flaws of that model , that ended up choosing the R11. Now i look back, I wont regret, as I am 100% sure that they are much better than the ones I have now. All cantons I saw has the same flaw. Unless they fix that distotion in highs they are not worth anyones any money. ELAC or other German brands are much better in that regard. But since KEF with coaxial exists at the same price its a no brainer.
I agree that Canton speakers don't possess the most polished treble (I've had only Canton speakers like Karat and Ergo, lower end than Vento though) but they still seem quite balanced and enjoyable and the highs don't attract unnecessary attention like in case of new gen B&W and Focal speakers. Good luck with the R11 when you receive them! Would be interesting to know your impressions.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that - ideally - that distortion rise in the 3khz region shouldn't be there, but let's look at it from a more practical standpoint: in the stereoplay measurements the distortion peak was measured at 100db. In the region where our hearing is most sensitive, that is loud. Do you believe that this amount of distortion really would be audible at that volume?
The problem is not really the peak at 100 dB but that at 90 dB it is almost as high (relatively, thus in percent).

Crosstalk

The problem is not really the peak at 100 dB but that at 90 dB it is almost as high (relatively, thus in percent).
i Wonder what happenes if we spread this news to canton forums in hifi forum.de. There are some die hard canton fans. But people who buy cantons are mostly guys who go to a showroom and listen. There it has an advantage due to no directivity like kef. I myself was about to fall into the trap, it was like day and night against the kef, Kef was more between speakers and canton was all over the place. Then after learning more I realized what we hear from kef is true and the other one is fake soundstage which isn’t present in the recording. So, we are not hearing the recording but enhanced version of it. But it was fun though.

Crosstalk

Talking about KEF, so beloved here, I had R500 for nine years working in my main system. Fine speakers, nothing much to blame apart from treble extension a bit lacking to my taste (compared to ELAC with AMT Heil tweeter) and unglued decorative rings around drivers when I bought them brand new (speaking about KEF build quality). For some reason I have never been in love with R500 like I was with ELAC FS 247, Audio Physic Tempo IV (another fabulous German speaker brand) or little active Scansonic M5 BLT standmounts.
That’s hell lot of distortion on fs 247! Lol!!! Yeah compared to r500 it has better freq resp atleast.

Attachments

• DA156A49-FD26-453B-B98C-D8C88F0AC787.jpeg
    DA156A49-FD26-453B-B98C-D8C88F0AC787.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 152

Crosstalk

Quadral -> RESPECT!! For 2k back then this would have been a bargain! @BrokenEnglishGuy

Attachments

• CA43B039-C8C7-4982-A073-7A0B0FE9B9BC.jpeg
    CA43B039-C8C7-4982-A073-7A0B0FE9B9BC.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 175

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quadral -> RESPECT!! For 2k back then this would have been a bargain! @BrokenEnglishGuy
Look at this Quadral which only costs 1k per pair and reaches 109dB, one of the best buys currently:

Crosstalk

Look at this Quadral which only costs 1k per pair and reaches 109dB, one of the best buys currently:
Apparently there are lots of speakers from 90s and up with near flat frequencies from Germany! I am now wondering why suddenly “flat response” on stuff like revel and kef gets more momentum when they were achieved long back. I think the only thing we need to look nowadays is directivity and low distortion as in room response of flattest monitors need correction before it reaches our seat, giving no real advantage of flat from factory. Only thing matters is it should be equable without distortion coming in the way. That also means at lower volumes of listening you don’t need to spend lot to get it as many cheap speakers hit only distortion when pushed.

Crosstalk

2.8 percent distortion in highs is audible. The older Quadral I mentioned here has it lower. Why they all mess up in high freq is something of a design choice?!!

Attachments

• 1136DE23-94E1-489E-96C2-3F537420CAA1.jpeg
    1136DE23-94E1-489E-96C2-3F537420CAA1.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 107

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently there are lots of speakers from 90s and up with near flat frequencies from Germany!
Yes, but their directivity usually (exceptions exist) are not en par with some modern state of the art loudspeakers.
I think the only thing we need to look nowadays is directivity and low distortion as in room response of flattest monitors need correction before it reaches our seat, giving no real advantage of flat from factory.
I agree, mind you not all use or can or want to use EQ.

2.8 percent distortion in highs is audible. The older Quadral I mentioned here has it lower. Why they all mess up in high freq is something of a design choice?!!
Because almost nobody will listen with 100 dB in that region, please keep in mind that most music has a spectrum similar to pink noise so if you have 105dB in the bass (which is the limit of most home loudspeakers) you will have much lower level in the highs. For example many Genelecs have a limiter for the tweeter even before 100dB which gets active on such a measurement with a constant sine sweep but is never a problem with real music program.

Crosstalk

I agree, mind you not all use or can or want to use EQ.
that’s true, but in a real room, flat is not flat at listening spot. A bad response speaker may sound flat if magically the room compensates all its flaws;) so, without DSP unless we are in a anechoic chamber, flat frequency from a speaker is good to see on paper at the best.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
that’s true, but in a real room, flat is not flat at listening spot. A bad response speaker may sound flat if magically the room compensates all its flaws;) so, without DSP unless we are in a anechoic chamber, flat frequency from a speaker is good to see on paper at the best.
I meant something different though, that if you care only about directivity and distortion when choosing loudspeaker you will definitely need EQ also above bass, while otherwise you probably will only need it for the bass/room correction.

Crosstalk

I meant something different though, that if you care only about directivity and distortion when choosing loudspeaker you will definitely need EQ also above bass, while otherwise you probably will only need it for the bass/room correction.
So in a real living room, a flat speaker needs only correction in bass at listening spot? I don’t think so, walls, furniture all add coloration in mid and highs. Even if you have the ruler flat monitor playing, at the listening spot it’s not going to reach the listening spot flat. That’s the place where speakers like Genelec with SAM works.

Speakers like kef reference sounds flat only in acoustic chambers, not in a living room without any room treatment.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So in a real living room, a flat speaker needs only correction in bass at listening spot? I don’t think so, walls, furniture all add coloration in mid and highs. Even if you have the ruler flat monitor playing, at the listening spot it’s not going to reach the listening spot flat. That’s the place where speakers like Genelec with SAM works.

Speakers like kef reference sounds flat only in acoustic chambers, not in a living room without any room treatment.
Above transition frequency we mainly perceive the direct sound, which is the reason why most "room corrections" don't work well in that region, see the first link in my signature. If you have a loudspeaker with flat direct sound and smooth directivity you don't really need EQ there, also if you see the Genelec GLM mainly puts just some shelving but not peak filters in that region to just adjust the tonal balance in relation to the ground tones and to compensate for the individual rooms and tastes.

Last edited:

Klonatans

Forum Donor
That’s hell lot of distortion on fs 247! Lol!!! Yeah compared to r500 it has better freq resp atleast.
After 9 years spent with FS 247 I find them one of the most precise, neutral and distortion free speakers I have heard. They were an excellent match with Exposure 2010S integral amp and I regret selling both to get Quadral Chromium Style 8 and Hegel H160 instead (a very bad match).

Crosstalk

Above transition frequency we mainly perceive the direct sound, which is the reason why most "room corrections" don't work well in that region, see the first link in my signature. If you have a loudspeaker with flat direct sound and smooth directivity you don't really need EQ there, also if you see the Genelec GLM mainly puts just some shelving but not peak filters in that region to just adjust the tonal balance in relation to the ground tones and to compensate for the individual rooms and tastes.
What is the the transition frequency ?

Top Bottom