• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a YS-Audio Audio Experience balanced A2 tube based preamplifier that I love. I also recently purchased a pair of handmade 300b PSET monoblocks that I’m using to biamplify my Von Schweikert speakers, which I surmise could be considered audiophoolery. I also have a fetish for Ohno continuous cast interconnects and speaker cables. My interconnects are all Liberty Cable Z500 series OCC cables that I picked up dirt cheap on close out. My speaker cables are Teflon insulated solid core 16AWG Neotech OCC wire.

Martin

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
20 years ago i purchased a cd that were supoose to demagnetize the electronics by playing weird sounds (yes really)
https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/demagic_e.html

demagic.jpg
Do you think they actually sold 100K of them before this add?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a PS audio Noise Harvester. It’s a device that uses noise above 10khz in the AC line to power a small LED.

Razorhelm

Mines an E-tech pro emi-filter, which i thought improved things but i eventually discovered was introducing its own weird noise.

Also could it be argued almost any unmeasured system?

My first measurements of my believed great system were pretty eye opening!

Sounds from my sub were 10-20db above where they should be! Tuning by ear is certainly not the way for me.

NoMoFoNo

I'm in my fifties and my grandfather was a symphony lover when I was a kid. He owned two R2R players and would hunker down to listen to symphony on these players. Here's the thing though: just like cassette, although to a much lesser extent, there was always a hissssss noise floor and I could never figure out why the hissssss noise floor didn't drive him nuts. I've heard many audiophools wax poetic about R2R but always think they are deluded, at least compared to good digital. Hissssssssssssssssss.

GeorgeWalk

Had to look up these magical little doodads to make sure they are real. Unbelievable. Mental note: never, ever buy a product from VPI.

I just looked it up also. WTF? Found this interesting quote from a review:
"How do they sound? compared to nothing extra dampening the chassis, these seem to improve imaging, as well as removing some harshness from the sound. It simply sits on top of your devices and absorbs stray fields, helping the internals operate in a better enviornment."
"...The improvements in imaging were both matched with my own Marble dampeners, though the grain reduction wasn't there." What???
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-vpi-magic-brick-tweak

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I got one of those Muse TDA1543 NOS DACs for my PC, don't do any critical listening here but it sounds fine. Never bothered to test it in my main system, because I don't want to setup a double blind test for it.

NoMoFoNo

That is one hell of an impressive machine. Do you use it? I'd be curious to know your impressions. I have a 1970s Akai 4-track and a few dozen prerecorded tapes. Haven't listened to any in a while, but my memory of them is that they were in many ways unsubtly superior to digital.

Oh really now? Would love to hear how.

GeorgeWalk

That is one hell of an impressive machine. Do you use it? I'd be curious to know your impressions. I have a 1970s Akai 4-track and a few dozen prerecorded tapes. Haven't listened to any in a while, but my memory of them is that they were in many ways unsubtly superior to digital.

I bought it more for the retro-chic. I like vintage machines. I used it a little. It is down for some maint/repair right now. The forward play isn't working correctly. The left channel stopped working. I trouble shot and found the left channel preamp input had a bad trace/solder that I fixed. Also, the forward play started playing at FF speed. I fixed the first issue, still working on the second.

For me, part of the attraction of vintage machines and electronics is learning from them by maintaining and repairing them.

Last edited:

RigorDude

Oh really now? Would love to hear how.

As noted, it has been a few years. And these impressions are necessarily general, as one cannot compare the same recording on different media.

With those caveats, here are the main differences as I perceived them: more dynamic articulation and "jump," both micro- and macro-, and especially at high frequencies; clearer separation in complex material; and greater tonal saturation.

The dynamics were the most vivid part. Perhaps this is a function of how these tapes were mastered - with little or no compression not in the master - rather any than any inherent superiority of the medium. Even now, most commercial recordings, including digital, are not mastered as "aggressively" as they could be.

Almost all the tapes in my little collection are classical - RCA, EMI, London. The classical divisions of these companies took great pride in the technical quality of their recordings. The vast majority of pop recordings from the 1960s and 70s were not very good to begin with; I wouldn't really expect to hear differences there. Perhaps RTRs of Steely Dan albums, if such things exist, would show a difference. Jazz recordings could also be revealing - again, assuming that such things exist.

I detect a note of skepticism in your reply. Have you listened to prerecorded AAA RTR tapes?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I spent years doing RTR recordings. Even relatively inexpensive digital is FAR superior as regards fidelity to the mike feed (frequency response, dynamic range, noise, distortion, pitch stability...). What gets done in recording and mastering is a separate question- the digital MEDIUM is night and day better.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, I just remembered an audiophile tweak I still own. I happened to dig it out of the basement because I've been selling off every bit of unused gear.

Tekna Sonic Vibration Absorbers. Seen here:

https://electrades.com/product/c-series-vibration-absorbers/

Bought then in the 90s.

They were heavy pieces of plastic, partially "finned," purportedly designed to adhere to your speaker via a magnetic patch attached to your speaker, to convert spurious speaker vibration, I guess in to heat or whatever. Basically, to reduce the sonic influence of speaker vibration.

I did perceive them to work on some speakers back in the day. And in fact when I recently hauled them out I actually tried them again on a pair of small Thiel 02 monitors I own (they were cheaply made box speakers - the box definitely rings!). Simply placed on top of the speakers seemed to change the sound subtly but distinctly - the perception of the higher frequencies changed, like some hash was removed from the signal, but things got a bit more dull sounding (didn't like it).

The effect was so distinct it's takes some force of will to remember it could be sighted bias. On the other hand, adding a significantly large, heavy piece of plastic on top of a speaker seems a plausible way to alter the output wave in some way...audible or not. (And given the lengths legitimate speaker designers go in modelling speaker cabinet shape/thickness/design based on speaker design theory, it seems reasonable on first glance that adding the device could alter the sound to some degree).

RigorDude

I'm in my fifties and my grandfather was a symphony lover when I was a kid. He owned two R2R players and would hunker down to listen to symphony on these players. Here's the thing though: just like cassette, although to a much lesser extent, there was always a hissssss noise floor and I could never figure out why the hissssss noise floor didn't drive him nuts. I've heard many audiophools wax poetic about R2R but always think they are deluded, at least compared to good digital. Hissssssssssssssssss.
I guess gramps must've been an audiophool. So, of your recollection from forty-odd years ago, is there anything apart from the hiss? The hiss is there to be sure - to greater or lesser degrees except with Dolby - but there is also this thing called music on the tape. Do you recall whether that might have sounded different? Or was the hiss too much of a distraction? Also, do you think your HF hearing is the same now as when you ten?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Best I can offer are some Van den Hul cables, from 30 years ago ...
Oooh, wasnt there a stink about them? More so than standard audiophoolery?

Top Bottom