• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For me, hands-down, it's my Yph phono stage:

hero.jpg

hero6.jpg

It gets more comments, questions, than other piece of electronics I own. As a work of living room art, it's great.

As a work of craftmanship, it's great. Hand-made case, point-point-wiring.

As a piece of audio gear, it's crazy. It doesn't fit in a rack. It has no adjustment to cartridge loading or gain. It's output is somewhat anemic. The noise floor is high. Specs would probably be bested by a $50 solid state stage with a wall wart.

But, it's part of my vinyl world, which is already objectively inferior, so I don't worry.

And yours?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have anything exciting to offer other than I guess my Reel to Reel tape deck and tapes I have paid $250 for.

i-276kGfN-XL.jpg

Don't have a full picture of the deck handy but do have this snippet of its meters taken with my cell phone:

i-cSkDFkk-X2.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't have anything exciting to offer other than I guess my Reel to Reel tape deck and tapes I have paid $250 for.

i-276kGfN-XL.jpg

Don't have a full picture of the deck handy but do have this snippet of its meters taken with my cell phone:

I've thought multiple times of getting into R2R (not the DACs), but every time I look at the same price of the media and the maintenance needs of the decks, I slap myself.

But I'll probably get one someday, if I find a Revox. If nothing else, I'll make mix tapes of my LPs.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is an Otrai MX-5050:

otari_mx-5050biii_tape_deck.jpg

It was the last reel to reel still in production. Sadly, they shut down the factory this fall.

I understand the main market for it was radio stations.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
All my stuff is rather utilitarian, unless taken as a whole, then I probably look insane to the average Joe.

I've been considering hooking up my Dad's old shortwave transceiver so I can listen to the BBC as nature intended, if that counts.

I did stick my DAC to the glass shelf with some Blu-tac, so I could push and pull its cables with one hand. I could claim it was to stop vibration, if pressed.

Oh, wait... I'm using the CAST connection from my pre to the monoblocks. Bet nobody else here does that... I guess I spoil it by using Chinese knockoff Lemo's and some 4 conductor phone wire from the snake pit.

fas42

Major Contributor
Best I can offer are some Van den Hul cables, from 30 years ago ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
All my stuff is rather utilitarian, unless taken as a whole, then I probably look insane to the average Joe.

I've been considering hooking up my Dad's old shortwave transceiver so I can listen to the BBC as nature intended, if that counts.

I did stick my DAC to the glass shelf with some Blu-tac, so I could push and pull its cables with one hand. I could claim it was to stop vibration, if pressed.

Oh, wait... I'm using the CAST connection from my pre to the monoblocks. Bet nobody else here does that... I guess I spoil it by using Chinese knockoff Lemo's and some 4 conductor phone wire from the snake pit.
Intresting, I used to fancy using cast during my 5 year krell obsession.. Bought the cables and the amp but never got round to having the cast pre and or CDP.

From anecdotal reports over the years iv got the impression it was worse than the standard balanced connection though.. What do you think Ray?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

CAST?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dang, nothing left to post in way of gear, I feel so left out. :(
Closest I get to anything High End now a days is my Emotiva DC-1 DAC
I do have a subscription to Stereophile if that counts, very audiophool IMHO
120516-4001-600.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Dang, nothing left to post in way of gear, I feel so left out. :(
Closest I get to anything High End now a days is my Emotiva DC-1 DAC
I do have a subscription to Stereophile if that counts, very audiophool IMHO
120516-4001-600.jpg

Stereophile is sane compared to Analog Planet or Audiostream.

Top Bottom