• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Dutch & Dutch 8c in More detail

• Thread starter Deleted member 14468
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 14468

It is a remarkable achievement from a young team!
WoW...

It is a remarkable achievement, but I also think they have a good outlook -- and they were wise enough to get good advice early on. If you watch this first video, you'll see they're being guided by Rolf Dijkstra, who's now their managing director. He has a lot of experience when it comes to running a business -- I witnessed it first-hand when I interviewed him for this.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Lorenzo74

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 14468

Agree. I wonder if you could help explaining to me the dip in the freq response below 100Hz. Even if measured in anechoic room according to speaker specs the rear woofer should be omni right?

Below 150Hz in the chamber, we start bringing "correction" into it because it's only so large a room. You can't get fully accurate bass that low. You also get odd measurement artifacts and I don't know if that's something inherent in the design or in the measurement process. We didn't have a chance to go that deeply into it. D&D *is* introducing a delay from the front to the back to integrate the drivers better, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Stereophile also measured the speaker, and although their measurements aren't nearly as accurate, because they're gated and done in a regular room, as far as I know, they show a couple funky notches. Not sure what that is, though.

In this case, at these low frequencies, only read "so much" into the measurements.

Doug
SoundStage!

Lorenzo74

Below 150Hz in the chamber, we start bringing "correction" into it because it's only so large a room. You can't get fully accurate bass that low. You also get odd measurement artifacts and I don't know if that's something inherent in the design or in the measurement process. We didn't have a chance to go that deeply into it. D&D *is* introducing a delay from the front to the back to integrate the drivers better, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Stereophile also measured the speaker, and although their measurements aren't nearly as accurate, because they're gated and done in a regular room, as far as I know, they show a couple funky notches. Not sure what that is, though.

In this case, at these low frequencies, only read "so much" into the measurements.

Doug
SoundStage!

if you read stereophile review the two funky notches are the correction applied by Kal. unfortunately John Atkinson didn’t remove them before his measurements session but he mention in the review. @Kal Rubinson , am I correct ?
My Best
Lorenzo

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
if you read stereophile review the two funky notches are the correction applied by Kal. unfortunately John Atkinson didn’t remove them before his measurements session but he mention in the review. @Kal Rubinson , am I correct ?
My Best
Lorenzo
Yes. These were inserted from REW measurements in my roon and, consequently, are not inherent in the 8c. JA wrote: "It turned out that I hadn't disabled Kal's parametric EQ settings, which included a 14.75dB-deep notch at 33Hz with a Quality factor (Q) of 10.1 and another notch at 66Hz, this one 5.75dB deep with a Q of 15.6. Turning off these filters gave the expected flat response. "

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I originally ommitted a nearfield splice from my measurements because I was having trouble with the bass summations, but I eventually realized what I was doing wrong (forgot the sub and woofers are DSP time aligned so the sub actually fires before the woofer to compensate for distance). If I got it right this time, the general bass contour should look like this:

8c Splice.png
Not that it really matters, considering you can tune the sub output to your liking in the app and room EQ is such an integral part of this speaker. D&D rates the speaker at +/- 1dB 30Hz to 20kHz and this is very close to that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom