• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The difference between good and great

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let's assume for sake of argument people with normal hearing prefer a neutral sound, which is what the research tells us.
Which is a statistical fact, derived from a (sufficient) number of observations. In other words, the majority of people tested preferred the natural sound, but a minority did prefer a different sound. Hence it's totally OK if @MDAguy prefers another sound, it's just one more observation in the pool of data. For a manufacturer like Harman however, it makes sense to produce speakers that are preferred by a (hopefully large) majority of potential customers. I guess this is why they paid for the research.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Vivaldi's fun listening. Bach is deeper than the deepest ocean.

his genius was insane, no doubt....the counterpoint
Which is a statistical fact, derived from a (sufficient) number of observations. In other words, the majority of people tested preferred the natural sound, but a minority did prefer a different sound. Hence it's totally OK if @MDAguy prefers another sound, it's just one more observation in the pool of data. For a manufacturer like Harman however, it makes sense to produce speakers that are preferred by a (hopefully large) majority of potential customers. I guess this is why they paid for the research.

I would count myself as someone who likes transparency but with more bass! :cool:

Robin L

Master Contributor
OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most common obstacle to great sound (other than recording quality) is the room IME.

No arguments there. Recording quality has also been mentioned. But again for the sake of argument, I'm specifically talking about loudspeakers.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
The most common obstacle to great sound (other than recording quality) is the room IME.

VERY wise words... I think many underestimate the critical importance of the source material... the recording.

And in my case, the room is my next biggest enemy.. thus the arrival of my DG-68 tomorrow! :D

For me, the concept of being an audiophile is the constant chase for that "perfect" transparent sound, as if you are sitting in the auditorium while they're recording the music.

MDAguy

Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
VERY wise words... I think many underestimate the critical importance of the source material... the recording.

And in my case, the room is my next biggest enemy.. thus the arrival of my DG-68 tomorrow! :D

For me, the concept of being an audiophile is the constant chase for that "perfect" transparent sound, as if you are sitting in the auditorium while they're recording the music.

I actually thought everybody knew that recording and room were way at the top of the list. ;)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No arguments there. Recording quality has also been mentioned. But again for the sake of argument, I'm specifically talking about loudspeakers.

Sure :) But I’m not convinced that there are great-measuring speakers, optimally set up in a well-designed room, that won’t sound great according to the criteria (essentially, neutrality) that you specified.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
I actually thought everybody knew that recording and room were way at the top of the list. ;)

dude, on the forums I hang out at, many think their cables make a huge SQ difference, don't take anything for granted.. lol

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure :) But I’m not convinced that there are great-measuring speakers, optimally set up in a well-designed room, that won’t sound great according to the criteria (essentially, neutrality) that you specified.

The question though is what happens if something that perhaps measures a little bit worse, ends up, for some reason, sounding a little better. Just wondering about other people's experiences.

I've had it happen one or two times, in different rooms, with different speakers. As someone who believes in the research, it seems contradictory, yet it's what I experienced despite my bias (knowing the measurements).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The question though is what happens if something that perhaps measures a little bit worse, ends up, for some reason, sounding a little better. Just wondering about other people's experiences.

I've had it happen one or two times, in different rooms, with different speakers. As someone who believes in the research, it seems contradictory, yet it's what I experienced despite my bias (knowing the measurements).

Ok, sorry, that is clearer now.

I do think the behaviour of a speaker in a room is a fairly complex thing. My first question would be: did you have this experience listening to two different speakers in the same room, with the worse-measuring one being preferred? And if that's the case, what were the measured differences? Could it not be that your weighting of the measurements, i.e. that resulted in your conclusion that one measured better than the other, was just a bit off? Or that your preferences are significantly different from the Harman-trained listener average?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While I tend to agree on the one hand, on the other hand I've had plenty of good sound and similarly measuring speakers sound more different than I would have expected from the measurements alone, even when matched in the bass range.

I have been wondering about this for a while. I have some KEF Q300 speakers ($600) that I have lived with for 5 years after having had Dynaudio Sapphires ($16,000) for the previous 5 years (I got out of the audio obsession) Quite frankly, a lot of times, I really like the sound of the KEFs (with a sub) and wonder why I ever bought the Sapphires.

As a result, my theory is that, at some point, the differences among well-engineered speakers become very small (i.e., point of diminishing returns). At that point, the better speaker is the one that plays specific tracks in specific rooms better. It is entirely possible that a slight tilt up or down in frequency response actually works with or against the room or recording and makes them sound better or worse.

I also think that most recordings are pretty mediocre (at least the ones I listen to). And I don't think any speaker can address that. And better speakers might make it a bit worse.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first question would be: did you have this experience listening to two different speakers in the same room, with the worse-measuring one being preferred? And if that's the case, what were the measured differences? Could it not be that your weighting of the measurements, i.e. that resulted in your conclusion that one measured better than the other,was just a bit off?

One occasion was the Neumann KH80 against the Genelec G2, the latter I've recently measured in detail. Having compared them to the factory measurements I dare to say I'm not far off reality. I listened to them (mono) in a large auditorium, timbrally they weren't miles apart. I can't say I preferred one over the other in this aspect. The G2 however simply had a larger, more spacious quality to it. The KH80 sounded 'smaller' with a more noticable shift in timbre as I moved off-axis. There is little to nothing however in the measurements that supports or explains that experience.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

could be a number of reasons really. Maybe the good old cognitive bias of liking the way the "worse" speaker looks. Maybe speaker positioning (which is kind of a black art really) comes into play - just got lucky and sat the speaker that measures worse in a spot that happens to perfectly suit it. Maybe you're in a better frame of mind the day you hear the lesser speaker compared to when you heard the better one.

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
could be a number of reasons really. Maybe the good old cognitive bias of liking the way the "worse" speaker looks. Maybe speaker positioning (which is kind of a black art really) comes into play - just got lucky and sat the speaker that measures worse in a spot that happens to perfectly suit it. Maybe you're in a better frame of mind the day you hear the lesser speaker compared to when you heard the better one.

Except (see above) one of these experiences was a large auditorium with two very similar speakers - theywere many meters away from the nearest boundaries. and positioned next to each other. In-room measurements didn't show anything but neglectible differences with regards to position.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been pondering over this question for a while now

Being quite familiar (for a person without a background in audio from a technical pov) with the known research, obviously we want to tick all the boxes. Neutral direct sound, excellent directivity properties, lack of resonances, lack of distortion, etc.. The whole package.

What makes good and what makes great I wonder? "It depends" is very likely the answer, as with most things.
Without quoting specific posts. I've read (sometimes heated) discussions over budget loudspeakers with good measurements sounding less good than more expensive models with similar numbers, to which distortion is often brought up. On the other hand, we've also had (sometimes heated) arguments about that aspect when a loudspeakers with non-exemplary distortion numbers is perceived as audibly good, or great even. While sighted bias is often a factor, this is not always the case.

Another recent example, to which we're still awaiting Amir's review, is the JBL 4349. Harman's spinorama was posted in the thread, and while good, on paper it's not spectacular. Yet it would seem odd to me, that they would release a loudspeaker in this price range that didn't go through the blind test protocol. We weren't dazzled with the numbers however.

The Revel Salon2, while producing excellent measurements, technically speaking has been surpassed by several models from Revel themselves, as well as other manufacturers. I've yet to hear to read about anyone not favoring the Salon2 compared to those other Revel models though, apart Harman marketing.

Have any of you ever had experiences where the, technically speaking, better loudspeaker left you less satisfied in a direct comparison, and that beyond suspicion, there are no hard facts as to why this is? Or have the listening experiences always followed suit.

Where exactly are we with regards to the research? What have those +100 measurements and reviews told us so far?

I think a lot about this quote from Dr. Toole's book, and it's fundamental to my perspective on speaker reviews:

"How do listeners approach the problem of judging sound quality? Most likely the dimensions and criteria of subjective evaluation are traceable to a lifetime accumulation of experiences with live sound, even simple conversation. If we hear things in reproduced sound that do not occur in nature, or that defy some kind of perceptual logic, we seem to be able to identify it. By that standard, the best sounding audio product is the one that exhibits the fewest audible flaws. Perhaps this is how we are able to make such insightful comments about sound quality based on recordings that either had no existence as a “live” performance, or that we have no personal experience with."

Emphasis mine.

Most audio reviews and impressions tend to be written in an additive sense. Before reading Dr Toole's book, that's how I approached things too. I thought the best product would be the most euphoric, the one at which I could throw the most positive adjectives. "Transparent," "like a live concert," "the most detailed treble," "the smoothest midrange I've heard," "I heard things I'd never heard before," It plays well with the naive misconception that more expensive products have to sound better. But I think there's a rough limit to how "good" or "real" a speaker can sound, after which the best you can do is "different."

So now I think of things differently. If the best speakers are the ones with the fewest audible flaws me that means the ones least likely to break the illusion of real music. So when I think about products I'd consider to be among the best I've heard over extended listening, like the D&D 8C, I think of the products that do everything right.

For example, the Neumann KH80 is a fantastic speaker, but compared to the 8C, its obvious flaws are bass extension and SPL handling. Inevitably, those flaws will make themselves known when I try to play music with lots of bass loudly. And without very good room correction, the 8C automatiaclly beats everything else I've heard by virtue of having such controlled room interaction built in.

Basically, I'm not looking for something to blow my mind, just for something that doesn't break my suspension of disbelief.

I think it's made me a better audiophile, honestly. Instead of looking for speakers that deliver audio nirvana, I look for the speakers that most let me just listen to the music without the distraction of something sounding "off." The best a speaker can really do, after all, is just sound convincingly real.

All the measurements in the world will never tell you if you'll like the sound or not.

I strongly disagree with this. Perhaps my perspective is different because I get to listen to and measure more speakers in my own home than the average person but I can very much get a good idea of how much I'll like a speaker based on comprehensive measurements alone.

I do measure after listening, but in cases where measurements are already available correlating impressions with the data is really feels like second nature at this point. And 99 percent of time impressions can be explained by Frequency respnose, Directivity, and power output.

The one thing I sometimes have trouble fully quantifying is "dynamics," but that's more likely simply because dynamics can be a combination of multiple measurable factors (distortion, compression, directivity, maybe other stuff).

I think it's just a matter of having the right measurements and knowing how to interpret them based on your preferences and listening environment. And I do not think the relationship between measurements and sound is so complicated that they can't be understood by the average audio enthusiast.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One occasion was the Neumann KH80 against the Genelec G2, the latter I've recently measured in detail. Having compared them to the factory measurements I dare to say I'm not far off reality. I listened to them (mono) in a large auditorium, timbrally they weren't miles apart. I can't say I preferred one over the other in this aspect. The G2 however simply had a larger, more spacious quality to it. The KH80 sounded 'smaller' with a more noticable shift in timbre as I moved off-axis. There is little to nothing however in the measurements that supports or explains that experience.

In your measurements, the G2s appear to have a bit of a smiley-face response, with in particular a bit of a bass boost.

Could this be something that you prefer in general? Or could it be that, because the auditorium was large and the speakers small, the speaker with a bit of bass boost was perceived as better-sounding because this compensated to some extent for the lack of bass reinforcement that you would normally experience in a small room? Could it be that your listening SPL in that auditorium was low, so a slight smiley-face response functioned as equal-loudness compensation?

Just throwing up ideas here...

OP
TimVG

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In your measurements, the G2s appear to have a bit of a smiley-face response, with in particular a bit of a bass boost.

Could this be something that you prefer in general? Or could it be that, because the auditorium was large and the speakers small, the speaker with a bit of bass boost was perceived as better-sounding because this compensated to some extent for the lack of bass reinforcement that you would normally experience in a small room? Could it be that your listening SPL in that auditorium was low, so a slight smiley-face response functioned as equal-loudness compensation?

Just throwing up ideas here...

Anecdote: In the past I've spent countless of hours measuring, tweaking curves, remeasuring .. until what bothered me about a particular speaker (some commercial, some of my own hand) went away. For instance on my Revel F206 I spent hours tweaking the curve, trying to make semi-anechoic measurements to improve it, which I did. Some of the things that I corrected, because they bothered me in that speaker, don't seem to bother me at all in that little G2.

I don't believe I'm very attracted to a smiley face response curve, my bigger Genelecs don't feature it for sure - yet somehow the G2s as surrounds to them feel more coherent than the Performa3 set I had before - I feel as if there must be a logical explanation.

tuga

Major Contributor
I've been pondering over this question for a while now

Being quite familiar (for a person without a background in audio from a technical pov) with the known research, obviously we want to tick all the boxes. Neutral direct sound, excellent directivity properties, lack of resonances, lack of distortion, etc.. The whole package.

What makes good and what makes great I wonder? "It depends" is very likely the answer, as with most things.
Without quoting specific posts. I've read (sometimes heated) discussions over budget loudspeakers with good measurements sounding less good than more expensive models with similar numbers, to which distortion is often brought up. On the other hand, we've also had (sometimes heated) arguments about that aspect when a loudspeakers with non-exemplary distortion numbers is perceived as audibly good, or great even. While sighted bias is often a factor, this is not always the case.

Another recent example, to which we're still awaiting Amir's review, is the JBL 4349. Harman's spinorama was posted in the thread, and while good, on paper it's not spectacular. Yet it would seem odd to me, that they would release a loudspeaker in this price range that didn't go through the blind test protocol. We weren't dazzled with the numbers however.

The Revel Salon2, while producing excellent measurements, technically speaking has been surpassed by several models from Revel themselves, as well as other manufacturers. I've yet to hear to read about anyone not favoring the Salon2 compared to those other Revel models though, apart Harman marketing.

Have any of you ever had experiences where the, technically speaking, better loudspeaker left you less satisfied in a direct comparison, and that beyond suspicion, there are no hard facts as to why this is? Or have the listening experiences always followed suit.

Where exactly are we with regards to the research? What have those +100 measurements and reviews told us so far?

Performance is defined by topology.

For a convential frontal radiation monopole box speaker that means number of ways; size, position and material of drivers; crossover; baffle/waveguides; enclosure construction, size and type (closed/ported).

Price and brand name play a small part. The 4349 are revivalist speakers aimed at a specific audience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom