• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michelin Guide bistro offers a slice of Genelec

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now I feel like going to a restaurant. Currently I'm only 150 kilometers from Oslo, so going there is no problem for me but I suspect it's a rather expensive restaurant. Sure really good food...and sound...but expensive.:)

What do you think of this speaker system:

villaheftye Villa Heftye opts for an atmospheric soundscape with the aid of Genelec’s 4000 series

Norway - When dining at a Michelin Guide restaurant, the focus isn’t usually on the audio - more often everyone’s eyes are focused on the plates of well-crafted food. However, Villa Heftye - a laid-back bistro in the heart of Oslo - recently took the focus away from revamping its ever-changing seasonal menu to renovate its listed restaurant with a custom Genelec sound system.

Villa Heftye began life as a bank back in 1864. Commissioned by Jorgen Haslev Heftye and designed by Norwegian architect Georg Andreas Bull, it was bought in 2018 by local investor Runar Vatne for NOK 80 million. In 2021 the villa became restaurant Villa Heftye, an elegant yet casual bistro with an emphasis on French-inspired cuisine that uses seasonal Nordic ingredients.

"The brief was to build an audio system with the best possible sound," begins Henning Dyngvold, founder of Appletify who installed the new Genelec system. "The loudspeakers had to look good and complement the design of the restaurant. Villa Heftye is located in a listed building and is also in the Michelin Guide, so the system that we installed had to maintain this high quality. It had to be Genelec."

The system comprises 16 Genelec 4020 installation loudspeakers, along with eight of the larger 4030 models, two powerful 4040 models and two AIW26 active in-wall loudspeakers. This was the combination needed to ensure Villa Heftye could accommodate live performances, while also offering an ambient background soundtrack for diners. "The 4020s were chosen for their compact size and the 4030s and 4040s for their powerful performance at a high event volume. All of this together has given Villa Heftye a crystal-clear audio atmosphere," says Dyngvold.

Genelec’s 4000 series offers premium performance, a choice of 120 RAL colours and round-the-clock reliability, says the manufacturer. “The 4020 is compact and can squeeze into any installation, whereas the 4030 is the natural choice for small- to medium-sized commercial installations. The largest of the family, the 4040 is designed for environments which require higher playback levels.”

Dyngvold continues: "Since the building is listed, we had to take extra care where we were physically placing the loudspeakers. The 4000 series was the perfect choice because the loudspeakers are available in different sizes and custom colours - and there is also a wide range of mounting accessories - which meant we could place them discreetly in the restaurant, without affecting the overall sound. As they’re active designs, they’re also incredibly easy to look after and control. You don’t have to find room for external amplifiers, which is especially important in a building like Villa Heftye where aesthetics are important and space is at a premium."

Villa Heftye is split into four main rooms. The first three are each equipped with four 4020s and the fourth has four 4030s plus two AIW26 in-wall loudspeakers. Control comes from an Allen & Heath AHM 64 audio matrix processor. "Villa Heftye wanted a sound that felt relaxing for their customers," explains Dyngvold. "The AIW26 active in-wall speakers were intended to be used together with the 4030s when there is an artist playing live. In fact, the restaurant now leaves them on all of the time because it gives the background music a warm feeling and improves directivity, making the sound more precise - both at low volume and at event level."

The walls of Villa Heftye are covered with a rich red fabric which improves the sound and style of the system and adds to the restaurant’s aesthetics. The fabric reduces the sound reflections in the room, resulting in a smooth, ambient atmosphere in which the music is clear without overpowering dinner table conversation.
Dyngvold concludes: "It sounds amazing and it’s all thanks to Genelec’s excellent product range. We were able to meet the client’s needs thanks to the quality and versatility of the brand. The restaurant has some of the most talented local chefs, and now its Nordic neighbour Genelec has added to the quality that people have come to expect from the Michelin Guide bistro."

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm torn. Good on them for installing quality audio. But the background noise would ruin it for me.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perhaps they will use plastic cutlery to avoid the distracting clinking noise on their high-end plates...or paper plates perhaps...

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'm torn. Good on them for installing quality audio. But the background noise would ruin it for me.
One might wonder what the purpose really is? It's probably just harmless elevator/background music played at a low volume at the , those canteens.Thus, that sound solution is in practice unnecessarily overkill.:oops:

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps they will use plastic cutlery to avoid the distracting clinking noise on their high-end plates...or paper plates perhaps...
I'm thinking each table will be equipped with a Cone of Silence for serious listening.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I hate background music when dining in a restaurant.
But it must be nice for the staff to be able to put on a lot of volume when cleaning the canteens.:cool::p You can also have the coolest staff parties with music.

They may rent out parts of the restaurant for staff parties, or the volume is turned up high in the evenings in the bar section of the restaurant? :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate background music when dining in a restaurant.
I tend to agree. If it's loud enough for serious listening, you can no longer have a conversation.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One might wonder what the purpose really is? It's probably just harmless elevator/background music played at a low volume at the , those canteens.Thus, that sound solution is in practice unnecessarily overkill.:oops:
It would be really overkill if they had mounted some 1236 :p like they did in the G Livelab which I hope to visit one day

genelec_glivelab_website.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be really overkill if they had mounted some 1236 :p like they did in the G Livelab which I hope to visit one day

All hope of conversation is gone.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

mr-bean.gif

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Orders taken by sign language.

ChrisG

I'm a little confused by their use of 5" 2-way speakers for "live events". They can't be adding much SPL, so I'm wondering if it's:
- Really quiet
- Just used for spreading the live sound to other rooms.
- Both

Chris

Top Bottom