• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla video about their audio engineering

Svend P

We had the same sub in the spare tire :D what is that, a 6"?
Yes, in a plastic enclosure. I tried replacing it with the SB, but the speakers in the doors also play the deepest bass, and I couldn't get enough power to it with the inbuilt amplifier, so I gave up on the project. Well, I drove around with the SB for a while, until one day I realized it didn't add anything.

20210404_102241.jpg

CapMan

Major Contributor
Had a similar experience. Drove a Model Y for a few hours, and the hushed effect of the cabin plus the presence of boom from the suspension was really annoying.
Furthermore, the power delivery is poorly managed. It looks like a video game where the accelerator is on or off (at least compared to ICE cars).
The two things combined made me nauseous even though I was the driver. The passengers were even worse off.
However, when stationary I was able to appreciate the audio system, but nothing more engineered than the competition. On the contrary...
Maybe buying a model Y is a cheaper option than building a
Dedicated listening room

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW we have a Volvo with the B&W system , as car stereos go it pretty good. The DSP settings are useful - selecting ‘driver’ is like having monitors on the dash either side of the steering wheel :)
Recent generation Volvo's have great audio systems. I did a test drive in an XC90 once and I was very impressed. Probably one of the best after @GXAlan's BMW.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
We had a Dynaudio system in our VW Tiguan. Not bad, but the retail price was atrocious.

Also have the Dynaudio system in my Tiguan but it came with the car and I didn't pay extra for it, disability/motability vehicle that someone had ordered but changed their mind two weeks before delivery and I happened to enquire in the VW dealership at the right time as it was sat on their books at the end of the month so got a very good deal on the Motability downpayment. Motability is a uk charity that takes an amount from your government disability benefits to enable the lease of a car/electric wheelchair etc.

It's ok, sounds decent when sat stationary but as soon as you start driving the road noise transmitted into the cabin from 20" wheels with 255/40 section tyres negates any possible audio improvement especially on UK roads which are typically utter shite.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
I have a Model 3 with the premium sound system. It's remarkably good considering you're sitting in a glass box but nothing like listening to a real HiFi system. Exceptionally clear with good bass but no real sense of space or sound sound stage. You need to pay £10 per month to get premium connectivity if you want to use Spotify, Tidal etc to their full extent. You can download Tidal "HiFi" files to the car for higher fidelity playback but, to be honest, I can't really tell the difference. Overall I think it's the best car sound system I've ever had.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that it looks a bit weird (as video recordings of computer monitors often do. Try watching it in slow motion though and I think you can see how it's not edited in post (except for global adjustments like exposure, saturation etc). The way the arm in front of the monitor is obstructing the graph is way too realistic as the skin color of the defocused arm is discoloring the purple graph. That's not a simple rotoscoping job.

Watching on a tablet helps, as you can zoom into the video on the App.
On further investigation, I'm also not so sure anymore. It may be real after all o_O

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recent generation Volvo's have great audio systems. I did a test drive in an XC90 once and I was very impressed. Probably one of the best after @GXAlan's BMW.

Thanks. My BMW is a 6 Gran Turismo G32 with an Audiotec Fischer DSP amp.

The XC90 with B&W does use Dirac Unison which is the super-version of Dirac ART which is made possible by knowing seat positions and speaker positions.

BJL

I have a Model 3 with the premium sound system. It's remarkably good considering you're sitting in a glass box but nothing like listening to a real HiFi system. Exceptionally clear with good bass but no real sense of space or sound sound stage. You need to pay £10 per month to get premium connectivity if you want to use Spotify, Tidal etc to their full extent. You can download Tidal "HiFi" files to the car for higher fidelity playback but, to be honest, I can't really tell the difference. Overall I think it's the best car sound system I've ever had.
Mostly agree with the above. Certainly the best OEM car sound system I've had. They seem to use some version of the old equal loudness curve, which has the effect of nice sound quality whether playing softer or louder, something that I appreciate as I prefer moderate listening levels when driving for situational awareness (emergency vehicles, etc.) I have found that the particular version of the audio system in my car (a very recent Y) does provide a decent stereo image from the driver's seat. And as pointed out, remarkably good considering that it is a glass box.

Top Bottom