• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 283 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 175 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Most of us wouldn't knew this level of incompetence was possible without the Streisand'ing,

Give Erin a break, he tested second-hand speakers sent to him in that condition, iirc. An easy thing to miss if you haven’t come across it before, rather than serious incompetence.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Eric opened a can worms with this one, lol. Feels like Monster Cable minus the cash...

DSJR

Major Contributor
I made comments earlier about a hugely popular (for us) TDL cheapie, the RTL2. I found the HiFi News review with plots, written by Peter Comeau no less and if you look closely, the response is a bit of a hill and dale affair. I knew the designer at the time and the 3kHz bump I think was deliberate for this design. He suggested changing the series tweeter cap to reduce said 'bump' but when I did, the tweeter didn't seem to integrate as well (I suspect dispersion was changed for the worse in doing this, but I knew little of this effect back then)

These RTL2's would be in the UK much the same price as the Mini Lore is in the US if adjusted for inflation and for general domestic use rather than pro monitoring for music or general editing, I can make allowances. What put me off the original RTL2 was the vinyl wrap finish which was tolerable in black but pretty ghastly in 'rosewood.' The SE version tarted up the visuals no end but the sound went off due to a competing Acoustic Energy model with 5dB drop to the tweeter but still a 5* review in the popular rag of the time...

Sonny1

Yikes! I took a little break from this place and missed all the fireworks. Saw Erin’s cryptic YouTube video thanking fans for the support and hinting at some drama but I had no idea what it was. For a second, I thought it was something controversial like measuring tube connectors, fancy caps or cables. I never would have guessed it was speakers.

We live in interesting times.

thegeton

Forum Donor
How many hours of labor do you think it will take for him to make a Golden Egg example of the same speaker in question and measure it to get it just exactly perfect. I'm guessing the new video will not come out for some time. Just a guess.

always a hoot.

Good point.

Back when I worked in high tech, for an 'at that time' reputable company, we used objective testing combined with statistical methods to select review candidates. It would have been highly unethical to create them. That said, it wasn't out of the ordinary for our competitors to do so. Happened all the time.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And yet, most people didn't listen did they? They stuck them on stands, halfway out into a room... :facepalm:
Ya buy them books, send them to school, and what do they do ?
Eat the teacher. :p

Just can't fix stupid John. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How many hours of labor do you think it will take for him to make a Golden Egg example of the same speaker in question and measure it to get it just exactly perfect. I'm guessing the new video will not come out for some time.
He also has to first buy the measurement gear and learn to use it. ;)

thegeton

Forum Donor
He also has to first buy the measurement gear and learn to use it. ;)

Was just perusing the 12-15 video titles available on the Tekton Design YouTube channel. Based on the time between said videos it will probably take him about 6 months to create the video alone. Adding the time to buy the measurement gear, learn to use it, create a Golden Sample Mini Lore, and then test it, then fix it and retest it, I would say we're looking at another 6 months. So maybe a year out from any meaningful response.

Best to get some lawn chairs and a cooler assembled under a shade tree. We're going to be here awhile. :cool:

Theta

If that were true (it’s not) then how do you explain the excellent results for Perlisten, and results for JBL CBT70?
I don't see any concentric tweeter array on the speakers you mentionned.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went all-in on my investments in popcorn.

I think by now the motive is thus. The timing of reopening this is not IMO coincidental. He’s stirring up shit to get buzz around his speakers at Axpona next week. Maybe he’s worried that his speakers will not be attractive or good-sounding to show-goers but a controversy will fill his room. Don’t be surprised if there’s not a peep from the guy in two weeks.

(All personal impressions based on said actor’s conduct here.)

USER

Forum Donor
I think by now the motive is thus. The timing of reopening this is not IMO coincidental. He’s stirring up shit to get buzz around his speakers at Axpona next week. Maybe he’s worried that his speakers will not be attractive or good-sounding to show-goers but a controversy will fill his room. Don’t be surprised if there’s not a peep from the guy in two weeks.

(All personal impressions based on said actor’s conduct here.)
I think you are making him out to be much more clever than he is. To me it's the opposite. Erin's review came out right before Axpona and he freaked out. People will be looking out for Erin's descriptions and what the measurements say --they will find them both because it's all true and because of the way the brain works, the latter of which generally is what marketing takes advantage of by tipping things in its favor. People will be clamoring to listen to them! I would! This is likely why some speakers were removed from the site. I'd be surprised if he takes them to Axpona. What could be worse for him than everyone realizing firsthand that he is dead wrong and they are not "linear?" and, worse still, Amir and Erin know what they are doing?

Now one question is if Erin can get a complete review up before Axpona, but likely the stall tactic worked.

Last edited:

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Erici, Understand that Amir claims to an "electrical engineer by degree and hobby". He's an electrical engineer. Loudspeakers are electro-acoustic devices and the moment the 'electricity' passes the voice coil in a loudspeaker he's [Amir] working in the realm of acoustical physics, and entirely different branch of physics. Can you see where I'm going here...??
I can see where you're going. It's a logical fallacy called Credentialism, in which someone believes that the person with greater training, education, or knowledge is automatically right, while the person with less of these traits is automatically wrong. Not only is it ridiculously flawed logic, you aren't even presenting an argument at all - just a rejection and negation of someone's claim. It is literally no more sophisticated an argument than a child shouting "It is not!" What I find most exciting is the effect it is having here. This crew will argue about EVERYTHING. We will scream and call each other names in discussions about tweeter materials and crossovers and where to set a high pass filter and on and on and on, as if we were debating the causes of world hunger. I cannot recall a single thread in which we were more unified than in our utter disrespect and dismissal of your comments. Congratulations.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a logical fallacy called Credentialism,

If there is credence to the more credentialed person being right, then that credentialed person should be able to explain why the claims in question are wrong.

As everyone keeps pointing out, that's exactly what is missing.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a very recent review of Tekton's high end ($30k) Moab loudspeakers in Stereophile.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-moab-be-loudspeaker
The reviewer owns a pair of an earlier version of these loudspeakers. There are measurements. Perhaps someone who is good at interpreting the data could comment.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's all in the tone of the review anyway... JA never directly says something isn't great. Quoting JA

Tekton

The Moab Be's measured performance suggests that with care in setup it will offer a neutral sonic balance.

Speaker A

Overall, <speaker A> demonstrates impressively good measured performance.

Speaker B

But within the inevitable limitations of the measurement procedure, the <speaker B> performance suggests superb speaker engineering.

Speaker C

I've come to expect superb measured performance from XXXXXXXXX and his team at XXXX, and the <speaker C> delivered. This is modern loudspeaker engineering at its best.

Spot the difference ;)

from my limited understanding of the measurements, I believe the Tekton will be very present sonically.

Top Bottom