• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer oopsy! Will my Sub be okay?

theman222

Hello will my Subwoofer be okay?

Hello! I made a big stupid mistake and kinda wrecked my RCA port on my new expesive subwoofer. The port itself fell out. The interesting thing about the port is that its basically two metal prongs connected to the ring (the circle with the red indicator to show you what it actually is). I plugged in the metal prongs where it use to be and it made a nice click sound. I plugged my rca cable in and it works! At least I think, I threw ever frequency I could and it sounds heavenly.

My question is, will it be fine like this? Or will the sub die if its not just "right"?

Thanks everyone. Here is a hilarious photo of my mistake

Attachments

• IMG_1824.jpeg
    IMG_1824.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 129

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you are okay with the result. Not sure how you got an rca port to just "fall out", tho

ps or what sub would have such a poor port unless you did something odd....

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The outer ring sometimes helps with grounding. You often can just push the thing back in without trouble. One of my old Bose 901 Equalizers had the external ring come out when my too tight Monster Cable turbine connectors pulled it out.

OP
T

theman222

The outer ring sometimes helps with grounding. You often can just push the thing back in without trouble. One of my old Bose 901 Equalizers had the external ring come out when my too tight Monster Cable turbine connectors pulled it out.
The red ring (piece of red plastic) fell out of it and wont go back into the metal piece. I basically just placed the metal part back in and it worked. Im guessing the missing red part is okay? oh well! Nice to hear someone had this happen, but like not nice bc its not fun when it happens

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The red ring (piece of red plastic) fell out of it and wont go back into the metal piece. I basically just placed the metal part back in and it worked. Im guessing the missing red part is okay? oh well! Nice to hear someone had this happen, but like not nice bc its not fun when it happens
Monster had a particular issue with too-tight connectors.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
basically, I was moving it aroubd my room trying to find the right spot. Next thing I know... oops

IF you can put your sub in the listening position(like in the seat itself), or close enough that the room modes measure the same, you can do a sub crawl by moving a mic around your room instead of the subwoofer itself, which is a lot less work. Either with REW or even a phone app can be enough to identify nulls and peaks.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Those RCA sockets, have two screws in the middle of them, so they may be on a little daughter board, which might make it quite easy to fix.

Might be worth looking into. Possibly ask the manufacturer.

OP
T

theman222

Those RCA sockets, have two screws in the middle of them, so they may be on a little daughter board, which might make it quite easy to fix.

Might be worth looking into. Possibly ask the manufacturer.
Thank you, I will for now keep it simple and let it be, wont touch it and let em go brrrr! If I run into any issues ill be sure to do some inspection on a board switch. For now, im rockin out to some tunes and making the foundations of my house sound like they are gonna fall. All good!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What sub? Are you doing LFE from an AVR for home theater or something else? Usually the “.1” is just using the left input anyway?

Top Bottom