• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 - Keep disconnecting on my computer (overheating issue?)

Disorder

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to apologize if this isn't the right category for help with a DAC issue.

I've had a Topping E30/L30 combo for over 3 years now and I'm perfectly happy, not wanting to upgrade anymore. Unfortunately, since yesterday, when my PC was under strain (playing a big game so high temperature), my DAC ended up disconnecting and it was no longer possible for me to reconnect it (it finds the USB but it shut down, leaving a small LED on). All my other devices was working (mouse, keyboard, microphone) but not the DAC. When I tried it today, the DAC was working but it took me a lot of time that it remains connected and now it's working but disconnect when I try to play to a game.

- I don't use USB to power it, it's plugged into the wall socket and it works well when I'm not playing with big games.
- I changed the USB-B/A cable to see if it's not because of the cable but same issue (going to buy an another cable just in case since it was my usb-b from my printer).
- I tried on an another USB port and same issue.
- I quickly tried to plug my DAC on my laptop when I was in game and I got the same issue

So my suspicions are :

- My E30 is dying and switches off when overheated (so... DAC issue?)
- my USB ports on my motherboard are dying (but my others devices was working)
- My new PSU that I changed last week is faulty (but it's able to supply my others device parts without issue - it's an high-end PSU, Thermaltake ToughPower PF1 1050W Platinum)

Thanks in advance if you can help me, I don't mind to change a piece but I can't afford to change everything especially when I'm not sure about it.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had those many times. The power they need is 5 volts max and 450ma when I measured the last one. If you have optical out I'd use that and power it with a reliable charger that's normal and not a fast charger. Windows most recent update enabled power management on USB ports, even if you disabled it. Go to device manager and on all USB hubs and ports, uncheck the power management tab. For my gaming system I prefer optical since it eliminates interference and video card coil whine for a lower noise floor.

OP
D

Disorder

I've had those many times. The power they need is 5 volts max and 450ma when I measured the last one. If you have optical out I'd use that and power it with a reliable charger that's normal and not a fast charger. Windows most recent update enabled power management on USB ports, even if you disabled it. Go to device manager and on all USB hubs and ports, uncheck the power management tab. For my gaming system I prefer optical since it eliminates interference and video card coil whine for a lower noise floor.

Many thanks !!! I also had a similar issue with my keyboard, it was typing without touching it and I needed to change the USB port, I thought it was because of the USB generation (3.0) or because of the USB priority. I just plugged the 5V cable on the first and same line than my keyboard and the issue disappeared, going to try in game to confirm it. It seems like that Windows uses power management only on the 3.0 ports so I understand why the issue is solved on my 2.0 ports.

Also, could you give me a link for an optical charger? I don't really know what is it and I'd love to avoid using my computer to supply the DAC.

Again, you have no idea how grateful I am and I can't thank you enough. Thanks!

EDIT : It works even in game, thank you !!!

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ken did a big comparison with measurements on chargers to show the best ones:

Samsung ETA0U60JBE and the real Apple charger did the best along with one other. You can get the Samsung ones on eBay, but the Apple ones they made so many fakes of those, I'd just get them from the Apple store on Amazon or direct (not a reseller there, they sell fakes too).

Amazon basics has the best optical cable if you have that output on your system already.
If you need USB to optical I use this one:
Inexpensive and sounds really good, never had a problem with audible jitter or compatibility. I use it for testing all the DACs I get in for function and works well.

Top Bottom