• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subs for Atc Scm50sl

galileon

hello Guys,
I am struggling because have to add two subs to my 50s. I have heard atc c6 ones and they impressed me by clarity and how good the lowend was represented with combo of 50s. Unfortunatelly those act subs are way over my budget. I am living europe so this is more difficult to test some alternatives. I am considering to build diy sealed subs and use drivers i have dayton rss 15. Another option is to purchase some svs, jl e112 or rythmik kit. I am thinking on to take 12 inch rythmik as everywhere they are praised a lot. My room is average and i am not listening to loud. I have experience how to measure and tune speakers so i think more important for me is to find the best construction not for milions. Any advice here is welcome. I am using system for hobby music mixing and editing. Thank U

dfuller

Major Contributor
I can say I love my Rythmik F12. A pair should keep up nicely with the SCM50s.

OP
G

galileon

hi
Yea, but here in europe is very hard to get one. :( so the best option will be to look for some european supplier.
I have tries svs and they are very badly made, mine had faulty amps, woofers etc. so sent back.
Some are telling me to try rel ht1205 or simiar model .. hmm i am lost :)
R.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hello Guys,
I am struggling because have to add two subs to my 50s. I have heard atc c6 ones and they impressed me by clarity and how good the lowend was represented with combo of 50s. Unfortunatelly those act subs are way over my budget. I am living europe so this is more difficult to test some alternatives. I am considering to build diy sealed subs and use drivers i have dayton rss 15. Another option is to purchase some svs, jl e112 or rythmik kit. I am thinking on to take 12 inch rythmik as everywhere they are praised a lot. My room is average and i am not listening to loud. I have experience how to measure and tune speakers so i think more important for me is to find the best construction not for milions. Any advice here is welcome. I am using system for hobby music mixing and editing. Thank U
Is the dayton driver the HO or HE?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
hi
Yea, but here in europe is very hard to get one. :( so the best option will be to look for some european supplier.
I have tries svs and they are very badly made, mine had faulty amps, woofers etc. so sent back.
Some are telling me to try rel ht1205 or simiar model .. hmm i am lost :)
R.
HT 1205 seems a good choice. Wharfedale has some affordable 12" if you can afford listen to some Martin Logan subs. I would look at closed not ported ones.BK electronics has many subs and come with good heavy boxes.

Everett T

Forum Donor
HT 1205 seems a good choice. Wharfedale has some affordable 12" if you can afford listen to some Martin Logan subs. I would look at closed not ported ones.BK electronics has many subs and come with good heavy boxes.
Without knowing his room size and distance from the MLP, it's hard to recommend sealed or ported. Also would need to know what type of roll off the ATC speakers have, not gonna assume 24db per, in order to blend with the sub the symmetrically.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Without knowing his room size and distance from the MLP, it's hard to recommend sealed or ported. Also would need to know what type of roll off the ATC speakers have, not gonna assume 24db per, in order to blend with the sub the symmetrically.
Scm50 is a ported design adding two more ported subs is not a good idea imho. I like sealed subs with good enough extension better.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Scm50 is a ported design adding two more ported subs is not a good idea imho. I like sealed subs with good enough extension better.
I get that it's ported, it could still be 18db vs 24db in its roll off. Subs with selectable roll offs are ideal, but not all do.

The room size issue is important as a small sealed sub is gonna see the whole room and getting one that can keep up in a large room could get expensive

My main point is and was, we need more information to be able to really help. He might be able to utilize the driver he has, but more info is still needed about it.

OP
G

galileon

hi
my room is around 6x7m but this is attic. Its heavily treated but of course because of slants i have some issues about fr. Speakers are ported and go rougthly to 30hz but as they are SL specs the lowend is very undistorted and seems like unadiable. I am using them in near field. What i need from subs is to fill this lowened with as much as possible. not coloured and fast manner, just to tighten what i have missing now. I have tried svs but they are too coloured and have weird unnatural attack.
I am doing all filtering externally so it is not important at all.
I rather prefer sealed boxes as they seems more fast sounding.
Best
Rafal

Chrise36

Major Contributor
If you dont want to spend much you can diy. Else you have to look at servo driven subs Rythmik GR Research Velodyne ML even Yamaha had some.

OP
G

galileon

hi yea this is my thougth... i have some parts for DIY but the questionable is how good spare drivers are, i have some daytons and even plate amps but if the build with lets say 12/15inch and good sealed enclosure will be able to be better than even cheap stock subs? This is the question.
Will check U'r suggestions too, i have finger on rythimik CI kits also.
R.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
hi yea this is my thougth... i have some parts for DIY but the questionable is how good spare drivers are, i have some daytons and even plate amps but if the build with lets say 12/15inch and good sealed enclosure will be able to be better than even cheap stock subs? This is the question.
R.
You can model them in the various programs if you have the specs otherwise they have to be measured. For low end and sealed usually the bigger the better but it depends on the driver.

Everett T

Forum Donor
R.
That's why I asked which driver models, as some are better for sealed and vice-versa ported. The sealed idea for anything but music requires power and modeling. The linkwitz transform is the best way to achieve a sealed subs extension (not the only, but proven consistently)

OP
G

galileon

hi i have daytons rs 15 and 12, but this is not a problem to purchase some others just i am thinking on final solution because wasted already a lot of time and $ :) For design i know i can always ask here, just i am wodering if i will be able to achieve lets say 80% of rythmik quality going this way?
Thank U
Rafal

Top Bottom