• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMP upgrade guidance

nikkon

Hi all,

I'm looking for guidance and ideas before I make a decision.
Context: I am currently running this setup: Bluesound node + PD-CF SUPER LOW-NOISE PSU, Shiit Iggrasyl multibit as DAC, Yamaha A S2200 AMP and a pair of ATC SMC40 passive.
Once I upgraded my speakers to the ATC, I realised the Yamaha struggles to drive this speakers. I love the look, the construction quality and the sound of the Yamaha but it feels less dinamic on this speakers then the previous pair (elac). I started to look for an upgrade for the amplification part. The easy choice is the Yamaha combo C5000 + M5000, but all together they cost 20k. not cheap. Another option I was looking at is Shiit Tyr monoblock as I pretty much like the sound of the dac and last but not least I am checking SPL preamp + power amp.
What are your recommendations?

thank you in advance

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If it was me, I'd use your Yamy as a preamp and get a powerful amp option from
our member Buckeye amps. They have been measured here and provide ultra low distortion and
a fully transparent option.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

If it was me, I'd use your Yamy as a preamp and get a powerful amp option from
our member Buckeye amps. They have been measured here and provide ultra low distortion and
a fully transparent option.
let me check. first time I hear about them. cheaper as well :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Somehow Yamaha is only good part of equipment that you currently own.
Speakers are both bright and warm at the same time and generally uneven, they are low sensitivity about 82 dB per W @ 8 Ohms but not hard to drive and 5.9 Ohms min. R2D DAC is a wreck as measured hire.
How about getting a good speakers and MiniDSP Flex HT instead?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
nikkon

nikkon

what do you mean by a good speaker? I might be wrong but for me the ATC mid is probably the best I ever heard. I had elac 247 before and I find ATC a class above. but this is taste and personal preference. for the reference I am planning to upgrade the DAC as well. but first things first.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With this? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
And those speakers? No it can't.
Yamaha with 93~94 dB SINAD and up to 140 W @ 8 Ohms including long lasting reliability is probably all he will ever need and please stop with cheap Hypex SoM one's. If you want such taka a look at ATI offering but amp is only thing he doesn't need.
If he is happy with the speaker and with the DAC and only want more power, I am answering what he wants. Although I do agree that better measuring DAC and more linear speakers would make more sense too.

what do you mean by a good speaker? I might be wrong but for me the ATC mid is probably the best I ever heard. I had elac 247 before and I find ATC a class above. but this is taste and personal preference. for the reference I am planning to upgrade the DAC as well. but first things first.
Your speakers are not the most linear and neutral.

atc_scm40_quasi_anechoic.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
No offensive but this looks like roller-coaster to me.
atc_scm40_quasi_anechoic.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
He probably liked that DAC with them as it made bass stand out and mask both prominent mids and highs.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

OP
nikkon

nikkon

He probably liked that DAC with them as it made bass stand out and mask both prominent mids and highs.
It actually does. Hmm…now you turned my world upside down

OP
nikkon

nikkon

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It actually does. Hmm…now you turned my world upside down
Let's spin it around little more. Take a look for instance to Wharfedale Linton's as speakers and they are only average sensitive or about 87 dB per W but that's +5 dB. So it's not real to get 4x stronger amplifier to drive inefficient speakers not to mention price. You are IT guy so I don't have to explain much to you how much will DSP help you to achieve much better received response and of course you can tune it to your liking.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
This list is pure gold. Thank you
No it's not, you won't be able to tell the difference above 75~80 dB SINAD regarding power amplifier simple because speakers will have much higher distortion on their own. That's why first advise hire (on ASR) is to put your money to where it counts and that's speakers on the first spot.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Let's be kind gentlemen.
If lying and misguiding people into puring they hard earned cash in something which really won't make a difference makes me kind and gentlemen than thanks but no thanks. Dear sir this is not such kind of place and when it becomes I will gladly leave it. I stand behind all what I wrote.

OP
nikkon

nikkon

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Interesting. I've heard the speakers before buying and did a lot of research - most of the review websites speak super high of act. For my these speakers have been a huge financial step. Now i wonder if staying with elac would have been better.
Which Elac's?

Top Bottom