• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What sub... I know its been asked before

Nuzik

Lets be honest this question has been asked 10000 times. I may have even asked it myself but I'm now at the point of going round in circles.

So I'm replacing my HTB2 Kef. Which is very wife-friendly.

Now this sub sits next to a wall and next to a chair. Ive added a mockup of my room to it, sizes are roughly good.

My sub is where it is as its friendly and wired in, with the hard wooden floor and skirting ive managed to hide all the cables. Ideally id like to keep it there.
The other end of my room is a media wall, with floor units and worktop above so the storage is all used nicely there and therefore i am unable to move a sub to that area of the room.
The wall next to the chair is a radiator and a window.

I think that may help..

I was going to get the SVS 1000 pro but my wife hates the look of it and therefore it's now on the possible pile but more likely a never. She does like the look of the Rel 98 classic which and maybe the SVS 3000 Micro.
Because of where the sub goes I'm not sure if I favour the DF rather than side speakers.

Any other options and opinions please do weigh in, i dont have a dedicated room its my living room. With 3 kids a dog and two cats so trying to get the best of all situations.

For those on mobile and don't see signatures my equipment is Sony 65A80J, Denon X6500H, Rega Elicit-R, Rega P2, BS Node 2i, KEF R3, KEF R2C, Dali Oberon Wall, V360, Oppo 203

screenshot-2024-01-07-at-13-58-52-png.1983988

1704717399829-png.1984584

OP
N

Nuzik

welcome to ASR.

Did you see my “subwoofer comparison” spreadsheet yet? See signature.
Hey dude thanks for the response, I think i looked at it last night at 11 i was tired. I think i need to get a grasp of everything on there. It seems theres a wealth of information charts and things i need to understand.

OP
N

Nuzik

Have you looked at bkelec's range of subs?
yo! Hi Marquee, yeah i looked at the XLS400 but its a touch on the larger footprint size and from my research the 300 could be lost in the room and not give me what i need.

D

Deleted member 21114

yo! Hi Marquee, yeah i looked at the XLS400 but its a touch on the larger footprint size and from my research the 300 could be lost in the room and not give me what i need.
Never mind, thought the double gem might fit. It's quite tall though.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
When I see the white, the first subs that come to mind are from Arendal. Not sure if any will fit.

radix

Major Contributor
There are some low-profile subs that would snug up to the wall pretty well: Sigberg inkognito, Dynaudio Sub 6 (comes in white or black), Arendal subs (side firing, white/black in two sheens). I have the Inkognito, Arendal 1723 S1, SVS micro 3000, and SVS SB-2000.

The Micro 3000 is really micro. It won't give you the low lows, but if you are space challenged or need an unobtrusive sub, it might be the ticket. I use them in smaller rooms or as a 2nd sub in one case.

The Inkognito is meant to fire towards the wall or floor to get the bass boost from the surface. So in that regard, it is pretty safe for pets and kids as the speaker is not accessible. You can wall mount it too. Gallo Acoustics has a down-firing sub. SVS PC-2000 Pro and PC-4000 are also down-firing cylinders, though some pets might find them fun to climb -- it wouldn't affect the driver, but it would ruin the looks. I've not used any of the Gallo or PC2000/PC4000. I'm sure there are other down-firing subs.

3125b

Major Contributor
So I'm replacing my HTB2 Kef
Why?

I think either downfire or something with an inbuilt screen to protect it from kids and pets would be a good idea.

OP
N

Nuzik

Why?

I think either downfire or something with an inbuilt screen to protect it from kids and pets would be a good idea.

Kids are not so bad any more they seem to leave stuff alone now. And other than a soft cloth grill i think the cats will ignore it. But i do like the idea of DF.

As for why i want to upgrade, i would like a little more power, the htb2 is 11 years old and cuts out sometimes it was ok when i had the eggs but since ive moved on its the last thing to upgrade for a while I think. It also sounds a little meh

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Kids are not so bad any more they seem to leave stuff alone now. And other than a soft cloth grill i think the cats will ignore it. But i do like the idea of DF.

As for why i want to upgrade, i would like a little more power, the htb2 is 11 years old and cuts out sometimes it was ok when i had the eggs but since ive moved on its the last thing to upgrade for a while I think. It also sounds a little meh
The Kef KC62 is usually very „wife friendly“. Sure in subs size matters and there is hardly any free lunch. Check it out in the sub list from above.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Lets be honest this question has been asked 10000 times. I may have even asked it myself but I'm now at the point of going round in circles.

So I'm replacing my HTB2 Kef. Which is very wife-friendly.

Now this sub sits next to a wall and next to a chair. Ive added a mockup of my room to it, sizes are roughly good.

My sub is where it is as its friendly and wired in, with the hard wooden floor and skirting ive managed to hide all the cables. Ideally id like to keep it there.
The other end of my room is a media wall, with floor units and worktop above so the storage is all used nicely there and therefore i am unable to move a sub to that area of the room.

I think that may help..

I was going to get the SVS 1000 pro but my wife hates the look of it and therefore it's now on the possible pile but more likely a never. She does like the look of the Rel 98 classic which and maybe the SVS 3000 Micro.
Because of where the sub goes I'm not sure if I favour the DF rather than side speakers.

Any other options and opinions please do weigh in, i dont have a dedicated room its my living room. With 3 kids a dog and two cats so trying to get the best of all situations.

For those on mobile and don't see signatures my equipment is Sony 65A80J, Denon X6500H, Rega Elicit-R, Rega P2, BS Node 2i, KEF R3, KEF R2C, Dali Oberon Wall, V360, Oppo 203

Which is very wife-friendly.

I think that may help..

Your AVR supports dual subwoofer control. Maybe you can add another slim upright model and have a better frequency response in your room.Something like this maybe:

Last edited:
OP
N

Nuzik

Your AVR supports dual subwoofer control. Maybe you can add another slim upright model and have a better frequency response in your room.Something like this maybe:
not thought of that, could be an idea for sure

OP
N

Nuzik

I may look at other size subs, and i may just move it out of the way if i need to get stuff into the room.
I think im going to keep the budget under £1000

The smaller the sub the better but lets see

flitcroft

I have the SVS 1000 Pro. It has fantastic sound quality and should be able to easily pressurize your room. The Bluetooth app and wireless connection work well. However, it's very large and is not that attractive. Are you able to move it to the left side of the chair in your diagram or another place that is not too visible?

OP
N

Nuzik

I have the SVS 1000 Pro. It has fantastic sound quality and should be able to easily pressurize your room. The Bluetooth app and wireless connection work well. However, it's very large and is not that attractive. Are you able to move it to the left side of the chair in your diagram or another place that is not too visible?
The plans for the other chair is to make it smaller its actually 135cm its a cuddle seat and after that is the space between cupboards with a radiator behind. Eventually, id probably move it to the other side of the sofa theres space there, there is just no wires there currently.

OP
N

Nuzik

If i got either the SVS 1000 or the SVS 3000 the speaker on the 1000 would be about 2 foot from the sofa,
And if the 3000 id have a chair next to one speaker and a wall about 2 feet from it

Top Bottom