• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What sub... I know its been asked before

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But i do like the idea of DF.
It adds an extra variable equalizing the sub based on your flooring. That said, most DSP solutions can easily compensate.
The smaller the sub the better but lets see
The SVS1000 is pretty small compared to most. The SB3000 Micro performs about the same but is even smaller, but will cost you a few hundred more.

All this said, I’m not suggesting SVS be the only brand you consider. Just one I know a bit about. There are many other great subs on the market.

OP
N

Nuzik

I really wanted the Rel Classic from the looks, but after reading reviews and watching movies is a big part of my enjoyment i opted for the Micro 3000.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, now i have to wait for it to turn up and then set it up.

Anyone got any tips on that?

D

Deleted member 21114

I really wanted the Rel Classic from the looks, but after reading reviews and watching movies is a big part of my enjoyment i opted for the Micro 3000.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, now i have to wait for it to turn up and then set it up.

Anyone got any tips on that?
Get a UMIK-1 or similar then download and get acquainted with REW. Does the Micro 3000 have parametric EQ?

OP
N

Nuzik

im also wondering this, i currently use lfe to my sub, but that means the sub does not work when I listen to two-channel stereo as I use a different amp. Could I run an optical lead to the avr and enabled the 2 channel out mode and then use my normal amp as I do so I still get to use the naturalness of the rega direct rather than being fed seperatly

D

Deleted member 21114

naturalness of the rega
Your rega sounds exactly the same as the Denon.

Send everything through the Denon, EQ below the Schroeder frequency, try and get two (or three or four ideally) subs rather than one and then sell the other DAC / amps before they depreciate.

OP
N

Nuzik

Your rega sounds exactly the same as the Denon.

Send everything through the Denon, EQ below the Schroeder frequency, try and get two (or three or four ideally) subs rather than one and then sell the other DAC / amps before they depreciate.
Are you suggesting that my AVR and Stereo amp sound exactly the same with my speakers as that is not true. They offer a completely different sound.

D

Deleted member 21114

Are you suggesting that my AVR and Stereo amp sound exactly the same with my speakers as that is not true. They offer a completely different sound.
Yes, unless there is something pathological going on. You can test this yourself with a bit of effort, a multimeter, a willing assistant and a willingness to trust your ears not your eyes.

OP
N

Nuzik

That would mean all amps sound exactly the same? Therefore a £50 amp sounds the same as a £52,000 ?

D

Deleted member 21114

That would mean all amps sound exactly the same? Therefore a £50 amp sounds the same as a £52,000 ?
If the amp is competently designed and sufficiently powerful, yes. Build quality, power and features are what should inform your choice of amp.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Simple solution for a picky wife is one of two thing. I'll suggest my alternate solution after 45 years of marriage, 8 dogs, 12 cats, a goat,
rabbits, birds, spair kids from the neighbors, and my one and only grandson.

Stuff 2-4 slimline subs under your setting positions. You can raise the couches and chair a few inches, too (option)
Eliminate what your wife doesn't like. YOU, (no just kidding) the sub she can see.

When the kids, dogs, cats, and wife get older, it's your turn. DON'T you dare lose site of that goal either and remind your loving wife there is
a future and things will change. I've lived with my wife for 50 years total this February.

PE has some great slimline subs that will dig DEEP considering. The cabinet can be treated with @ Rhino coat if you want, you won't see
them, ay?

If you don't own the home or plan on staying use flat cable. If you're staying and want to hide cable undercut the base board for ribbon cable
It can cross under thresholds to undercut baseboards undetected. IF you run passive subs double the run, I've done that twice BUT had to
increase the width of the undercut. I used expanding foam, trimmed and repainted the baseboards. I borrowed the tool at the time.

Hidden DBA! Interesting. Another first on ASR. LOL

Happy Boom Boom.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I forgot marriage 101. They do their things (100%), you do your things (100%) and together you do YOUR things (100%).
1+1=3 Simple math. LOL the first combined 50 years is tough though. :)

Regards

DanielT

Major Contributor
Simple solution for a picky wife is one of two thing. I'll suggest my alternate solution after 45 years of marriage, 8 dogs, 12 cats, a goat,
rabbits, birds, spair kids from the neighbors, and my one and only grandson.

Stuff 2-4 slimline subs under your setting positions. You can raise the couches and chair a few inches, too (option)
Eliminate what your wife doesn't like. YOU, (no just kidding) the sub she can see.

When the kids, dogs, cats, and wife get older, it's your turn. DON'T you dare lose site of that goal either and remind your loving wife there is
a future and things will change. I've lived with my wife for 50 years total this February.

PE has some great slimline subs that will dig DEEP considering. The cabinet can be treated with @ Rhino coat if you want, you won't see
them, ay?

If you don't own the home or plan on staying use flat cable. If you're staying and want to hide cable undercut the base board for ribbon cable
It can cross under thresholds to undercut baseboards undetected. IF you run passive subs double the run, I've done that twice BUT had to
increase the width of the undercut. I used expanding foam, trimmed and repainted the baseboards. I borrowed the tool at the time.

Hidden DBA! Interesting. Another first on ASR. LOL

Happy Boom Boom.
Would you look at that. Here an under the couch subwoofer with two of them Dayton bass drivers. Engineered by a professional. You don't need to know Swedish to interpret the drawings. All building instructions can be found in the thread below.
betsad sida_element (2).jpg
ovandel (5).jpg
subb under soffan (2).jpg

Attachments

• sb1-3.png
    sb1-3.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 30
  • sb1-2.png
    sb1-2.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
  • sb1-1.png
    sb1-1.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 25
  • sb1-4.png
    sb1-4.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 24
  • sb1-5.png
    sb1-5.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
N

Nuzik

I've bought the sub. So it's a little late. But those drawings are cool going to have a look into that.

I do have my own office games room I can't have it all my own way in both rooms.

D

Deleted member 21114

There is a limit to what you can achieve without being able to measure the end result, but the following is a good start.

1. Limit the correction to under ~500Hz.
2. Get rid of the bass roll off (unless you have neighbours that don't like sub-bass)

Not to labour the point, but getting a measurement mic (~£130), REW (free) and some way to EQ your system will make more improvement than anything else you can buy.

Palmspar

Disable midrange compensation.
corection only under 300-500 hz indeed for al speakers.
its the best setting for music and movies for me.
Is your goal only movies on high volume maybe its better to keep the standaard curve, it simulates the sound in a cinema.

OP
N

Nuzik

Thanks for the suggestions guys I've updated all that.

I've done a little change in my svs app as well and hit it up one notch.

So far it's sounding very good.

I appreciate I could get a mic and REW but I wonder if that would lead me to constantly trying to reach a point of audio Nirvana.
I'm also not that clued up on it all. I may find someone local who's into that

OP
N

Nuzik

For reference this was the full screen shots from the Audysey.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114_081308_MultEQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_081308_MultEQ.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240114_081312_MultEQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_081312_MultEQ.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240114_081315_MultEQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_081315_MultEQ.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240114_081319_MultEQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_081319_MultEQ.jpg