• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What sub... I know its been asked before

Palmspar

Thanks for the suggestions guys I've updated all that.

I've done a little change in my svs app as well and hit it up one notch.

So far it's sounding very good.

I appreciate I could get a mic and REW but I wonder if that would lead me to constantly trying to reach a point of audio Nirvana.
I'm also not that clued up on it all. I may find someone local who's into that
I have a calibration mic use it to give my diy subwoofer a flat response, but for the room correction itself i let audyssey do the work.
In the hypex FA501 amp i can do more eq after audyssey calibration, but audyssey xt32 has more than 500 eq points for the subwoofer.

D

Deleted member 21114

You should measure, and here's why.

You wanted, I assume, better bass. Bass depends almost entirely on the shape and size of the room. Play a low frequency sine wave and walk around the room, it will change volume as you move. If your seat is in a space where 30Hz is quiet and 70Hz is loud, for example, your bass will sound boomy and lacking low end.

Changing the sub won't change this.

Once you measure the sound in your seat, you can move the sub to where the dips are least bad, and then bring the peaks down with EQ. This is what Audyssey tries to do, but it can't move the sub and it doesn't show the end result (the red graphs are what it hopes the response is). Doing the EQ yourself will get better results that you can verify.

Anyone who recommends a new sub without knowing the actual problem is either selling subs or doesn't know what they don't know.
The path to Audio Nirvana is to find out what is actually going wrong and fixing it until you're happy. Once a problem is solved the temptation to fiddle is gone (unless you actually enjoy the constant adjustment, nowt wrong wi' that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom