• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ambeo sound bar + sub for movies

substiub

Hello

I have an ambeo sound bar setup in an open plan area (6m x 10m). I am looking to compliment it with a sub. I have space constraints on the sub, it has to be <400mm high <500mm deep and <500mm wide. I can only have one sub installed and I will be mainly watching movies (90% of the time) and listening to music (10% of the time).

The ones that I have narrowed down to that are available where I am (AUS) are:

REL T9x
SVS SB-3000 (unfortunately the PB3000 won't fit)
REL HT-1205

I heard the T9x in similar large room to mine and it was very powerful and very fast. Unfortunately I cannot find the HT-1205 or the SVS SB-3000 as demo on display here.

I can see in the specs, the frequency response of the subs are as follows:
- Both RELs: -6dB at 22 Hz
- SVS:18-270Hz ±3 dB

What does this actually mean in reality? Does it mean that the SVS would be more suited to movies? Sorry I am a complete novice.

Budget is not an issue, I am happy to spend the money on the sub that best suits my situation.

OP
S

substiub

Thanks for the response, would it be noticeable? I should be going the SVS one then?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response, would it be noticeable? I should be going the SVS one then?
Maybe, depends how closely you're monitoring/chasing the lower frequencies....and the rate at which they roll off from the spec can vary among those, too. Be nice to see some third party measurements on the Rels, but haven't run across any. Audioholics did review the SVS. I'd take the SVS over the Rels.

OP
S

substiub

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed with the RELs as well there were two drivers, one facing outward and one facing downwards. Does the SVS have a single driver? Will that make a difference?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply.

I noticed with the RELs as well there were two drivers, one facing outward and one facing downwards. Does the SVS have a single driver? Will that make a difference?
I think the t9i does have a passive radiator (not a second driver), a variation of a ported/vented design as opposed to sealed....think the 1205 is a single 12" sealed design. The SB3000 is a single 13" driver sealed design.

Top Bottom