• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
It's statements like this that make it hard to take any of your conclusions seriously.

Welcome, what forum did you come from?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Old joke: "I'd love to help you out, which way did you come in?" :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
the ones not willing to screw up their lives doing blind tests

Shattering strongly held beliefs can be hard.
Most are too afraid to find out what they don't hear after all. Disagree? Put up the evidence to dispute any of it.

It's statements like this that make it hard to take any of your conclusions seriously.

Like when people sign up just to whine? Why not provide evidence that shows where he is wrong on this from anyone, anywhere, ever?

kokakolia

I just take issue with the last 8~9 posts for trying so hard to be right over the opposition. It's not a battle worth fighting. Because each camp won't budge. If someone enjoys their 1000$ speaker cables, then there's nothing you can do to stop them.

I like a more holistic approach of prioritizing different components over others based upon projected gains. It's fair to say that cables should be the last priority.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Oh well, I do enjoy literature, painting and drama. None of it is real, but it is definitely enjoyable.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It's not a battle worth fighting. Because each camp won't budge. If someone enjoys their 1000$ speaker cables, then there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Nobody wants to stop them from enjoying them. 'We' are more interested in keeping those who haven't fallen victim yet to not waste their money.

Even if the 'camps' don't budge, we have new members every day that learn to leave the silliness behind.

Requires effort. So, you haven't answered my question as to how well you understand this stuff. Maybe more reading and less complaining about what you don't understand.

JSmith

Master Contributor
meme-troll.gif

... after your first and only two posts here, it's certainly hard to take any of your conclusions seriously.

JSmith

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Nobody wants to stop them from enjoying them. 'We' are more interested in keeping those who haven't fallen victim yet to not waste their money.

Even if the 'camps' don't budge, we have new members every day that learn to leave the silliness behind.

Requires effort. So, you haven't answered my question as to how well you understand this stuff. Maybe more reading and less complaining about what you don't understand.
This may sound brutal, but a junkie once told me that knowing what dope does on bodies is the correct way to take dope.

Sure, for Audio is not even close, as it will not destroy your health (well, SPL can and so moshpits...), but knowing what happens to sound and it's components allows you to tinker and customize to exactly what you want. If you get there with a reasonable price, well, even better!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone enjoys their 1000$ speaker cables, then there's nothing you can do to stop them.
That's true, but false advertising is against the the law in the USA so one could bring the seller to court and have Amir as an expert witness, if he was willing.

Mr. E. Guy

That's true, but false advertising is against the the law in the USA so one could bring the seller to court and have Amir as an expert witness, if he was willing.
I was going to say "But Red Bull claims it gives you wings" However I looked it up before posting and found out Red Bull did get sued for claiming that it gives you wings, and it had to pay out a significant sum of money for false advertising.

The real issue is that the cost of a lawyer would make it so that you'd need a class action suit to make it worthwhile. Unless somebody with deep pockets wanted to do it strictly for the thrill of winning that case.

D

Deleted member 21219

I just take issue with the last 8~9 posts for trying so hard to be right over the opposition.

No one is "trying" to be right. That's projection on your part. "Right" simply is.

It's not a battle worth fighting.

That's your opinion.

If someone enjoys their 1000$ speaker cables, then there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Correct! Nor would we try. Enjoy whatever you want to enjoy. You have that freedom and that privelege. However, when you tell other people that an article is something that it's not, that it's somehow "better", making claims for which there is no evidence, then you're acting as an enabler for shysters, con men and scam artists. That's not good. Jim

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The real issue is that the cost of a lawyer would make it so that you'd need a class action suit to make it worthwhile. Unless somebody with deep pockets wanted to do it strictly for the thrill of winning that case.
Could you imagine the money Amir could make if he helped win a case and then fed the attorneys all his data. The Barns Firm here we come 1 (800) 8 million:D

captainbeefheart

If the point is getting a clean amp, I think I have better options on current Hypex and Purifi based manufacturers.

If an amp works with "just some sources", it is a piece of shit.

I didn't say it won't work with certain sources, I said some of the no feedback amps he makes have high output impedance which doesn't work will with some speakers but can work very well with others.

Speaking of pieces of shit, have fun buying a new hypex or purifi amps every few years when they finally fail out of warranty. At least a Pass amplifier will last someone a lifetime and can be fixed by a tech for short money if needed but most likely won't for decades until some of the electrolytics start to dry out. Also they hold their value unlike those throw away switching amps that will all end up in a landfill eventually. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on electricity instead of having to throw an amp in the trash every 5 years.

captainbeefheart

XA60.8

Disgusting, turbo expensive and incapable. I had no idea what a Pass Labs is when I listened to it. My old Denon 2808 at least provided clean watts on more channels.

I'm not buying this BS from you. You have a clear bias against them already so I'm certain you're going to just say it didn't perform well no matter what. That specific amp is far better than any garbage Denon Receiver. I would have at least taken you seriously if it was a ACA or something with only 5 watts and huge distortion. Get a life.

Mr. E. Guy

I didn't say it won't work with certain sources, I said some of the no feedback amps he makes have high output impedance which doesn't work will with some speakers but can work very well with others.

Speaking of pieces of shit, have fun buying a new hypex or purifi amps every few years when they finally fail out of warranty. At least a Pass amplifier will last someone a lifetime and can be fixed by a tech for short money if needed but most likely won't for decades until some of the electrolytics start to dry out. Also they hold their value unlike those throw away switching amps that will all end up in a landfill eventually. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on electricity instead of having to throw an amp in the trash every 5 years.
Any evidence you can show of this rather serious claim would be great. If you have a link to any statistics that back it up, please share.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm not buying this BS from you. You have a clear bias against them already so I'm certain you're going to just say it didn't perform well no matter what. That specific amp is far better than any garbage Denon Receiver. I would have at least taken you seriously if it was a ACA or something with only 5 watts and huge distortion. Get a life.
Whatever you want to belive is your business. I like my Death Metal on non-distorting amps.

I don't buy in dollars and I live in the most depopulated area of Europe. Fixing whatever will get super expensive not counting the massive inflation of tech services.

Some of us, surprising or not, like good sound out of the US.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
XA60.8

Disgusting, turbo expensive and incapable. I had no idea what a Pass Labs is when I listened to it. My old Denon 2808 at least provided clean watts on more channels.
This is one his designs that when beings pushed adds low order HD to the upper frequencies that colors sound for many.

I certainly wouldn't pay for those measurements in an amp or the limited power for that price for my critical listening systems .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom