• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile---2 in a row without measurements

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"I have come to believe that the stereo system that recovers the most complete reverberant airmass from a recording of an empty church, a deserted subway, or a tent in the wilderness is the highest in fidelity."

There ya go. Our systems "recover" the "reverberant airmass." Who knew?

Well, swap it to 'reproduce' and it sounds less loopy.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"I have come to believe that the stereo system that recovers the most complete reverberant airmass from a recording of an empty church, a deserted subway, or a tent in the wilderness is the highest in fidelity."

There ya go. Our systems "recover" the "reverberant airmass." Who knew?
There is certainly a lot of hot airmass in that waffle.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might the absence of measurements in the Manger review be the result of a simple website mixup? @John Atkinson or @Kal Rubinson probably can explain.
JA replied in the comments section:

Re: Manger Measurements
Submitted by John Atkinson on August 26, 2020 - 12:49pm
Stereo8610 wrote:
Are they gone? . . . But maybe measurements are just not published yet?
Acoustically, the s1's measured performance will be similar to that of the passive p1, which is linked in the text.

Stereo8610 wrote:
Curiously, the glorious previous DAC had no measurements neither.
My measurements of the two Denafrips D/A processors will be published in the November issue of Stereophile,
John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
JA replied in the comments section:

Re: Manger Measurements
Submitted by John Atkinson on August 26, 2020 - 12:49pm
Stereo8610 wrote:
Are they gone? . . . But maybe measurements are just not published yet?
Acoustically, the s1's measured performance will be similar to that of the passive p1, which is linked in the text.

Stereo8610 wrote:
My measurements of the two Denafrips D/A processors will be published in the November issue of Stereophile,
John Atkinson
I guess that answered that. I'd still want to know if the powered version of the speaker measured different. It ought to measure similarly, the question would be, 'what advantage is there in the powered version over the passive version of the speaker?' It's gonna cost more, though if it's well executed it would be worth the extra.

Veri

Master Contributor
Stereo8610 wrote:
John Atkinson
So are the latest and greatest measurements paywalled now? I think there were measurements of the Holo May in one of the last magazine issues too but they don't seem to make it onto the website.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My favorite Herb comment from the review of the speakers I own:

" To its credit, flat in-room response always delivered good vocal and instrumental tone, but musicality was noticeably reduced. Worst of all, "flat" never inspired me to listen more often or more closely to the music. For me, accuracy exists only when I become completely submerged in the music."

Luckily...I guess?...it was about systems, in general, and not the speakers in question.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Like a lot of you folks out there in ASRland, when I read a Stereophile review of a piece of gear, I go to the measurements first then look over the subjective fantasy. I dunno why, but three pieces of gear that usually fall under the category of measurable have none. I wonder if this is related in any way to that "Petard" essay, which was mostly , "well, measurements aren't everything". I know there might be issues due to the pandemic, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/manger-s1-active-loudspeaker
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-40-denafrips-terminator-ares-ii

In the print edition, the Manger is a "Follow Up".

The Denafrips is in Reichert's "Grammophone Dreams" column.

Neither of them are "Equipment Reports", where four of five reports have measurements.

The Equipment Report without measurements is the Andover Model One, a turntable-preamp-amplifier-speaker-in-a-box thing.

I see it as a sign of things being about the same.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
Oof, my pandemic lockdown airmass is already offensive enough, I don't need to add a subway airmass.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor

Tom C

Major Contributor
So are the latest and greatest measurements paywalled now? I think there were measurements of the Holo May in one of the last magazine issues too but they don't seem to make it onto the website.
Seems to me in HiFi News (current Stereophile owner), if you want to see the measurements, you have to pay. I had a subscription, but let it lapse. The measurements too often were not comprehensive. Left too many unanswered questions.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like a lot of you folks out there in ASRland, when I read a Stereophile review of a piece of gear, I go to the measurements first then look over the subjective fantasy. I dunno why, but three pieces of gear that usually fall under the category of measurable have none.
Given the amount of gear the mag reviews I'm sure Atkinson is swamped.

PS: I was going through some old Stereophile issues for historical purposes, and during the late '80s and early '90s it brought back memories. Back then, not only were interconnect wires a big topic, but CD 'rings' which were supposed to somehow damp or otherwise improve digital playback were the latest and greatest. It was laughable back then, and truly ridiculous now, looking back. But I wonder, are any of the magazine's reviewers still using these little 'sonic marvels'?

Top Bottom