• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile---2 in a row without measurements

Robin L

Master Contributor
Like a lot of you folks out there in ASRland, when I read a Stereophile review of a piece of gear, I go to the measurements first then look over the subjective fantasy. I dunno why, but three pieces of gear that usually fall under the category of measurable have none. I wonder if this is related in any way to that "Petard" essay, which was mostly , "well, measurements aren't everything". I know there might be issues due to the pandemic, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/manger-s1-active-loudspeaker
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-40-denafrips-terminator-ares-ii

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like a lot of you folks out there in ASRland, when I read a Stereophile review of a piece of gear, I go to the measurements first then look over the subjective fantasy. I dunno why, but three pieces of gear that usually fall under the category of measurable have none. I wonder if this is related in any way to that "Petard" essay, which was mostly , "well, measurements aren't everything". I know there might be issues due to the pandemic, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/manger-s1-active-loudspeaker
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-40-denafrips-terminator-ares-ii
Interesting. Could be a sign of things to come. A move towards total subjective reviews with absolutely no basis measured performance would be quite a big change it would seem. Probably better for manufacturers/advertisers but a blow to consumers for sure. I enjoy reading their measurements.

jeffbook

It would appear, based on this "review", that Stereophile is starting to drift toward technical irrelevance.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
These are just advertisements.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements often times interfere with a products story. Bummer that Stereophile moving even more in this direction. They have provided measurements on so much gear. Hopefully they will still continue to do measurements on future gear.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might the absence of measurements in the Manger review be the result of a simple website mixup? @John Atkinson or @Kal Rubinson probably can explain.

Herb's reports tend to lack measurements. Anyone know what this sentence from his Denafrips review means?

I noticed how each note's harmonic expansion activated the space between the piano and the microphones.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The measurements are basically the sole reason I bother to look at their reviews. JA's diminished role (voluntary or forced) may be a reason, but whatever, this is not good.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Might the absence of measurements in the Manger review be the result of a simple website mixup? @John Atkinson or @Kal Rubinson probably can explain.

Herb's reports tend to lack measurements. Anyone know what this sentence from his Denafrips review means?

Wow, that's some truly next level audiophool mumbo-jumbo there! "activated the space between the piano and the mics??" I mean...I think those are called sound waves. And yeah...that happens. lol

Vini darko

Major Contributor

Jibber jabber oubledo wagga wagga that jimmiy gobldegoke when jibba nonsense.... probably

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Manger did have a review of the passive version. That said, I'd be curious how the powered version varied in measurements.

I guessing it means he's reviewing R to R Dacs that don't measure as well as more up to date designs. So they gotta have a selling point, eh?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurements often times interfere with a products story. Bummer that Stereophile moving even more in this direction. They have provided measurements on so much gear. Hopefully they will still continue to do measurements on future gear.
And, unfortunately, so much of High End Audio has become about selling the story.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

On the occasions when I read Reichert’s pieces, I treat them as free verse poetry, not reviews or even essays. Much easier that way - and makes more sense too! :)

murraycamp

Forum Donor
"I have come to believe that the stereo system that recovers the most complete reverberant airmass from a recording of an empty church, a deserted subway, or a tent in the wilderness is the highest in fidelity."

There ya go. Our systems "recover" the "reverberant airmass." Who knew?

Top Bottom