• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile---2 in a row without measurements

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The obvious explanation is that in handling the CD to apply the green paint, you inadvertently removed a speck of dirt that was causing the read error. Did you ever try simply cleaning the disc to fix that problem?
If it was a speck of dust, that dust was on the disc from the time I bought it. I know I visually inspected this disc when I first heard the dropout but didn't bother taking it back for exchange because the music on it wasn't all that great, but the basic sound quality was quite good and I frequently used it for demos. I don't clean my CDs because I'm so anal about keeping them clean in the first place (goes for my vinyl too). Like I said earlier, this CD player started skipping on almost all my CDs shortly after, so the paint might have brought the CD into the edge case where it could just read through the defect.

mansr

Major Contributor
If it was a speck of dust, that dust was on the disc from the time I bought it.
That's certainly a possibility. No manufacturing process is perfect.

Like I said earlier, this CD player started skipping on almost all my CDs shortly after, so the paint might have brought the CD into the edge case where it could just read through the defect.
That's still extremely unlikely.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That's still extremely unlikely.

Question: how do you know this with such certainty? Were you there in the 1980s in the room with me ('extremely unlikely')? This is getting really silly, really fast. It happened in my presence (and my friend who unfortunately died in 2009 so he can't argue the point), so please just leave it at that. Not everything can be distilled down to absolute facts with graphs, charts, and spreadsheets to prove it. ;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Because I know how a CD player works and how light behaves.
OK You win. I'm an idiot. Unless you want to dispute that too???

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
OK You win. I'm an idiot. Unless you want to dispute that too???

Not at all, you had an experience with no controls or any attempt to set up a repeatable experiment. Best to just let it pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom